Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Week 6: I Like Nonsense, It Wakes Up the Brain Cells

It was a pretty quiet week around here. Asa is still in training, which means he's working 8 to 5, sometimes later with overtime. He's not home until 6 most days, so I feel like I'm home without adult interaction for a really long time. I've found ways to fill my day, though. I really thought when Hayden went to school I'd have all kinds of time on my hands. The most time I have to just relax is the 45 minutes I sit in the car and wait to pick the boys up from school (it's still too hot for Hayden to bike 2 miles a day). I've found this is the best time to use my kindle, and have discovered I can use my kindle approximately 7.5 times before it dies. That other .5 becomes really boring when I'm sitting in the car with nothing to do. Thanks to writing this, I won't have that boring .5 and I just went and charged my kindle. Yay. It's really bad because my phone doesn't work pretty much at all anymore, unless it's plugged in. Which, pretty much just makes it another land line. I guess dropping it in the toilet did have an effect on it- who knew? Anyway, the rest of the day I'm doing things for other people (I'm like the queen of favors lately), or cleaning or prepping things for after school snacks, activities, homework, or dinner. I do have a lot more family time in the evenings than I used to though, and thats a huge bonus.

For craft day this week, we made paper towel butterflies. You fold the paper towel in fourths, and dip it in some colored water to make fun spots and lines,kind of the same concept as those snow flake things we used to make in grade school. Then you let it dry, and fold it together with some pipe cleaners. They actually fly pretty well.

Tuesday was Math Jeopardy night. Peyton was getting a bunch of them wrong, and complained it was much harder than the first time we did it. I tried to explain to him they were all the same problems except for the story problems, but he was beyond wanting any part of it at that point- and I think it made it worse when I told him he could do those problems two weeks ago. I didn't have the index cards to make all new problems, and I figured they wouldn't notice. Either way, they all ended up betting the whole shebang on final jeopardy. Hayden won, Peyton came in second and threw a fit like someone just told him he was grounded till Christmas, and Calib quietly came in third. I like to say Hayden is the reigning Jeopardy Winner, Peyton has become the reigning Jeopardy Whiner. I didn't even get the fit- not that I usually do from Peyton- but he wanted the three oreo cookies (the prizes are always a small treat- first place gets first pick, second place gets next choice, and last place gets whatever's left), and Hayden chose the chocolate and peanut butter chips, so he still got the cookies. I'm hoping he was just tired or something, we really have Math Night for Peyton, he has a hard time with it. Calib and Hayden are Math whizzes, Peyton's strength lies much more in Science. I just keep trying to come up with fun ways to get him to learn Math, I may have to keep searching.

Wednesday we all sat down to watch the Survivor Premier. Hayden actually joined us this time. He mostly just likes the challenges. He really doesn't get the other part of the game, and just says things like 'when are they going to pay another game?' Anyway, Hayden decided to root for the blue team, while the rest of us wanted the red team to win (we like the returning player on that tribe better). Peyton was super offended at Haydens joyous outbursts when the blue team won, and went on an outburst about 'Coach' (This guy we can't stand on that team). Hayden stared blankly at him and just said 'I like the color blue better than red'. Peyton threw his hands up in the air, like he couldn't believe the logic of Hayden- even though he's only 5. Those two, I tell you, we need an extra bedroom to separate them.

This week the boys and I made cookie dough dip. Here's the thing- I got this recipe because it doesn't have the raw egg in it that's so bad for you. But, I've been eating cookie dough as long as I can remember, and I've never gotten sick. The boys liked it, but it wasn't cookie dough-y enough for me. Apparently raw egg = deliciousness.

Friday Peyton went out with one of his friends from school, Ciara. Calib was over at his friend Casey's house, and Asa was working overtime so for awhile it was just me and Hayden- like old times! We got out Candyland, and though we haven't played it since Hayden's been at school, he still remembers how to cheat. Hayden Waterstraut, stacking the candy land deck since 2006. I'm always impressed how I get the gingerbread man (which sends you back to the beginning) just when I'm starting to get somewhere, he's just waiting to crush my hopes of ever winning the game. Anyway, Peyton and Ciara went out bowling. He came back and told Asa "I beat her both times!" And Asa said "Peyton, you're supposed to let the girl win, at least once". Peyton, the ladys man out of my boys, thinks really hard and then says "Shoot, I couldn't remember if I was supposed to let her win, or not".

