Saturday, January 28, 2017

Championship Sunday: 2017 Edition

Gah! We sure have been gone a lot lately, and we started on our project so late this month, getting in 17 countries is going to be impossible. It's all making for a little craziness around here. But, here's hoping it calms down. We don't have any overnight plans until Hawaii (although I'm sure that will change), but that will help keep us back on track. 

Anyway, I figured since Championship Sunday was a whole week ago, I better get to that blog ASAP. I don't know if you guys remember, but every year, when there's four teams left in the NFL playoffs (the games to determine who goes to the Super Bowl), we make some NFL inspired pizzas for the four remaining teams. I find all the recipes at the Boboli Pizza Crust website (and we almost exclusively do use the Boboli crust, even if it is pricey). 


This year we had a newcomer: the Atlanta Peach Cobbler Pizza! I am SUPER excited about the Falcons being in the Super Bowl, because I'm a fan. Even if they're a divisional opponent, I usually root for them, unless of course they are playing the Bucs. Plus, I am all about anyone who could take down the Patriots. So, go Falcons! I know it's a long shot, but here's hoping.  I did mostly what the recipe said, except, I bought cobbler mix from the produce section at Publix, and put that on top. 


They of course played the Green Bay Packers, who have the Mac & Cheese pizza.  Again, I took some help from Publix and got their mac and cheese from the deli counter. (We had just gotten back from D.C, I took as much help as I could!) 


Both of the NFC teams pizza's turned out pretty awesome. Everyone might not have been happy with the teams, but they were happy with the pizza, so it all evens out. 


For the AFC, we had the Pittsburgh Meatball Pizza.  This one would have been a new one, but I'm nice, and made it for Calib at the start of this season. I'm not a fan of the Steelers (I wanted to put at the end of my Inauguration blog how out of everything I heard & saw in DC, the most disturbing thing was how many people complimented/commented on Calib's Steeler's hoodie, but I figured that would lessen my point on the whole thing). However, I am a fan of meatball pizza. (I would be lying if I wasn't rooting for KC in the Divisional round for the second year in a row, though, I totally wanted BBQ chicken instead.) 


And, as ALWAYS we had the New England Clam Bake Pizza.  It's the Patriots, they're nearly always in the AFC Championship game. The first year, I made it according to the directions. Nobody really liked it. (I mean, canned clam, blah!), the second time I made it, we substituted the clam for crab. It was better, but still missing something. Last year, I thickened up clam chowder to use as the sauce, and it was a hit. So, this year I did the same thing, except I added cheese to the clam chowder. It was pretty much awesome. Even if we're totally disappointed to see the Patriots in the Super Bowl. 


They were good, too. But, pretty much everyone agreed the peach cobbler was the best. Other than that, there were only a couple of clam chowder pieces left at the end of the games, so that was probably the least favorite. And now we're on to the Superbowl. I better start Snackadium construction soon! 


I have a few other odds and ends for you. 

Asa and I went to dollar tacos with our friends Jen & Kayla. There was some Margaritas, Tacos, and of course reports on how our trip to DC went. And they were super awesome to get us a little something, since they hadn't seen us since we closed on our house. 

It's Lincoln Wine! We're saving it for February 12th, Lincolns birthday! 


The boys were all tucked in on the couch playing nicely together when we got home. Sometimes they do get along! 


We haven't done a lot of work on the house, although we plan on getting some stuff done this 'weekend', but Hayden did use the leaf blower, and that was fun. 


We've had the boys back on track with their book work the last few weeks, and this house is kind of perfect for that. There's lots of places to work and not have someone right on top of you. 


We've also all been doing Dulingo to learn Spanish. Hayden and I are a team, and everyone else is on their own, with their own devices. It's a pretty great free app, but sometimes you have to wonder what exactly is going on, like that time Hayden and I had to translate 'I am a horse, I speak English'. But, whatever. We also decided at the end of each week the person at the top of the leader board gets a dollar for their jar, and the people at the bottom have to watch an episode of Dora the Explorer. (Peyton doesn't look too broken up about it, but Asa wasn't pleased). 


This week's Waterstraut Weekly went up, and the winner of the Pulitzer Payout for the jar was Calib, who wrote the longest article. If you want to check it out, just click on the link. Usually they're going to write about their favorite country we did that week, but this week they wrote about the inauguration. 


Hayden finished a Harry Potter book, which earned him a new Harry Potter Funko Pop for their Harry Potter room, adding to their collection. 


Speaking of Harry Potter, we did finally make it to the theater to see Fantastic Beasts and where to find them. We waited too long and missed out on the recliner seats (lesson learned there), but we were the only one's in the theater, for the most part, so that was cool. And the movie was awesome, we all enjoyed it. 


In case you missed it, when we moved in, we seemingly inherited a cat who used to live here. His name is Herman, or William, depending on who you ask (but we go with Herman). He seems pleased to be an outdoor cat, but we have been feeding him, and he's sure happy to accept pets from the boys and watch them play basketball. 


I'll get to our trip to Disney in my next blog, we had a great time. After that last vacation, we needed a more family friendly, relaxing one! I did have some pictures on my phone from our trip to DC, that didn't get put on my computer right away, and therefore didn't make it in to my last blog (including some pictures Calib & Peyton apparently took of themselves at the Jefferson memorial), so I'll leave you with those. 



Next Up: Unwinding at Disney! 

No comments:

Post a Comment