Sunday, October 12, 2014

Science Week Mania

Welcome to Science Project week here at the Waterstrauts. It's a theme week/break for the boys, and good timing as we have yet another visitor on the way (my mom is coming to visit!) and it'll be good to wrap them up and not do normal book work (remember how that stressed me out last time we had someone here?) Calib has been studying all things volcanoes, and Peyton is working on rocks (more specifically geodes). While Calib hasn't started his volcano construction, Peyton has been observing his experiment for the past few days. He actually is attempting to grow some crystals in eggshells. 


In the red egg shell there is a sugar water mixture, the blue contains a salt water mixture, and the green contains a baking soda water mixture. As the water evaporates, we should get some crystals! 


Hayden meanwhile is working on some gummy bear science. He measured and weighed each gummy bear. 


And then he made his predictions on what would happen to gummy bears being soaked in different liquids. 


So for a day not only did I have crystals growing in egg shells taking up prime real estate space in my kitchen, but I also had gummy bears being soaked in water, salt water, vinegar, and baking soda. 


I'll give you a sneak peek of the results, Hayden was so excited to about watching these, and gave me what seemed like hourly updates. The next day we fished them out of their liquids. 

Hayden then measured and weighed them to see the changes, he'll be finishing his packet later this week, but he has his results recorded. 


We also had some random little science-y projects going on this week. Hayden and I are making raisins (which is actually quite the long process) Here we are after a day in the sun. 


This is about three days into the process. We're getting there. 



I also had picked up some cute little grass growing kits at Target awhile back (on clearance for 30 cents a piece!) We all planted those according to the directions. 


Once the grass grows, Peyton's elephant will have some hair. 


Apparently the other big news of the last few days is this box. I am not kidding. I got my subscribe and save order of paper towels (24 rolls of viva paper towels for $10 delivered right to my door, can't be beat!), and Hayden was in love. He's been playing in it non-stop. He even did his reading in it several times this week. I'm slightly annoyed at this large box floating around my house... but you know, childhood memories win out over a mess every single time. 

And to be fair, he's not the only one who loves this box. Maybel and Dipper are fans for sure. 


Also worth noting, this week Calib had his home school evaluation was Thursday, and of course he was signed off on, leaving us good to go for another year. I am two weeks ahead of schedule too, it's not even due until the end of October. Whoo! I could not be more happy that I'm done with evaluations until next August. 

Saturday Asa was working from home and it was a very busy run around kind of day for me. Hayden had his build n grow class at the Lowes in New Port Richey (I cannot wait until the new one is built here!) 



He did a great job, and only needed a little help from me. 


His haunted house even has a little flap on the top so you can put things in it, it's pretty cute.  


We stopped home for lunch and headed off in the other direction for a new free event we just learned about- Lego Builds at Toys R Us. You just go in, collect the pieces you need and the instructions, and then you take it home. Pretty cool. 


It amazes me how Hayden can't seem to follow my directions, but his build n grow- and these lego directions he has down pat. 


It's not the best picture, but he built his Star Wars ship in no time flat. 


I was only home long enough to collect library books and watch Hayden put his lego build together when Peyton and I headed out to the library for his tween game day. This Sunday was the community garage sale for our subdivision, but as I said last blog- there's not a ton of money to go around this week, so we didn't check it out. However, on our way out of our neighborhood, we noticed some computer chairs that didn't get sold during the garage sale out on the curb with a 'free' sign on them. Peyton has wanted to replace his, but I couldn't get it in the back of the car, so Peyton offered to wheel it home. It's actually a really nice chair, too! 


After we dropped off the chair, we headed out to the library. He enjoyed some games with his friends, and I spent an hour gathering up some books for everyone for the next week or so. On the way home, I did spring the $2 for Peyton to get some tater tots and a slushie for happy hour at Sonic. 


This morning Asa and Calib got up early to run the Second Annual Bucs Treasure Chests 5K. Peyton went along for moral support, and to be the camera guy. I thought it wouldn't be wise to get Hayden up at 5:45 to go to the stadium, when he'd just have to go back to go to the game so we stayed at home. 



Calib finished in half an hour and wasn't pleased with his time at all (though, I think that's pretty awesome!), and Asa finished about two minutes later and was pretty happy with his time!


They came home to shower, but Calib was already pooped for the day. Since I usually don't seem him before 11 am, 5:45 is quite the adjustment. I told him tomorrow I'd let him sleep until noon. 


We did pick up some PDQ for a quick easy tailgate. 



But there wasn't a lot of football throwing- as we got there later than normal, and Asa and Calib were pretty tired. 


But, as usual tailgating was the highlight of the game. 



It went south quickly today for the Bucs. I tried to tell Asa to smile, but this is what I got. 


And to be fair, we were down 21-0 halfway through the FIRST QUARTER. 


And it was hot, I'm talking hottest game of the year. The heat index was at least 100, and there was no cloud cover, which is the first time that happened all year. 


By halftime is was 38-0. Not good. 


But, I did resubscribe to my flip flop tan lines. 


Here's the thing, we never ever leave Bucs games early. We have always stayed. But, between the boys being up since 5:45 this morning, the heat and (my big reason to leave) the sunscreen running out after two applications, and the fact the Bucs were down by 38 points we decided to leave at half time. I was shocked Calib didn't argue. Usually him and I refuse. But, this was probably a good decision for us.  How do I know this was the right decision? We'd been in the car for 5 minutes and Calib. Plus, somehow after the two applications of sunscreen and having only been there for half the game, we were all suburnt. 


So we came home, had dinner that we had wisely put in the slow cooker and watched some NFL red zone. Then Asa, Hayden and I went out to enjoy free coffee week at RaceTrac.


 Last year we had SO much coffee/cappuccino/hot chocolate during free coffee week. I suspect this year will be no different. 


Oh and hey and before I go, can I take a minute to say how CRAZY Disney wait times have been lately? I mean 130 minutes for Rock N Roller Coaster? Are you kidding me? That's crazy talk! 


We're all headed to bed super early tonight. Between being up early, some of us running the 5K, and the sun we're all pretty exhausted. Plus Asa is on an office week (boo!) 

Next Up: More Science, and Grandma is coming to visit! 



No comments:

Post a Comment