Friday, March 23, 2012

Week 32: When All Else Fails- Take A Nap

Now where did I leave off? I'm pretty sure it was two weekends ago, but there was nothing all that exciting going on then. Every couple of weekends you have to not do fun things, and instead do boring things- like mow the lawn, wash the dogs, and clean the house. It's lame, but it has to happen occasionally.

I did spend two weekends ago making all kinds of homemade concoctions: I made laundry detergent, body wash, fabric softener, dryer sheets, fabreeze, and hand soap. I was like a mad scientist in the kitchen cooking and mixing all these weird random things. But, it saves a ton of money. Especially on the laundry detergent. I spent $10 on supplies 6 months ago, and I'm still using them. Well, I occasionally have to buy a new bar of Fels Naptha, but that stuff is less than $1 a bar.

Last Monday the boys had their field trip to the caves. They both had to be at school by 8:30, so Hayden had to go to school by himself an hour later. He looked so sad and so little getting out of the car and going to class by himself. It was the first time he ever had to do that. I tried to ask the boys a lot about the caves when they got back. Calib mostly told me about having to pee in the woods, and Peyton went on and on about stalagmites. So, I think you can see who got more out of their $40 field trip. Calib took a camera, and when he got home, there were four pictures on it. Two of which were the bathroom tree. Lesson learned- next time Peyton gets the camera. Although, Peyton's teacher posted the pictures online, so I have a few of them from her- Thanks Ms. Peppin!

Wednesday Asa just had a partial work from home day (as he was working a partial day on Saturday too)- but his computer ended up being weird and he had to go into the office- The second part of the day though, we went to Costco. My mom had gotten a gift card for me when she was here in December- and I hadn't used it yet, I was pretty excited about it. We got the best dip ever- it was some sort of Lobster thing, and Asa and I ate the whole thing with crackers in like less than a week. I'm so sad I don't have a membership because I can't go back and get more. RIP Lobster Dip. (Now I'm sad all over again writing about it!)

Since we filled out our brackets on Wednesday too, lets take a moment to talk about how those are going. Peyton's is killing it, Calib's is dead on arrival, and Hayden picks all the upsets. Lehigh over Duke? He's got it. Asa and I are hanging in there- but barely. And, thats your bracket update for this week.
Last Thursday I was out running some errands, and heading over to Post Net to mail some quilts to my Aunt, when I thought I'd stop by our local pet store. It's not a Petsmart or Petco or any chain like that, so I like it a lot better. The staff really knows what they are talking about, and the prices are a lot cheaper. We'd been looking at getting a new rabbit for the boys for Easter, since it's been six months since Moose died, and the boys have started asking about getting a new rabbit. They only had one rabbit left: a floppy eared very cute little brown bunny. I pet her for a little, and then started to walk away. She stood up and put her paws on the glass, as if to say 'no wait- everyone pets me- but nobody takes me- PLEASE take me home!' So, I put in a text to Asa to see if I could get her. He agreed, and so I brought her home.

When I got home, I got her cage all set up in Peyton and Hayden's room, and Asa picked them up from school on his way home. The boys came home, and put their backpacks down, had a snack, and then Peyton casually went into his room. He noticed immediately. His face was pretty much the face he makes on Christmas morning when he sees all the presents. His gasp made the other two come running- and they were both equally as excited. We decided to name her Denali after the Moose we pet in Alaska. She's friendly, and likes being out of her hutch and running around. She's been adjusting nicely to life as a Waterstraut.

Friday Hayden took his Leprechaun trap to school. We had originally planned on making a hat with a ladder to the top, and a trap door in it. But when I was at the dollar store I saw a green hat, and a bird ladder. The total bill of $2.14 was worth not having to make that stuff. We cut a trap door in the top of the hat, and super glued a gold coin to the top of the hat so that when the leprechaun pulled on the coin, he'd fall into the hat and be trapped. I'm sad to report Hayden didn't catch anything, but as he said "Olivia spent way more time on her trap, and she didn't catch one either, so I'm ok with it." Apparently, Olivia was very upset about it- and Hayden had to console her.

Saturday we went out to the Fresh Market again. Every first and third Saturday, vendors fill the street of the outdoor mall. Veggies and Fruits are super cheap, and theres usually a salsa, or bread, or cheese, or random thing worth buying for some snacks for the week. I love the Fresh Market, because it's going to do something- and it's grocery budget for the week, so I don't really end up paying anything, well, except for the $3 massive tropical snow. I can't resist sharing one of those with the family. If only I could get them on board for the Pink Lemonade one. It sounds yummy. The sad thing is that March has 5 Saturdays- so I have to wait three weeks between fresh markets this time. I don't think my produce will last that long! I may have to find the closest farmers market to tide me over.

Saturday evening we had some friends over for a cookout, and some card games. The boys were happy because they had Angela to play with. They made smores, went down to the playground, and played video games, and eventually got into the Halloween costume box and started dressing up in all kinds of costumes. The cutest was Angela as Mario and Peyton as Luigi.

