Thursday, April 7, 2016

Day 6: One More Day in D.C.

Tuesday was our last day in D.C., but our flight wasn't until the evening. We took advantage of the free hotel breakfast, and then just kind of hung out. 


Peyton wasn't feeling great, so we got a late checkout, and hung out in our room all morning. Around noon we checked out, but they held our bags for us so we could go out and enjoy a little more of D.C. 


Our second hotel was just a few blocks from Capitol Hill, so we decided we'd stay in that general area and see some of the things we had missed. Unfortunately, the day before some crazy guy with a gun was at the Capitol, so security was even tighter than it had been a few days earlier when we were there. 


We made our way over to the Supreme Court. Had Peyton been feeling better that morning, we were going to try and make it in to see the court in session, but we settled for going to the Visitors Center. The doors to enter are a little hidden, but if you go to the right of the main steps, you'll find the doors for visitors. 


They have quite the cool little museum, and a video to watch. 


There's quite a few nods to our only president turned Supreme Court Justice, William Taft. 


Henry Clay even gets a mention in the Supreme Court building. He's everywhere in Washington! 


And there's some plaques and such from the old capitol building. 


There's also lots of nods to Ancient Greece and Rome, which was fun, since we have now done both a Greek and Roman Week. 


Originally, we didn't think we'd get to see the courtroom, because it was in session that morning, and we were settling for the visitors center and the model of the courtroom. But, the hearings were done and theyopened it up a few minutes after we arrived. 


On either side of the visitors center, you'll find a staircase to take you up to the main hallway. 


The hallway itself is impressive. 


But at the end of it, you can peek into the Supreme Court! 


The building, like most of the buildings in D.C. is ridiculously ornate, right down to the elevator doors and stairways. 


Back downstairs there's a statue of John Marshall, the guy some say responsible for making the legislative branch what it is. He was nominated by John Adams. 


Sandra Day O'Conner, the first woman appointed to the Supreme Court also has a couple of cases dedicated to her time on the court. 


And Peyton found his birthday twin, Thurgood Marshall, the first African American Supreme Court Justice. 


I picked up a magnet in the gift shop, but I thought this sign was funny. 


Across the street from the Supreme Court is the Library of Congress. 


It's an equally impressive building. 



My kids are well aware the Thomas Jefferson's books are the basis for the library of Congress, so they were pretty excited to go to the room that holds all of his books! 


The books all sit in glass cases and have various ribbons in them to denote where they came from. The ones with the green ribbons were Jefferson's. 



Other books they just got to replace one's in Jefferson's library, and the cases are books they're still looking for. 



We made our way to the reading room, although last time I was there, you could walk all the way around- and now you can just go on one balcony and you have to stay behind the glass. 


Across the hall from Jefferson's library you'll find all kinds of artifacts.


And the very first map that mentions 'America'. 


We also found the first mentions of Florida! 


Back downstairs is the Gutenberg Bible! 


Instead of going back outside (it was pretty cold and windy!), we took the tunnel to the Capitol Visitors Center for a quick lunch. 


Complete with a Cherry Blossom inspired cupcake! 


Peyton still was not feeling well, if only we knew what was coming for us. (Half of us are STILL sick!) 


After a break, we walked down the hill to the Botanical Gardens. 


I think this place gets kind of forgotten, it's never very crowded, not like the other museums anyway, and it's gorgeous. A little later in the Spring they have more hands on activities and a children's garden, but it's still fun to run around in now, and you don't have to wait in any pesky security lines. I guess nobody's too worried about anything happening to our nation's greatest plants. 



We decided it was probably time to head back to the hotel to collect our stuff, so we did that and then picked up sandwiches to take to the airport with us (airport food is not ideal). Then we hopped on the metro and took the trip back to Reagan National. 


We killed time until our flight by making up silly games. We had brochures from various places, so Hayden was quizzing everyone on their knowledge. 


Although his questions took a turn when he started asking what color tie the justices were wearing in their pictures. 

Peyton meanwhile, continued in his misery. I thought he was maybe over reacting a bit, but as it turns out, we've all had fevers/coughs/complete misery for over a week now, I think I owe him an apology. 


Around 6:30 we boarded our flight and headed home. 


However, I was only home for 12 hours before I was back on a plane to Ohio. I didn't even look at the weather, I just washed my DC clothes and packed them back up. Apparently I should have brought my coat. Saturday night (in April mind you!) it was snowing. Gross. 

 

Anyway, I was there to help out grandma while mom attended her meetings online. We worked on some projects, she told me stories. It was a good time. (Although I do wish I felt better, and I hope I didn't spread any sickness.) I did squeeze in time to get my hair cut too, so that was a perk. 


I was there Wednesday to Tuesday, so I've been home a couple days now. 


Asa had unpacked quite a bit, but I got out all my DC magnets for the fridge when I got home. I think I got some cool new ones! 


We're all still coughing, and hardly eating, but Calib got dressed today, so we are making progress. Asa just started his work week, but it's work from home week, and I'm crossing my fingers come Monday (our weekend), we are all better and able to do amusement park mania weekend! 

Next Up: Getting back into the swing of things! I love April/May... low crowds and great weather! 

No comments:

Post a Comment