Monday, October 16, 2017

Uzbekistan

We had planned to go to Disney last Tuesday, but it didn't quite work out that way. Sadly, my grandma passed away on Monday and with that and some other issues, nobody felt like heading out. We're hoping to go tomorrow. Peyton and I are headed out on Saturday, with everyone else a few days behind us to go to Ohio for the funeral. But, if there's one thing I know my grandma would want me to keep on with, it's the country project- or really any project I have going on. She LOVED our school work, and was always interested in what we were doing. Since we're already slightly behind, and since I know we're going to be gone for a week again, I really need to keep plugging away with them, so onward we go. 

But, I wasn't prepared for a country on Tuesday. So I tried to find something where I already had the stuff for the meal so I wouldn't need to head to the store. After a little searching during my quiet coffee morning time, I found something for Uzbekistan that would work. 

Also worth noting: I found a recipe for an Uzbek cookie called Khvorost. I printed out the recipe for the cookie, but realized they're essentially the Angel Wings we make at Christmas time, and have always made at Christmas time. (And grandma was the one who kept the Christmas cookie box tradition going). We didn't end up making them, because we don't have a pasta roller, and I didn't want to hand roll them, but I just thought it was a little interesting that I happened to find *that* particular cookie recipe on *that* particular day. 


I'm trying to work my way through the 'stan' countries of Asia, without having the boys get confused- which means I need to space them out. Thus far, we've done Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Kazakhstan.

Most of the 'stan' countries were part of the former USSR, and didn't become countries themselves until 1991. Those include Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan. (Can you see now why I have to do those not together so the boys don't get confused/)  The 'stan' on the end comes from an ancient Persian or Farsi word meaning 'land of' or 'country' or 'nation'. Uzbek comes from a combo of two words, so what I'm getting at here is that Uzebkistan loosely translates to 'Land of the Genuine Man'. 

The people are a mixture of nomadic Turkish people, and ancient Iranian people. Uzbekistan, perhaps, was much more well known in the 14th century than it is today. Of course, it wasn't Uzbekistan back then, but it was an important stop along the Silk Road (Shout out to our 'Lessons By Dad series)

Our landmark was Registan Square in Samarkand. As far as the Silk Road goes, this place was up there with Shangri-la and Timbuktu. Due in part because of it's position along the Silk Road, between China and Rome, Samarkand was one of the greatest cities in  Central Asia. It was so famous in fact, Marco Polo and Alexander the Great even visited. (We'll talk more about Marco Polo during explorers week)

The Registan is a large public square fanned by three Madrasas (Islamic Schools). This square was the heart of the ancient city. People gathered here to see everything from bazaars to executions. 


Uzbekistan is wealthy in natural resources, but most of the money is distributed to the president's elite circle and political allies. The capital city of Tashkent is booming with construction and development, but the rest of the country struggles under their authoritarian rule. 

It's isolation from the rest of the world does nothing for the people of Uzbekistan. Consistently under a heavy police presence, Uzbekistan is one of the poorest and least developed countries in Asia. 

But, even in some poor and isolated countries, there's always fun facts to be found. 

In Uzbekistan, only two men can shake hands

They take their train stations seriously. Tashkent has some of prettiest, most elaborate metro stations in the world. Each have their own unique theme and design (and you wouldn't know how poor the country is by looking at their chandeliers and marble pillars.) 

Uzbekistan is home to the largest open pit gold mine. 

It's one of just two countries to be doubly landlocked, meaning you'd have to go through two countries to make it to the open water of an ocean. (Lichtenstein is the other). 


The boys made their postcards. 


Calib's featured the blue tiled mosques that stick out from the sea of sand in Uzbekistan (96% of the country is Muslim). 


Peyton has an Uzbek digging for gold. 


And Hayden drew 'Clearly Alexander the Great'. 


Now, if you haven't already have Plov, Uzbekistan would be a good country to give that a go. It's one of their signature dishes. But, we already made Plov for Azerbaijan day. 

The recipe I did come up with was Lagman (Uzbek Beef Noodle Soup with Vegetables). I served it with bread, grapes, and some of the hummus we still had lying around. 


This dinner earned four spoons up. 

I was actually the hold out. I didn't mind it, but I didn't think it was amazing. I wouldn't ask for it again or anything. I get kind of bored with just one bowl of the same item. The flavors were good, and really it would stand on it's own without the meat if you're so inclined. 

Calib actually said this was one of his favorites. We saved the leftovers (it made A LOT), and he ate it for a late night snack a couple of times until it was gone. 

Peyton colored in Uzbekistan. 


That's 133 down, 63 to go! 

Up Next: Mauritania 

No comments:

Post a Comment