Thursday, December 26, 2013

Survivor: Waterstraut Island

I am actually wayyy behind on this blog. It's been at least two weeks, and what feels like a month since I last wrote anything. I had every intention of getting one done before we headed to Ohio. But, that just didn't happen. Regardless, I need to split those two weeks up into two blogs- because I'm not sure the picture limit, but had I included it all in one blog, I surely would have reached it. 

So, lets rewind. We've been working on our Christmas punches out of our punch board. Usually we decorate the fridge like a snowman. But, I use the fridge for so much home school organization that I had to come up with an alternative-- a dishwasher snowman it was! 


We also made some paper plate tree topper angels. Luckily, our weird tree had two tops. Plus our 'tree' made out of upside down painted pots on the table fit one perfectly. 




Still plugging away at home school, Hayden was on a new concept week. I made him this roller coaster to help him with rounding. But, he really didn't need it. I just explained it to him. Five minutes later he had it down. He hardly looked at the thing. 


Also on tap for our punch board, the Christmas Tree Sleepover. I often wonder when the punch board will become obsolete in this house. But for now, this is one they all still jump up and down for. We watched The Muppets Christmas Carol, ordered a pizza, and hung out together. So much fun. 


We also try and replicate snow, and so once a year we have a 'snowball' fight. It snows about half a package of paper (usually lined- it's much cheaper than printer paper), draw a line in the middle of the room with the boys on one side and Asa and I on the other, and then set a timer. The side that has the most 'snowballs' on their side when the timer goes off, loses. I try and let the boys win. Asa does not. 



The next night we had a new punch- the snowball slam game. We made 'snowmen' out of styrophone cups and then used rolled up socks as the snowballs to knock them all down. The boys really liked it, so I worked it into another activity later that week. 


We had our usual cookie day, and made all the cookies to take to Ohio. The only difference though, this time all the kids weren't gone to school and I had some helpers. 



I even let Calib make the rum balls. Rum and all. 


As usual, my baking went poorly. There was a decent amount of profanity coming from the kitchen. This year even my no-bake cookies turned out poorly. They just kept falling apart. They were all crumbs! 


Asa and Peyton did less helping, and more eating. 


I had planned on making toilet paper roll reindeer. I'd been collecting toilet paper tubes for awhile for this project. The boys kept wanting to add things, or make more reindeer. We ended up with all the reindeer, a sleigh and Santa. 




Asa got quite the haircut last week too. After the boys had all gotten haircuts, I pulled out my scissors for Asa's. But the scissors are on their way out, and so I gave up and used the clippers instead. The result was an older, more grown up version of Asa. (In appearance only) 


Saturday I took Hayden to the library for the Holiday crafts. He picked the library over the build n grow class at Lowes, since they were at the same time. 


When we came home, he used his arts and craft skills to help me make some torches and an immunity idol for our activity later that night. In honor of the Survivor finale, we played Survivor: Waterstraut Island. But, I'll get to that. 



On Sunday, Sophie and Gracie were turning 10. I made their doggie cake the day before, since we were going to be at the football game on Sunday. 


And then we headed out to the Riverwalk in Tampa. McDonalds held a twitter contest to bring winter to one southern city. Tampa won, and so McDonalds dumped some snow, and handed out hot chocolates. The whole event was totally free. The boys were happy to play in the snow. 



It was a little out of place. Despite our war clothes, it was almost 80 degrees out. So the snow was melting VERY fast. It was the hard icy, heavy wet kind of snow. But, my kids didn't know any difference. 



We even built a tiny mini snowman. 


And attempted to make snow angels. (It didn't really work, the snow was so hard) 



I really enjoy the snow pictures with the palm trees in the background. 


And throwing the snow into the river to see how long it would take to melt. 


There was lots of snowball throwing, and snow down peoples shirts. 




It was a little chaotic. Peyton found a random flip flop in the snow. 


But the boys had a great time, and then we walked along the river walk and over to play at the playground, and throw the football around in the grassy area. 




On the way home, everyone's shoes were so wet we took off our shoes and just went barefoot. After all, it was nearing 80. 


When we got home, we played Survivor: Waterstraut Island. Pictured here is your final four. 


In the second to last (and first immunity challenge), the contestants were each given a tablespoon of dates. First person to finish wins immunity, and is safe from the vote tonight. 



Calib wins immunity! 


Tribal Council got ugly, and the alliance of Peyton, Hayden, and Calib stuck together....



First person voted out of Survivor Waterstraut Island, and the first member of our jury... Asa. 


In the final immunity challenge, the contestants had to locate their two 'snowballs' (socks) in their piles of laundry. Once they located both, they had to use those snowballs to knock over their 'snowmen.' (cups) The first person to knock over all their snowmen wins immunity, and has a 1 in 2 shot of winning. 


Calib wins immunity! And everyone headed to tribal council. 


Calib being the sole vote, had promised to take Peyton to the end with him. 


However, when he flipped on him and decided to take Hayden to the end instead, he angered all the members of the jury. 


And in the final tribal council, in which the jury asks the remaining two contestants why they think they deserve to be the winner, things got ugly. 


After a 2-0 vote, Hayden became the sole survivor, and the winner of Survivor: Waterstraut Island. 


And all my pictures pretty much tell the stories of everyone's mood. 


Sunday we headed out to our very last home Bucs game. (Note: Peyton is not wearing his lucky Navy hat in which we've never lost when he was wearing it. They asked me to go back for it, and I refused) 


We had one final tailgate with Maid Rite Sliders and all kinds of yummy sides. 


Asa got his 10th cup (a different one at every single game) 


And despite the fact that it was in the 60's, Peyton was happy I brought the blanket with us. 


But the game was not a good one. The season was not a good one. Just bad all around. 


Asa wanted to leave early, but I refused. I had sat until the clock hit zero every single game. I wasn't about to bow out early on the last one. So, we sat there yet again until the clock hit zero. 


Despite all the losses, we had a lot of fun times at the stadium this year, and will likely get season tickets again next year. 



When we got home we celebrated the girls 10th Birthday! 




To be continued... In Ohio.. 


No comments:

Post a Comment