Saturday, September 21, 2013

Swaptember, Waffles & Nerf Darts


Blogging again in an effort to procrastinate. Asa is working today, since he had a day off earlier this week, and thus lost an in the office day in favor of a Saturday work from home shift. That usually makes for long days for me. I'm trying to get our October home school calendar, in which I've decided to mix things up a little. I'll fill you in on that when it comes around though. I'm still trying to navigate two kids at home school. So, coming soon: New Concept weeks, and Mastery Weeks. Alternating of course.  Plus, I had plans to clean out our closet today. It's in desperate need. And on top of all of that I'm working on our October menu, which is a little trickier; since October in the Waterstraut household for the second year in a row is 'No Recipe Repeat October'. It's a weak title I know, but basically we eat something new for dinner every night. I'm pleased to report Calib will be cooking twice, Hayden will be doing his waffles, and Asa said he wants to cook some too. Anyway, all this makes for lots of lists and organizational work for me. So what do I do? I blog. That's how I roll. At least until the Gators play TN at 3:30, then I'll have something new to distract me. 

We had kind of a slow week around here. Not a ton going on. Manners Monday was all about what not to bring to the table, and recap on how to set it. They did pretty well. I'm still trying to get Asa to wear a shirt to dinner; especially if its Manners Monday. 


Also worth noting, I love how Hayden is getting better and better at entertaining himself. There was a fear with him that he would have too much time on his hands with being home schooled. He went from two hours of free time a day to much more than that. But, he's doing a great job when we don't have an activity or home school. Note his Toy Story Figures/Nerf Dart Target Practice. 


Teamwork Tuesday didn't go as well as I would have hoped. Mario cart is a 3 lap race.. The boys were to complete a race with each of them doing a lap and then handing off the controller. If you notice, Hayden is in 12th place and Calib is up next. I'm glad I accurately captured how this week went. 


Hayden did earn another Hummingbird this week. He's sending them out to in a chain letter type thing to spread random acts of kindness. Added bonus: We got our free map from AAA in the mail this week to track the birds! 


Thursday Asa was home, the dogs were pleased, and after a little work we headed out. 


It was free queso day at Moes. Which isn't as good as Cinco de Moes, but still a nice freebie. We hardly EVER do meals out, but with our new found fortune coming in at a semi-regular basis, we figured we'd earned a treat. 



After lunch we went out to the Lowry Park Zoo. Thanks to Swap-tember, the month where Mosi, The Zoo, and the aquarium are all free if you have the pass to one of them. Since we've been home schooling, I notice we really talk to/ read to our kids more when we're out and about. Everything is a learning experience! In their Friday Journals, they list 3 facts they learned this week, 1 thing they still have a question about, and 1 thing they learned how to do. I think it'll be a fun keepsake. Both of them had at least one fact they learned at the zoo. (Peyton also included that GiGi is older than TV-- he got that one thanks to his timeline) 



We did eventually convince Hayden to pet the sting rays too! Notice the complete lack of other people in the background. Going out on weekday afternoons rocks! I didn't take a picture, but we even got to see both black bears, and those guys aren't usually out. 



Thats a Manatee in the background in case you're wondering. 



And Peyton spent some of his money from Grandma to feed the Lorikeets. 





I tried to convince Hayden to feed them. It was fun. 


So, I had to hide my displeasure when one landed on my head. What you don't see in this picture is that I am forcefully holding Hayden forward. He kept trying to back away! 


And before we left, we cooled off and pet a snake. Not a bad field trip if I do say so myself. 



 We stopped on the way home to pick up a few things at Publix. The boys were really happy when we finally bought some flavored water drops, and I picked up a quarter of a watermelon. I cut it up and we all had it for our afternoon snack.. Including some little baby pieces for the rats, and the rind went to the tortoise and the rabbit. 



Wednesday night when we were all totally gorging and vegging on TV together (Survivor Premire + Big Brother Finale = 3 hours of Waterstrauts watching TV), Asa got an email letting him know his project was accepted, meaning he passed another class. Thursday we picked up the stuff for rootbeer floats and celebrated! 


Sidenote: I put up with so much as a parent to boys. Like when I'm laying in bed at night all comfy cozy, and my middle child decides to come in to hang out.. Complete with three rats. 


Fun Friday was a go this week too, no ketchups here, only pickles. We experimented with taking guesses on how many paperclips we needed to put in the glass to have the water overflow, did our brown bag book report, and played some Plinko.




We've also been ambushing Calib when he gets home from school. Wednesday it was light sabers, and Friday it was this: 



Waterstraut Waffle Wednesday dropped the last W this week, as Hayden's tummy was upset so we ended up having Waffles on Friday. He did really well making Waffles from mix. I hardly had to help him and he read the table on the box to figure out what he needed to add. 


I was busy getting the eggs on the table when I asked Asa to take his picture. This is what I got.


And then he said 'Awesome. But Mom probably won't like that one, so I'll take another'. 


And that's it for your Week in Waterstraut World. We are just full of Alliteration! 

Oh, and fun tidbit for you: Last nights Rays game went into 18 innings. Yes, double the normal game. It ended at 2 am this morning. And the Rays are back at it again today at 1. I heard an hour before the gates opened and the clean up crew was still trying to clean the stadium! All nighter for them. 

Next Up: Probably getting back to Procrastination, and Please, please please a Bucs win! 




No comments:

Post a Comment