Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 11- Squishy Squishy

Today, when I woke up we were anchored at the Icy Straight. This is a little bit different than all the other ports, because we're tendered instead of docking, so we have to take the little boats in. I found it pretty funny that it says right on the side, capacity for tendering is 120, life boat is 150. So like, if you HAD to you could add an extra 30 people. Where, I don't know, there's not a lot of room on those things.

Clint and Jess and Cort and Holly both got off the ship early in the day. Mom, Asa, and I stayed behind to watch the kids. We missed breakfast again (Holy crap are my kids going to be messed up on time schedules when we get to Ohio), so we took the kids putt-putting until it was lunch time. Putt-Putting with two 5 year olds and a 1 and a half year old is interesting. Garretts idea of putt putt is picking up the balls he finds, and dropping them in the hole. Gwen and Haydens idea of putt putt is dragging the putters across the ground pushing the ball to the hole. Meanwhile, Calib and Peyton were angry all the little kids were running around messing up their games. I told them they were just added bonus obstructions. They were not amused.

We had lunch in the windjammer. It was a bit hectic getting everyone's food. I felt I needed to remind Asa that Gwen is not a meat eater before he took her off to the buffet. You all know Asa, he's libel to come back with a plate full of bacon for her. At one point I took Gwen up to the desert counter, and she insisted she take hers back to the table by herself. By the time I showed back up at the table she was there with some cook in a chef's hat who found her wandering the buffet with her plate and thought it was best to help her back to her seat.

After lunch the kids wanted to go to their kids club, so we took them and Mom, Asa, Garrett and I headed to shore. There's not much to the Icy Strait. It's a couple of shops, and a beach. Except, I mean, not really a beach because where I come from beaches are sunny with sand and warmth. This beach was rocky, and cold, and rainy. I stuck my feet in, four times for pictures sakes, and was pretty sure I had frostbite. Asa's screams sent people coming down from the pier to see just how cold the water was, although one lady told Asa she thought he was overreacting a bit.. Until we told her we were from Florida, and then she nodded as though she totally understood.

As always, there were some random things in the shops. Asa picked up a kids Alaska activity book and opened it to a random page. The activity on that page: Guess how far Danny can throw the moose droppings. The activity on the next page: What can you draw out of the moose droppings. While we were standing around laughing at these pages (because, I mean, really who wouldn't?) The lady at the counter said 'Oh yea, kids pick up moose droppings and play with them all the time'. Well, I guess that explains all the hand sanitizer on the ship. And also, gross. I also found a kids book called the '12 days of summer' which I found rather entertaining. There was a crab place on the pier too, but it was again, REALLY expensive. They are making a killing on these crabs. We just took a picture and continued on our way, although they did have crab au gratin on the menu tonight, but that was the first crab we've had on the ship. Asa's waiting for crab leg night, and I'm just not sure it's going to happen.

When we got back on the ship, Cort and Holly were back from their kayaking trip, and Clint and Jess were back from playing in the tide pools. I was jealous of their tide pooling, they saw star fish and sea anenama's and all kinds of fun stuff they got to pick up and poke at. Plus, Clint and Jess had opted out of the whale watching cruise, yet Clint got better whale pictures standing on shore. He said there was a mom and baby about 25 yards out. And he got a picture of the two tails together. I didn't see any whales today, and actually everytime wildlife is spotted, I seem to never be around. It's pretty discouraging actually.

It was formal night for dinner, but luckily people don't get all that dressed up on the ship. I didn't really bring any formal wear for my family (as if we have any in the first place..come on, have you met my family? ) The food was good, but you should see us all at desert. We all order something different, play musical deserts, and call out everyone's names passing plates all over the place. It's really pretty funny. The good part about being 12 is that we all sit at one table with nobody else. The bad news, when you go off with only a few people you constantly feel like you're missing someone. Until you remember they were in your smaller group earlier, and you are no longer responsible for them. I almost can't believe this hasn't resulted in a missing child yet.

After dinner the kids went back to their clubs (yes, they are spending as much time there as it seems). Clint is amazed by this. The kids even opted out of desert to go to their clubs. How ridiculous is that? They were just too excited to go back. Tonight was pajama night, they all got to wear pajamas and make their own pillow cases. They LOVE this place. I don't know what they do thats so entertaining, but anytime they can be there, they want to be there. They've passed up ice cream, and swimming, and going off the ship to go shopping. I think that's the thing I'll miss the most about the ship, free child care. I can see myself in about a week reminiscing about these days.

Clint, Jess, Mom, Asa and I went to play penny slots. There wasn't 5 penny slots together, so we had to play the 2 cent slots. I know, we're big spenders. We all put in a dollar. I tried to cash out when I was up 4 cents, but it wouldn't give me anything but the dollar, so I put it back in and lost it all. Clint did the same thing. We all eventually lost our dollars, except for Jess who won $1.50. She cashed out with that. We don't want to be reckless with our gambling. Then we went to see an impressionist. He was pretty entertaining. He sang, and was way better than the typical 'cruise ship' singer from the night before.

When it was time to go back to the room the boat started REALLY rocking back and forth. It was awful. Now, I'm sea sick when we are in port and the boat is barely moving. In fact, I'm convinced I feel it moving even when it's not. But this even made Asa sick. Mom said it made her sick, and I haven't talked to anyone else about it yet, but I'm willing to bet not everyone held down their crab au gratin from dinner. I'm actually finishing this up the next morning, because I couldn't deal with writing this while the boat was moving so much. Eventually we all got to sleep and it's much better this morning.

For the record, our room service count is at 10. Asa's going to be really sad when he gets home and theres nobody to bring him food at all hours of the day. Justin, I would be prepared for this.
Quote(s) of the day:
Lady taking our picture at formal night: Ok everyone get all squishy squishy.
Cort: I don't want to get all squishy squishy with Asa.
So they just brought in room service and theres six plates, and I said 'those are all for you aren't they?' Asa's response 'We can share the cheesecake'.
Calib and Peyton at 11pm: We're going to go get something to eat
Hayden Running after then screaming out the door "Bring me back some ice cream!"

Next Up: (And really it's right now because we're about to get off the ship) Ketchikan, Alaska. Our last opportunity to get off the boat in Alaska.

No comments:

Post a Comment