Saturday, December 31, 2016

Merry Christmas 2016!

I started this blog on Christmas, but I just added the pictures and then left it with the intention of getting to it before now. But, if there's any day of the year that gets me to wrap up hanging 'projects', and get ready for new ones, it's New Years Eve! I'll try and be back later with our usual 'Waterstraut year in Review', but the boys still haven't written their parts yet. So, we'll see. Until then, I still have all things Christmas to report. 

Oh, and some house things. I knew we need a chalkboard for homeschool, and Asa and I aren't super handy, but we did make this! 


I know you saw it mostly completed in the last blog, but the frame wasn't done, and the corkboard wasn't up yet. We finished that all up and then we 'seasoned' the board, so we wouldn't forever see the first thing we put on it. So now, it's ready to go. 


Also, with mom visiting we needed a lamp, since we stole the one she used for reading to put in Peyton and Hayden's room. It doubles as storage for all of our putt putt balls! 


Calib came back from Ohio, and had his dental checkup to see how his wisdom teeth were healing, and how his 'transplant' was taking. (Don't ask Calib about his work, he'll just tell you he is a transplant survivor AND donor.) Anyway, the doctor said we were 'cleared for nachos' (Calib's favorite). 


Oh, and usually we have a whole December punch board full of activities, but with moving, the wisdom teeth, and Calib in Ohio, I wasn't going to do one at all. But the boys said there were some things we HAD to do. They made their requests, and I made a mini punch board. 


One night we made our peanut butter reindeer cookies. 



One night we had our family sleepover by the Christmas tree. 


And fun fact, we had TONS of room for all of our mattresses. That front room is HUGE. 


We also played the 'Guess the Present' game, where I wrap random household items and they have to guess what they are. 


And at the end of that, there's always a gift for each of the boys. 


One night we had a Christmas Open Bar. 


I had gotten all kinds of different hot chocolates for open bar night. 


And some other goodies so the boys could 'order' whatever they wanted from the 'bar'. 


They had floats, and prohibition cocktails, and hot chocolates. 


Plus, having an actual bar made it extra fun. 


Hayden even left me a tip. 


And one night we did our usual 'indoor snowball fight'. 


With all the craziness going on, we couldn't forget Ellie's adoption anniversary. We've officially had her over a year now. We love her squishy face so much, I can't imagine life without her. 



While we made her a doggie cupcake for her anniversary, I also made one for Porkchop. It was a little late (his birthday was the 4th), but better late than never! 


Ellie happily ate her anniversary cupcake. 


And the little dogs split one. 


Ellie also got a present, she's running low on toys, because she's so rough on them, so she seemed happy to have a new one. 


Christmas Eve morning we had our usual Santa pancakes. 



And for Christmas Eve dinner we had a spread of snacks. Mostly thanks to  Publix, they have some great platters.  



Our last punch on the Christmas board was some Christmas Minute to Win it games. Calib threw the most marshmallows through the wreath in a minute (13, I think). 


Peyton hooked the first candycane chain. 




And Calib stacked the cups in Christmas tree form, and then all stacked them (using only one hand), and unstacked them in the shortest amount of time. 

And then finally we played in teams of two to see who could make a snowman the fastest by wrapping their partner in a roll of toilet paper, and then dressing them in a scarf and hat. (This one is always my favorite, it's so funny to watch). 


Asa and Peyton were the winners. 


I bought the cheap toilet paper from the dollar store for this one, which came a part pretty easily. It made for a fun 'snow' fight after the fact. 


Christmas Eve night the boys always get the same present, new pajamas. I don't know when that tradition started, but I'm pretty sure we've been doing it most of their lives. 



Asa and I also exchanged one gift. He got his favorite coffee. 


And I got the coolest present ever! 


Peyton saw these pajamas when we were in Denver, and he really wanted them. I didn't buy them then, but he just kept talking about them. Finally, a few days before Christmas, I broke down and bought them, because he just kept talking about them. 


Hayden got Pokemon pajamas, and Calib got taco pants! 


The one Waterstraut tradition we keep, is to have Christmas Eve hot chocolate out of santa mugs. 


And then Asa and I filled the stockings, and put all the presents under the tree. The boys have helped the last few years, but this year we had a few pretty obvious ones (like Calib's giant bean bag chair he asked for), so I didn't want to spoil the surprise. 


We got up a little after 10 on Christmas morning for present unwrapping. 


The boys did stockings first. 


And then divided up the presents. 



Hayden got his 2ds he had been hoping for, and Calib got a new Bucs jersey. 


Hayden meanwhile, made Asa and I a deck of Pokemon cards. 


And Peyton had a very Broncos Christmas. He knew about some of it, since he picked it out when we were in Denver, but I also snuck a few gift shop trips he didn't know about to pick up some more gifts. 


Ellie got a few more toys, which she quickly took to. 


And, I got the Harry Truman resolute desk sign that I'd had my eye on. (Asa sure knows how to shop for president's stuff, he did really good!) 


Meanwhile, Asa got some new cooking gear, and Rock Band 4 for the Xbox One. 


Dipper and Maybel were pretty happy with their new toy that fills with treats, too. 


After present opening, we did our usual grilled poundcake for Christmas breakfast. 


And then we hung out and played with our new stuff. 


Our game hull isn't as big as normal this year, but since they had all been packed away for so long, we haven't been playing as much. Peyton actually really, really wanted the 'Let's Go Fishing' game. I was like 'really? you know that's a preschool game, right.' and he was like 'but it's the best thing ever.' I obliged, and they have been playing it. So, it was 6 bucks well spent. 