The grown ups sat outside enjoying the nice Florida air, hoping we weren't too loud for the neighbors, but our neighbors are all pretty great (so far- cross your fingers). At one point, our dog, Gracie walked right through the screen door. And while Asa didn't find this as hilarious as the rest of us (mostly because he's the one that has to fix the door), we were all laughing pretty hard. Gracie is fine, by the way. The door has seen better days.

We also played the bean game, and it got pretty intense. There was adult language, near filings for divorce, and threats against people's lives. All over some coco beans. It even got super intense of the coffee beans, and coffee beans are worth next to nothing. There were some cushy deals, and insider trading.

Anyway, it was a good time- Justin even brought over his little tripod, so we got a group picture, which was more difficult than you might think to get a good picture of 11 people. Oh, hey, and I wanna thank Noah and Ann for thinking of us with the housewarming gift of an ice cream maker. Can't wait to use it! It's going on my Spring Break list.

Sunday was our 6 year Florida Anniversary. We try and celebrate every year by going somewhere very Floridian in March. While, I can't rub it in to everyone up north about how nice our weather has been- because it's equally as nice up there- I usually like to do something to enjoy our wonderful March weather in comparison.

This year was no exception: We made our first trip to Adventure Island (Busch Garden's water park) of the year. It just opened the weekend before, but we hadn't made it there yet. (You know, boring house stuff prevented that from happening). The water was pretty warm for this time of year- since the temperatures haven't even been cold at night. Hayden is now tall enough to not need a life jacket on the lazy river, and Calib still won't go on the very frightening Water Moccasin. (But Peyton will). Justin came along with us, which was a nice added addition. Plus, we had someone to take a nice family picture.

We came home and cooked out on the grill- and ate on the patio. The neighbors even brought over some beer, complete with a lime and a salted rim (told you we have cool neighbors). Speaking of which- the ones on the other side of us have provided us with lots of fruit from their yard- including a Papaya (which was fresh off the tree and super yummy), and the invitation to pick as many loquats of their tree in their front yard as we want. Later we had ice cream sundays, played a Sattler family classic of Spoons, and watched the USF Game (while they lost- it was nice to see them making it that far in the tournament.) A nice Florida Anniversary.

This week is Asa's work from home week- but Monday the boys didn't have school for a teacher planning day. I have nothing all that exciting to report from Monday because I spent most of the day shooshing them, and getting Denali out from under the bunk beds. (She really likes it back there). I wanted to take the boys out again, but I was slightly (or mostly) sun burnt from our afternoon at Adventure Island the day before, so we ended up staying home.

This Wednesday Hayden stayed home from school, sick. I had planned on blogging Wednesday, but with him home it threw a big wrench in the plans. He did seem to get miraculously better around lunch time. But, I mean, it's kindergarten- how much did he really miss? We spent the afternoon doing his homework for the week, so that's done and he still learned things. So, it's fine. Although, I did tell him I'd have to write his excuse note saying: "Please Excuse Hayden from school on Wednesday. He was at home faking being sick". He was not pleased with that.

Then Thursday I planned on blogging, but I had gotten an email from my brother, Clint, saying he was going to be in town. When I called him, he said he wasn't feeling all that well- but that if he felt better him and Jessica would come over for dinner. I didn't tell the boys about it, because I didn't want them to get all excited, and then be disappointed. Shortly after they got home, Clint called to say he would come- but Jessica was staying at the hotel to sleep. So, we told the boys "Uncle Clint is coming to visit" they replied with "When", so we told them "Right Now!" and all hell broke loose. They were very excited to see him.
We cooked out again, because really, it's the best time of year for it- and we still had side dish leftovers from Saturdays cookout. He played some games with the boys, and we all played a card game together out on the patio. Then there was some wrestling, and loud noises coming from the living room, and before we knew it- it was bedtime. Glad he stopped by though- the boys were so happy to see him, and Clint is small doses is always pretty great. We tried to skype mom to surprise her, but she was off with her 'garden club'- which given her description has turned more into a 'drinking club'. You know those garden club ladies- they know how to party.

I guess Friday is my new blog day? Because my birthday is 20 weeks from today. Oh geez, is that all?

Most Useful Project Completed:
Homemade Belly Bands for the dogs. Phenoms got one with little wiener dog's on it!

Best Come from behind win:
USF Men's Basketball team, who shot just 11 % the first half. Awesome to watch the second half, not so much the first.

Best Banana Bread add in:
Pineapple!

Worst City to Live in for Reality Television:
Tampa. Both our Survivor and American Idol Representatives got voted off last week.

Best Use of Old Planters:
Me- Check it out:


Finally Finished Project:
Calib's $11 Dresser, And FINALLY Framed our invitation and program from our wedding ( I've had the frame ready to do it forever)- Check it out:

Worst Use of Dog Beds:
That would be Porkchop on the big dog bed, and Gracie, trying to squeeze into the small one.

Next Up: The 300th Taco, Kindergarten Musicals, and Asa's 29th Annual Birthday Extravaganza!

No comments:

Post a Comment