Thursday, February 5, 2015

LBD 3-Part Mini-Series

Tomorrow we have a presidential birthday, followed by Hayden's birthday Saturday, another presidential birthday (sort of) Sunday, and a Disney trip so I'm trying to squeeze in the rest of our week tonight. I can't even tell you how busy the last few days have been around here. But, it was our weekend and we've been trying to get a lot done. 

The biggest news of the week: I'M GOING TO HAWAII! In just one short month, I'll belong to the 50 states club. Now, our intention was for everyone to head over to Hawaii in the fall, but mom got asked to speak at a conference there, so plans changed. I came up with an alternative plan where I went to Hawaii with mom (even if it's for a ridiculously short time, pretty much just a weekend), and then we'll all take a cruise from Tampa in the fall to the Caribbean instead. I get my 50th state, Asa uses less vacation days so our trip to D.C. may actually be a go again this year, and the boys get to snorkel.. all at a much cheaper rate. Everyone wins! 

So I've been booking things, working on presidents, helping out with lessons by dad, and doing boring things like laundry. So, we're going to speed blog. 

Monday was National Frozen Yogurt day! So, that night we went out for our free Frozen Yogurt. 


I wanted to make my February board a little more interesting, so this is what I've come up with. It's kind of awesome, actually. (Fun fact: the presidents stand as tall in my kitchen as they did in real life, though Lincoln's hat might be slightly exaggerated) 


Asa did his three part LBD (lessons by dad) mini-series. Basically he gives a mini-lecture, and we watch crash course history. Look, even choops likes to hang out while we watch it. 


And while he works on all that, I come up with an activity to make it memorable. Indus Valley = Bath House = Make your own soap. (It's a stretch, but whatever!) 


The kit had everything we needed. 


A few seconds in the microwave. 


Pour into the molds. 


And ta-da, soap! 



Mesopotamia = Writing = Homemade cuniform 'signatures' 


Glue some macaroni to a toilet paper roll in your own 'signature' design. 


Press into clay. 


And let harden. 


Today was Egypt. Egypt = Pyramids = Sugar Cube Pyramids. 




I should be way ahead of the presidential birthday game, but I'm not. So today was all things Ronald Reagan and William Henry Harrison. I'm not sure how to squeeze Lincoln in before next Thursday, but I'll figure something out. 

 Also, best $20 amazon order in awhile arrived today. Totally excited for the buzzers. 


Next Up: Ronald Reagan's 104th Birthday! 


No comments:

Post a Comment