Saturday we used our Aquarium pass for Swaptember again and went to the Lowry Park Zoo. They used to be a reciprocal with the Toledo Zoo, but they changed that a few months ago, so we haven't gone (if you can't go for free- why go?). The zoo with Asa is always entertaining. He compares Elephants throwing Hay around to Hayden eating spaghetti (pretty accurately) giving commentary from the elephants perspective, intimidates the Meerkats rubbing in the fact that he's taller than 12 inches, and making snakes chase his fingers while talking smack. Thats my husband, the superior mammal. The theme of our visit to the zoo: Poop. Every animal found the need to relieve themselves while we were watching them- penguins (who, fyi, don't mind swimming directly into their counterparts excretions), elephants, hippos, giraffes. Just gross- but the winner, by far, for the grossest is the Rhino. I don't know if it was the sheer mass of what was coming out, or the fact that there were two of them, standing together, going in the same pile. Gotta say, gross for me- but could not be funnier if your a boy under the age of 12. We ended the trip to the zoo with a run around the fountains. I always admire Haydens absolute disregard for getting his clothes wet in these situations. Does he know when we'll be home, how long he'll have to sit completely soaked? Does he know if I have a towel? If he's going to freeze later? No, he knows nothing, he just lays down in water forcibly squirting up between his back and his shirt. Oh, to be five. Filed under the 'things I learned at the zoo' category: Zebras stripes are also in their skin- shave a zebra and they still have stripes (I wonder how much the person had to drink that was like 'oh hey, lets shave that thing, and see if it still has stripes?) Also, pretty much every crane is named after a random object their beak resembles- spoon bill, shoe bill, saddle bill..
Now, heres the part where I talk Sports (so, you can skip this paragraph, it's totally ok, I didn't like football that much either until I knew Florida sports involved a pirate ship, and an awesome gator chomping action). We 're a football family in the fall, which I know is boring to a lot of people. I hate when my facebook newsfeed is initiated with Oh.... IO (Not impressed with the spelling of a four letter state) Go Blue annoyed me this week, because they played my Alma mater, EMU. And, lets face it, one of my kids flag football teams could beat Eastern Michigan. The biggest surprise when I saw the score on ESPN was that EMU actually are 2-1. Saturday we watched some awesome football, as the University of South Florida totally stomped on a nobody team, racking up 70 points. Plus, Ohio State lost, the Gators won and I love that.

Sunday we went over to Justins with a couple of people to watch the Bucs game. I was really worried how Peyton and Hayden would do entertaining themseleves long enough to not get bored over there, but everyone does a good job of playing with Hayden, and his toys, and Asa and Justin hooked up the Xbox for Peyton. Up side of watching the game at Justins: Asa really kept his emotions in check. Because the way the Bucs played in the first half would have gotten something broken/spilled/kicked in this house. It was an amazing comeback, and makes for an exciting second half, I just wish they played exciting football the whole game. Two more weeks till the Monday night game- I am stoked for it!
Mondays always keep me really busy, and I hate Mondays because something bad always happens- or theres so crap that unexpectedly needs taken care of. Yesterday was no different. Hayden's hermit crab died overnight. Peyton noticed this right away as he always feeds and waters the crabs in the morning. I told him to keep Hayden away from the cage, and not get his out like he usually does. He did a good job keeping Hayden occupied. Once I dropped them off at school, I headed over to the pet store and picked up a new crab. After Moose, I did not want to have to tell Hayden his hermit crab died. This is where I love having hermit crabs over any other pet- when Hayden got home he was SO excited his hermit crab had changed shells. *Phew* Although, whats the over/under on how many days until Peyton leaks news of the switch?

Anyway, I kept myself busy yesterday- I had blogging on my list of things to do, but I never got around to it, Mondays are just crazy I tell you- I didn't even sit down to eat lunch.

Other notable events this week:

Asa and I finished up watching The Office. I wish I knew someone like Dwight Schrute. Cuz, he is awesome. Also, now we can watch NBC commercials without closing our eyes, covering our ears and screaming 'don't look! don't look!' for fear of something being spoiled for us.

Peyton and Hayden used their hidden immunity idols to get out of cleaning. It was pretty epic. Not as awesome as when someone uses it on Survivor just when you think they are going to get voted off, but pretty close. Asa just started in 'Your room is a mess, you need to clean...." Peyton "WAIT WAIT! I'm using my immunity idol!" It was like his torch was about to get snuffed. Pretty awesome.

Funny Moments of the week:

Asa and I watching America's Funniest Home Videos, in which they had a segment about kids being surprised with a trip to Disney World. We called Peyton in to show him how 'normal kids react to going to Disney' (Peyton tends to argue about what park were going to, or how long we'll be in the car). He laughed a bunch and then said 'eh.. it's a long trip to get there'.

Peyton and Hayden in the bathtub, making themselves have bubble beards- Asa walks in, and Hayden says: What? We're just hanging out, pretending we have beers"

Injury Report:
1 Bee Sting (Calib)
1 Ball to the face (Calib in PE)
2 scrapped knees (Hayden's weekly PE occurrence)
1 landing in an ant hill (Hayden)

Funny Quotes of the week:

Calib: "Whats for dinner tonight"
Me: "Rumplestilskin" (Its a dish I made and let the boys name a long time ago)
Hayden: (totally serious): "We're eating the guy from Shrek?!?

Hayden: "Mom, it's kind of weird that Non-Fiction is real. Because it says Non. That seems like it isn't real. It has a non in it. That just doesn't make sense'

Hayden: "Hope you have a good day at work, dad"
Me: "What about me Hayden?"
Hayden" Have a good day at home. I hope you clean. I hope you do laundry"

Hayden: "I'm playing the impossible game- except it's even harder!"

Next Up: Leaving on a Jet Plane! We're going to OHIO! To see lots of family, go to halloweekends, drink some real apple cider and pick lots of apples to bring home. Color me excited to see fall!




No comments:

Post a Comment