Monday, October 12, 2015

It Ends Today

You guys, spoiler alert:  it finally happened. 

On Sunday, the Bucs played the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Jags were on an 11-away-game losing streak. The Bucs were on an 11-home-game losing streak. One of them was going to end. 

We crossed our fingers it would be us. It's not awesome to have season tickets, and go nearly two years without seeing your team win. 

But up first on Sunday was the Bucs 5K. They've held one every year for the last three Octobers and Asa and Calib have run it every year. I was sure there was no way Calib was getting up at 5:45 to run a 5K, but apparently, I was wrong. 

I didn't go for a couple of reasons. It's probably not a time of day you want to get Hayden up and expect to have him make it to the game later, plus James needed dropped off at the airport, and we're still working on that bigger car to fit everyone. So, I stayed in bed, and James got to be my picture taker before getting dropped off at the airport after the race. 





Both of them ran in it 30 minutes, but Calib crossed the finish line before Asa. (Calib was 4th in 15 year old boys, which I thought was pretty impressive-- and 19th in all 15-19 year olds). 


They dropped James off, came home and showered, and we all headed out for tailgating. 




Calib was tired, but a total trooper. 


Off to the game we went... but there were no free Club seats for us this time. 


We did get parachuters into the stadium though! 


And, I wouldn't call our seats bad. 


I kind of like our home in 344 row J (except for headphones guy that sits a few rows in front of us, that guy is just the worst- he wears headphones, listens to the game, and announces to everyone around him things that happened two minutes ago.)


We had nice weather. Sunny and warm, but the breeze made it more than bearable. 



It was back and forth for awhile, but by the fourth quarter it was apparent... THAT THE BUCS WERE GOING TO WIN A GAME! Jags fans left (which was nice, because you'd expect a team who knows about losing not to be cocky jerks, but that was NOT the case), and it was all these Bucs fans taking what a guy around us deemed as "victory selfies". Which, I mean, obvs- we hadn't been able to do one since 2013! 




I promise you, Calib was happier about the game than he looked- remember he'd been up since 5:45. 


I can't even believe it finally happened. I'm aware the Bucs are not currently a great team. And I get that we beat an equally not as great team. But, as a season ticket holder for the last three years, I really, really needed to see it. 


We won't be at the next two games- we sold our tickets to the Cowboys and Giants for nearly 4 times what we paid for them, and I don't expect we win either. But on the off chance that we do, I'm glad it won't be a game that breaks the home loss streak that I miss. I would have felt bad about it. The money from the tickets would be enough to console me, however. 

Like I mentioned, James is back home in Michigan. The last few days he was here, Asa had to work, but it was all from home, so that was nice. We spent our evening playing games (six person Spy Ally is my favorite!)....

..but the boys really liked Adventure Time Munchkin. We never did get around to Panic on Wall Street though. 


James reads my blogs *hi James!*, and when he saw us playing Deal or No Deal a few weeks ago, he wanted in on the action, so I told him I would make him a board too. 


He picked case #18. 


But he wiped out the 100 early, and his offers stayed pretty low. 


We decided whatever "points" he won, we'd split between the boys, so they were invested and cheered/jeered James on. 


It came down to either 90 points, or 1 point in his case. He took the deal for 45 points. 


Since he only had one point in his case, he made a good deal. (Although he says he would have switched cases in the end).


Justin was also over for tacos on Saturday, as a thanks for watching the pets for us.  


Plus, it was Super Saturday. (We have that once a month where the boys get to do review activities instead of normal school work). Our form of review? Jeopardy! (That's Deleno wandering around by Justin's feet, he wanted in on the Jeopardy action).


We let James have a category in which he asked questions about fun tid-bits and things he had shared with the boys while he was here. 



I think we had some good category names this time around. 



The boys were not a fan of the return category of "Name that date" for final Jeopardy, but they all did pretty well, raking themselves in some more points. Of course they can (and probably will) use them for getting out of chores, or having extra snacks before we leave, they'll also be able to cash them in for vacation spending money, so they're saving up. 


Also, FYI, this is the kind of house I live in. 



We did have time to squeeze in another lessons by dad, this time we learned about Alexander the Great. 


And for our activity we made a sarissa! 



In other odds and ends, I took Hayden to his October Build N Grow at Lowes... 



And Hayden finally held his much anticipated Hayden Fair. There were two categories... Collections... 


....and Art Work... 


We all entered a few things, and then Hayden judged. 


I got 2nd on my example art work I made for Calvin Coolidge's birthday, while Peyton got first on his cherry tree we made for Taft's birthday. 

Asa got a third AND an honorable mention for his windsock he made during our China lesson last week. I don't think he was happy about his placing. 


My magnet collection somehow got second place, AND Best of Show. (However that works out, but Hayden did make a cool Best of Show ribbon, so I'll take it!) 


Asa got first place for his Disney Infinity Collection, which isn't a collection if you ask me. I've been collecting magnets for years. I should have won! 


Oh, also, our neighbor, Lonnie apparently power washed Asa's name into our front sidewalk. How long until the HOH sends us a letter about that one? 


That's it, wanted to squeeze in this blog before a birthday tomorrow 

Next Up: Eisenhower's birthday is actually Wednesday, but the boys have an Aquarium class, so we're celebrating early!


No comments:

Post a Comment