 For Christmas dinner, we had our usual seafood feast. This year's new edition included sushi, which the boys (but especially Peyton) love. They'll be happy to see it appear in many countries for our next year project (I will get to that tomorrow). 


Christmas night Calib and I made a trip to the airport to pick up my mom for her yearly Christmas visit. She came complete with my cookie box. I requested certain cookies be left out of my box, so my family up north had some fun with that. 


I explicitly stated no drop hermits, and when I opened the box there was one in all of it's powered sugar grossness. Apparently, Aunt Patti was the culprit.  



Later, Peyton ate it. He claims they're not bad. I claim he's wrong. 


 I also said only one date ball in my box. I had made them and sent them to Ohio for distribution. Nobody here but Calib likes them, and at the time, he couldn't have them (nothing chewy that would interfere with his transplanted tooth). He was cleared later, so I said they could put ONE in my cookie box. Mom put one in there, but then brought others in a ziplock bag (because they weren't in my box then, they were in the bag). She got me on a technicality. 

Mom also came bearing gifts, we each got a coloring book for the 'Night Before Christmas' that my grandma had colored for us, and a few other things. My mom's cousin-in-law, Debbie also sent along a gift for me. I was very happy to discover she had sent me some more campaign buttons. It was so nice and thoughtful of her to pass them on to me. They will have a good home here. I even got another shadow box so I'd have enough room for them and anymore to come. Thanks again, Rick & Debbie. I love them! 


A shout out also to Melissa Koebel, a friend from high school, who went out of her way to drop off an extra Harry Potter puzzle she had to my mom, who brought it down to us! We can't wait to put it together and frame it for the Harry Potter room! 


My moms first day here we headed out to Disney Springs, and ended up with a not-really-flat, but more unraveling tire. I knew we needed new ones in the front, but my mom treated us to four new tires and an alignment. I claimed the alignment as my present, and Asa and the boys each picked a tire to be theirs. 


All in all, it only took 5 and a half hours, but we did make it to Disney Springs! 


We did a little shopping at the World of Coke. 


And enjoyed some drinks at the rooftop bar. 


Then we wandered around for some more shopping. 


And more drinks (for Asa anyway), and  snacks. It was mom's first Poutine! 


We brought home some desserts from the patisserie, too. 



We talked mom into some footie pajamas at the World of Coke, so her and Peyton were footie pajama buddies. 


Tuesday, on mom's second day of visiting, we went out to lunch with her friend Jane, and Jane's husband Andy. (You might remember Jane is the one we helped out in Denver.) We also played some games, and went out to see Rouge One. (We all really liked it!) That night the boys even talked grandma into playing rock band. 


Wednesday we went down to Venice, where my grandma and grandpa used to live. I've spent a lot of New Year's Eve's in Venice, but Asa had to work today (and mom had to leave this morning), so we went a few days early this year. 


We walked around downtown and went to the staples: Sea Pleasures and Treasures, and the Ice Cream Shop next door. 


Then we went out to Sharky's for a day at the beach. 


The water was cold, and there was a red tide, so we mostly just played in the sand. Calib and Hayden dug a hole, while Asa and Peyton made a barrier wall, I made a seaside castle on the edge of the giant hole, and mom made a subdivison next door to my castle, severely bringing down my property value. 


 Calib was pretty deep into the hole when a crab down there scared the crap right out of him. Peyton was happy to rescue the crab, and dig it a new hole so it could still bury itself and not get eaten by the birds. 


And then Calib refused to keep his feet in the hole for fear of finding another crab. 


 For dinner we headed up to Sharky's on the Pier. We had an hour wait, but we spent most of that on the beach, so it wasn't too bad. 


And then mom treated us to a lovely seafood dinner out on the deck. 


After dinner we decided to head down the pier. 


The sun was just about to set, so we had pretty good timing. 


We made our way back to our stuff still on the beach and found our complex pretty much untouched, thanks to Asa's barrier wall, which was mostly gone thanks to the tide. 


All in all, a lovely day in Venice. 


When we got home, Asa made us all some drinks. 


And we played some games. 


Thursday Asa had to work, though from home, so we got up early and went out to Top Golf. Mom had never been, so we wanted to take her. Calib and Hayden got up early for the event, but Peyton stayed home, refusing to get out of bed when given one last chance. Anyway, mom had a good time, and learned how to fill the injectable donut holes. So it was a success. She also came in second, so not too shabby. 



 Calib and Peyton had gotten quite a bit of Christmas money. Calib is still holding on to most of his, although he did buy some new shoes. Peyton bought a gaming mouse. It was super expensive, but I always tell him he can spend his money on whatever he likes. I would never spend that much on a mouse, but he loves his gaming, so it makes sense for him. 


Yesterday was much cooler weather. Us Floridians were pretty cold, but the Ohioian didn't seem to mind. 


Before Asa had to clock in we took a trip down to the Lodge to show mom around. 



We also played some ping pong. 


Hayden played on the playground. 



And Asa, Peyton, mom and I played some tennis. 


 It might have been a bit chilly, but it made for a nice time down at the Lodge and a nice short walk there and back. 

 Last night we played some games, and watched Florida State beat Michigan in the Orange Bowl. Mom had to leave for the airport at 5 this morning (big shout out thanks to Asa who took her to the airport). I didn't feel too bad saying goodbye though, we'll see her in just under three weeks when we are off to our next adventure. 


I leave you with a cute picture of Ellie and Calib. 


I'll try and get back later with our Waterstraut year in review, but it's been a busy day for me. I'm trying to get things in gear for our project, and put the house back together after a visitor, and Asa is working, so we'll see how it all shakes out. 

Up Next: Waterstraut Year in Review 




No comments:

Post a Comment