Thursday, November 30, 2017

Thanksgiving 2017: United States of America

We've toyed around with ideas of just when to do the United States Day, and we decided there was no better time than Thanksgiving. I mean, that's the quintessential American meal, right?  


I'm not going to go into details here, because we brushed through it super quick on Thanksgiving (I'm not so mean I make my kids do A LOT of school work on a holiday), and well, it's the last country I have to do before I'm all caught up on my country blogs. Maybe I'll come back and update with more detail later, but for now, I've got to be done blogging for my own sanity. 

Instead of focusing on the 50 states, we talked about the U.S. Territories of America Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the U.S Virgin Islands. 


The boys made their United States postcards. 


Hayden drew the whole country with some icons worth noting. 


Peyton's featured a man on the moon, the Statue of Liberty, and the Golden Gate Bridge. 


Calib took a little from all over the U.S including the Hollywood sign and the cactus's of the west. 


While I did a quick lesson I did provide them with some snacks ahead of our big Thanksgiving dinner. 


Of course we had all the usual Thanksgiving food: Turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserole, succotash, squash, sweet potatoes and rolls. 


This dinner earned six spoons up-- because my mom was here, and because it's Thanksgiving, who doesn't love Thanksgiving? 


A tradition at our house is to write on the Thanksgiving table cloth every year. I wanted to make sure I noted our 2017 project. 


Hayden took one for the team and colored in the whole United States, I hear the kitchen was smelling an awful lot like nailpolish. 


That's 154 countries down, 42 to go! 

Next Up: Norway 


No comments:

Post a Comment