Saturday, April 22, 2017

Earth Day: Finland

Happy Earth Day! I mulled over what country to do on this day for awhile, but I finally decided on the country that, according to Yale University, is the 'greenest country in the world' (or at least according to the study last year). So, welcome to Finland. The eccentric, quieter cousin of Sweden and Norway. 


I love the Scandinavian countries. When I make to Europe (once Peyton can apply for a passport again!) Scandinavia is the top of my list. Sure it would be cool to go to France and Italy and England and all those cliche places. But for me, Scandinavia calls to me. 

It's the land of 1,000 lakes- But really they have over 180,000 of them- and just about as many islands. The country is 70% trees. They have the 'Freedom to Roam'. You can pitch a tent, and forage for berries wherever you want! 

And I know, I know, I'm a Florida girl. I mean, I made it in Alaska during the summer, I'm sure I could handle Finland in August.  Probably not the time to check out the Northern Lights, or stay in one of those cool glass domed igloo hotels, but I could see all the other cool stuff Finland has to offer. 


I'm all about cinnamon buns, knit sweaters and I'd try my hand at some reindeer sledding. I wonder if you can do it in the summer, like we did with the dog sled in Alaska? (Oh my goodness, you have to click on that link, if for only the picture of cute little Peyton with a tiny sled dog puppy).  

But I think what I like about Finland, is they just don't give a crap. They hold weird competitions like the 'wife carrying championship', the 'air guitar world championship',  and the 'cell phone throwing championship.' (You should click on those links too, they're for real). But if none of that strikes your fancy, you can play 'swamp soccer' or go 'mosquito hunting'. 

You'll find reindeer herders in slippers listening to goth rock! 

They have 'National Sleep Head Day', where the last person to wake up gets thrown into the lake by everyone else. 

And a National 'Day for Failure', because let's just embrace the fact we all screw up sometimes, reflect and improve! 

Finland like the weird kid who doesn't care that he's weird, and that is precisely what makes them cool. Basically, Asa. Finland is Asa. Maybe that's why I love it so much. 

And sure, the naked saunas -- one for every two citizens so they say-- wouldn't be up my alley (I shudder at the thought of even having a clothes-on spa day). Plus the cost of living (and alcohol) is through the roof. And I can't drink milk with every meal. (Lactose just doesn't agree with me). But the coffee, I can get behind the copious amounts of coffee they drink! 

Mostly what I love about Finland is that they just don't talk to people. They're quiet and shy. They have friends- and really do go with that 'quality over quantity thing' (A reason I strictly keep my Facebook friends list under 200). They don't expect- or want- anyone next to them to randomly start conversations. It won't even matter the Finnish language is impossible to learn. It's a social anxiety ridden person's dream! 


Also fun fact: if Donald Trump was in Sweden, we'd all have seen his tax returns- because they publish everyone's tax returns every year. 

The boys made their Finland postcards. 


Calib's featured the wife carrying competition in the middle there (they have to go through quicksand, grass and 3 feet of water over a total of 831 feet). 


Peyton did a nice job on his Northern Lights. 


And Hayden noted the Reindeer Sledding. 



We were supposed to have blueberries as our fruit, and they were on sale at Sprouts, but someone (ahem, Peyton) ate them all, so I substituted strawberries. We also used our heavy cream and whipped up some homemade whipped cream for the pie and the strawberries. Oh, and of course, we had it with milk, to make the Fins proud.  


This meal earned five very enthusiastic spoons up! 

First of all, I know the hotdogs don't look super appetizing, but it was like eating a chopped up chili dog- but like the best one ever. The sauce is made with carrots though, not meat. It was kind of crazy. The mashed potatoes were the lightest and fluffiest I've ever had. Everyone loved the cake (even though we had to use frozen berries since Peyton apparently ate THREE things of blueberries between Wednesday and today). 

But who knew rutabagas were so amazingly delicious? And why didn't you tell me anytime before I was 35 years old? I am in love with rutabagas. I feel so awful that I lived so long thinking they were terrible, gross vegetables. 

To be fair, it does look gross when you buy it. We had to ask three Sprouts employees about it- and they usually know everthing. (To be fair to the employees there, all three of them helped look). Once we found it, one of the girls literally said 'it looks like a gross butt'. I chimed in with a 'it totally does- and a hairy one at that'. Then she ran away saying she'd never be able to unsee it. 

Also, apparently they are only called Rutabagas in the United States. Everywhere else they are called 'Swedes' 

After dinner Hayden scratched off the map, and Peyton colored in Finland. 


This morning before Asa had to work we ran to Lowes and Costco and picked up some lunch and some plants. Our planters from Iraq day died, and we needed to replace them. We also planted some seeds- cat grass for Mayble and Dipper, and Dandelions for Delano. 


Plus we used Earth Day as an opportunity for another Documentary Movie Night. We watched Planet Earth 'Pole to Pole'. Hayden had to cover his eyes several times though, and I'm crossing my fingers we don't have nightmares. 


64 countries down, 129 to go! 


Next Up: Cameroon (it's been awhile since we did an African country!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment