Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Waterstraut Wednesday Wrap-Up

December, 2014. Thats just crazy talk. I don't chunk things off into years, I especially dislike the whole 'this is a good year, this is a bad year', whatever- every day should be it's own. But, it does make you realize how quickly time is moving. Kids do that to time. They really distort it. But, anyway, here we are in December. We wrapped up all things Native American for Thanksgiving this week, and now we're full steam ahead to Christmas! 

We set out Sunday for what might end up being our last Bucs game of the season. Because of Asa's new promotion, his schedule had to be changed slightly until the next shift bid. So, he will be working Sundays. This is fine with us, as we already sold our tickets to the Green Bay game (we doubled what we paid for them, of course we were going to sell them!), and with him working during the last home game, we might just sell them all. Or, we might sell the 5 of them and buy Calib and I tickets down in the 100 level. I just don't see the four of us going, because we wouldn't tailgate without Asa- and that's Peyton and Hayden's favorite part. 

Tailgating is fun, really the best part of our Sundays down at Ray Jay. 


This week we cooked out some hot dogs and brats. 


And brought along some sides to complete our lunch. It was gorgeous weather, and we threw the football around and enjoyed the breeze. 


The Bucs were up early, but the feeling in the stadium was still pretty deflated. Everyone knows being up by 10 means nothing to the Bucs. We still find a way to have a good time, though. 


This weeks give away was flags for your car. Hayden found a fun use for them. 
'

I really thought we might win this week. We had a chance, with the ball in the final minute or so. But, as usual, that didn't work out so well. I'm not really sure what I want them to win for anymore. Here in Tampa, we're already looking forward to the draft. Make more mistakes for Mariota! (That's Calib's line) I'm really fine with any new quarterback. Like, ANY new quarterback. 



Monday we were back at Native American Week. I had wanted to finish it all Thanksgiving weekend, but after getting back from Saint Louis, I took a couple of days off and screwed up the whole schedule. It worked out ok though. 


Our last geographical area we covered was the Pacific Northwest. Couple of quick facts we covered- they did not farm at all, but thanks to hunting large animals and fishing they always had an abundance of food. They lived in plankhouses, made canoes, and constructed totem poles- because of all the trees they had, they made lots of things out of wood. We covered the Nez Pierce tribe, who actually were pretty nomadic during the summer. 


We made canoes out of cork. 


And floated them in the bathtub! (Yes, that's my children still wearing PJ's at noon) 


I actually picked to do the Pacific Northwest last, because I wanted to save what I thought was the best project, for last. I've been saving bottles, jugs, and containers for awhile just for this project. We were making our very own totem pole. Painting it took awhile because you had to wait for each layer to dry. Since it took up my whole kitchen table we got it all in between lunch and dinner. 


Realizing I didn't have a nice stable bottom for it all to sit on, I wrapped a box in paper and painted it. 


Calibs part of the totem pole after two layers of paint. He used a Publix lemonade jug. 


Asa's part of the totem pole after two layers. He used a breadcrumbs container. 


Peyton painting his second layer. He used a laundry detergent container. 


I realize I don't have a picture of Haydens in the middle of his painting, but he used a pop/soda bottle for his. Then, we cut an X in the top of the box and stuck a PVC pipe down in it. I secured it with some tape. 

Then we just started putting them on, cutting an X in the bottom and tops. 


Haden's however, fit nicely on the top. The PVC pipe ended up being like a half an inch too tall, so there is a teeny tiny bit of the pole visible between Calib and Hayden's, but Asa and I called it good enough. It fits just on top of the kitchen cabinets and runs up to the ceiling. Except for the box at the bottom, I think they would be totally fine outside, so maybe when we end up moving we could put it out by our garden and run the pole into the ground. We'll see. 


Dinner for the Pacific Northwest Coast consisted of halibut and shrimp, and a wildberry crisp. We cheated a bit and added from fries and some veggies, but it was a delicious dinner. Thanks to Asa for making it! 


Adding the Northwest Coast to our board, and we've got it all colored in! 




Tuesday was our Native American day wrap up. Everyone picked their favorite geographical area. They each read a book on that area, and then used some of what we made to make a whole scene out of it. Then they filled out a worksheet I had made up about their specific areas, and gave a quick presentation. (I told you you'd see some of our projects again!) 

Hayden chose the Northeast Woodlands. If you recall, we covered the Shawnee and the Iroquois. They lived in a combination of long houses and wigwams, hunted rabbit and deer, and were good farmers. Below is Hayden's scene. The brown felt is their garden, the long blocks are deer, the small blocks are rabbit, and Lots-O from Toy Story is the bear. He completed his look with three wigwams, and a campfire. 


Hayden, loved playing with his, so we didn't glue any of it down. It's all totally movable. This reminded me of our toy timeline and how he used to act out Jamestown, the Mayflower, and the American Revolution with his toys. 



Peyton meanwhile, chose the Southwest Native Americans. We covered the Hopi and the Navajo and built a pueblo (an apartment type building out of adobe). He painted the ground to look like sand.  


While that dried, he worked on getting his worksheet done. When he was finished we strung together his Native American Book. 


He added sand paintings to his scene by using some double stick tape and recreating the sand painting projects we had earlier in the week on a smaller scale. 


He added some navajo rugs by coloring sandpaper, and then made some pottery out of playdough. 


Calib, meanwhile picked the Great Plains Native Americans. If you recall, we covered the Pawnee, Souix, and Cheyenne. He used all three teepees, and some felt to create a river or stream. Then he made some buffalo out of air dry clay, and a campfire out of bits of cork left from our canoes, and some pipe cleaners. 


There's all board, all done. I'm surprised I got it all to fit, but I did. I kind of love this board. I HATE taking these down. But this new color coding system is pretty wonderful, and I think I'll be sticking with it for sure. 


After dinner, and a trip to the park, the boys gave their presentations. Apparently when we were talking about a "scene", Hayden thought we meant a little play. He acted one out with his toys. We all just kind of went with it. 


Calib gave his presentation, complete with the war bonnet from Great Plains Day. 



And Peyton added a couple of Disney Infinity guys to give his presentation. Overall, I was really happy with their work. They did an awesome job this week.

Last night we also did our monthly Jeopardy. Our categories this time included the Potpourri (filled with workbook questions for Calib and Hayden and field trip to Saint Louis questions for Peyton), Name that Tribe, Native American Culture, Name that Geographical Area, and the ever popular Jeopardy re-do. For that category, I just keep a pile of questions they got wrong last time and slide them back in. It's nice to review things they previously got wrong, and easy for me since it's a whole category I don't have to worry about when I type up the questions. 


Asa played host, and the boys did well. I think they could have done better if we had done pop quizzes throughout the week though, so lesson learned on that one. 


I kept track of the wrong and right answers, with the help of Maybel. 


Today is a day off around here, but the boys did do their Waterstraut Weekly articles (I'll get the online edition up soon, I'm just waiting on Asa's-- you've got to read Hayden's 'What Grinds My Gears' this week, I love it.), and Asa finally got to use the panini maker. We submitted our rebate as soon as they came, and I already used my Kohl's cash to check off one of the last few items on Calib's Christmas list, so they really are going to come out to around $1 an item! We're pulling out the Waffle making tonight for Waterstraut Waffle Wednesday too! 


Since Native American Week and Thanksgiving are over, we're moving on to Christmas. We won't be getting our tree for awhile, as I'm worried about Dipper's first Christmas being pretty disastrous to our tree and our ornaments, but I did get our punch board made. It's smaller than usual, since we won't be starting it until the 15th, but it's one more thing off my to-do list! 


Since book work and most work really is out of the question till the end of this month- we're squeezing in another fun project. Each of us are picking a country, and learning about Christmas in that country. I made us each a packet to complete, and then we'll each have a day to present what we learned, do an activity with the family, and have a meal like they would in that country on Christmas. There might even be some presents involved. 


In an effort to get the most diversity, I wrote all the continents on an index card, making North America OR Australia on one card to give a little more of an option to that person. They could then pick any country on that continent. Today at lunch, we  randomly drew our continents. 




Asa didn't want to draw second to last (I took whatever was left), because he really wanted one over the other. 


Calib got North America or Australia. He's chosen North America, and is going for Greenland. 


Peyton chose Asia, and decided we would celebrate Christmas as though we were in Japan. 


Hayden drew Africa, and picked Egypt, probably because that's the only country in Africa he knows. 


Asa was quite displeased, as he drew South America. He reluctantly settled on Argentina, even though I told him I didn't care and I would switch. 


I got Europe, and I think I'm going to do Denmark. I thought about Latvia or Lithuania, until I read about fish soup for Christmas dinner- No, thank you. 

That's it from here! 

Next Up: Football games, Waterslides, and Cookie Day! Oh, and the biggest pay check we've ever seen! (Someone worked some overtime because he's such an awesome husband!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment