Sunday, November 1, 2015

This is Halloween

We have not one but TWO president's birthdays tomorrow (we're only celebrating one though, two is just too many for one day), so I wanted to get in a quick Halloween blog. You know, my OCD, and having everything in order. 

For lunch on Halloween we had monster pancakes. 


I put out various toppings and let the boys go to town. (And then my camera died, but they came up with some pretty good ones!) 


 We also had a couple of Halloween activites. In the first, the boys had a STEM challenge- five minutes of using candy corn marshmallows, an toothpicks to see who could build the tallest tower. 

They got to work... 




...and Peyton won. 


Then we played draw the face on the pumpkin. Everyone was blindfolded and spun... 



..then they tried to draw the face with the dry erase marker. 


I actually taped the pumpkin on the outside of the door, so they couldn't feel where it was. 


Hayden was up next..



And Calib (who hates when you touch his shoulders), super freaked out about being spun. 


But he did a pretty good job. We declared him the winner since it was the most centered. 


We did our favorite donut eating activity too. 


Using no hands, the object is to eat the whole thing. 







This is Calib complaining that Peyton bumped him and knocked it off. 


But Asa was the winner. For the first time ever, someone actually ate the whole thing! 


Our lovely neighbors behind us (they have that fence you always see in the background of our pictures), brought the boys over some candy. (As if they needed more after the Not So Scary Halloween Party! But it was super nice of them).  


Hayden decided he wanted to be anger from Inside Out for Halloween, so I did my best to make him the costume. We used a white shirt that we still had around from our wedding (our William McKinley was wearing it), and cut off the sleeves. I also used felt and posterboard to make his head, and I made the tie out of felt and duct tape. I didn't have to buy anything for it, which was great. Then, Hayden had the idea to paint a trick or treat pumpkin red so it would be like a memory orb! 



I took him with me to Publix for their trick or treating. 


Because, as you see,  I'm down to only one kid who still trick-or-treats. Peyton and Calib stayed behind to hand out candy. I don't mind so much, another milestone you know? The boys growing up doesn't bother me so much, they're turning into some cool people, and that's as awesome as having little kids is. It's all good people. My advice: don't wish away certain ages, or dwell on others. They're all fun! 


Speaking of fun, my neighbors have it down. They were certainly into the holiday spirit. 


After Asa clocked out (yay work from home!), we took Hayden out trick or treating.. 


...to some seriously festive houses! 






We headed back when Hayden's bucket was half full, and hung out while we passed out the rest of our candy. 



Today we had Justin over for our taco bar, to thank him for watching our puppies while we were gone. 


...and Madison came over to hang out. She even brought us brownies! 


I did get the October presidents down, and the November ones up. Somehow I fit them all in Peyton and Hayden's room. They've got everyone from February on! 


I wasn't sure what I was going to do for my theme this month, but when I realized three of the president's born in November died in office, it was pretty obvious what to do. Not only did three die in office, another one has the distinction of having the shortest post-presidency (he died just three months after leaving office), and the last one was in a train derailment that killed his son when he was president-elect. 


I leave you with a cute picture of Peyton and Buchanan (and Maybel looking ready to pounce). 


Up Next: I will see you tomorrow for our first November birthday: James Knox Polk




No comments:

Post a Comment