Thursday, August 16, 2018

Birthday Weekend Extravaganza!

It's been almost a week since my birthday, and since I'm leaving tomorrow I figured I might as well get around to my birthday blog tonight. 


My mom has visited for all the birthdays this year (except for Asa's but that was at the height of cleaning out my grandmas house- and we had JUST been in Ohio), so she was here for my birthday for a real quick visit. She wanted to take me out to dinner for my birthday- but Asa and I tried to go out the previous Friday night at the new Cypress Creek area and it was HORRIBLE. Like, there was at least an hour wait for any sit down place, there was no parking anywhere, and cell phones weren't even working because the towers were overloaded. I'm still adjusting to having to do things on the weekend instead of weekdays, so I suggested maybe we go after work one night instead, so Wednesday night we went out to Ford's Garage (Hayden was there too, he just took the picture!) 


I mean I sort of debated where to go... but if we're staying close to home, it was a pretty easy choice. Plus, we still owed Hayden a trip for winning March Madness. 


And you can't go wrong with an estate burger and sweet potato tots. Of course, since it was my birthday, I got a shake too! 



Thursday night we couldn't go out- because Asa and Calib didn't want to miss the Bucs preseason football. Look, I know that isn't real football, and I couldn't care less about preseason, and neither could Peyton and Hayden. BUT, with football comes the taco bar- and I had other stuff to do, so it wasn't such a bad idea to make some tacos and not have to cook the rest of the day, so that's what we did. 


Then Friday was my birthday! I really debated what to do. I thought about hitting the beach, but the weather was iffy, and so was the red tide situation. It hasn't really gotten this far yet, but it seems to be creeping north- so planning a beach day didn't seem to be in the cards. I did have a free ticket for someone for Busch Gardens, so we could have done that. But, since Asa works during the week, and we have weekday only passes to Disney, it seemed like if he was going to take a day off work, we should go to Disney. But, it's August and it's HOT- and I wanted to do Epcot (not Peyton or Hayden's favorite park) and the new Toy Story Land in Hollywood Studios (which I KNEW would be super crowded). Basically, Hayden and Peyton would have gone, because it was my birthday- but I told them they didn't have to if they didn't want to. I mean, I didn't want anyone dragging me down, and it was less money to spend on food, AND I could stay for as long as I wanted because someone would be home with the dogs. 

So, Asa, Mom, Calib and me headed out to enjoy the day at Disney! 


Of course I got my free birthday button! 


And we got there just as our first Fastpass was expiring, so we did Spaceship earth, hit Club Cool for the free Coke, did our second Fastpass at Nemo, and then it was time for our third Fastpass. 


Really we couldn't have hit the timing better, we just went from one to another without having to wait anywhere, and since it was my birthday I got to pick the Fastpasses- so I went with Soarin. 


After that it was time for some food, so we got the Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup Poutine at the Refreshment Port, and some Fish & Chips in the United Kingdom. We basically rode some rides and did a food tour for my birthday, and it was awesome. 


After that we went out the back entrance of Epcot and took the boat over to Hollywood Studios. It's a little known way to get from park to park, and I love it. Plus, again, we timed it just right and the boat was waiting for us (on our way back too!) 


We haven't been to Hollywood Studios in a long time, because with all the construction it feels like half a park- but I really wanted to check out the new Toy Story Land. It opened during our summer black out dates, and my birthday just so happened to be the first day we were un-blacked out. 




It is the cutest little area, but man was it CROWDED. We didn't do either of the new rides- mostly because they both go down in weather, and the skies were pretty ominious. Luckily we timed that well too, everytime we went inside it seemed to downpour- and then it was fine when we were back outside. But, I didn't want to wait an hour for a ride just to have it get shut down. I'll try and grab Fastpasses for the new rides when we stay at Disney in November, since my window will be 60 days instead of 30. 


But after we used our third Fastpass at Soarin, we were able to get some for Toy Story Mania! Thanks to my niece Gwen for showing me the trick to get good Fastpasses same day! 


Toy Story Mania isn't new, but the cue line is- since they flipped the entrance and exit to the other side of the building to make room for Star Wars land. 


There is a brand new quick serve spot for food too. It's super cute, it's called Woody's Lunchbox and it's like a giant Lunchbox propped open by the matching thermos. It's SUPER cute! 


We just got lots of stuff to split. We had the Brisket Grilled Cheese, and the Totchos (a  tater tot version of nachos!) Both were good, and big enough to share. 


But the grown up lemonade and the lunch box tarts are really where it's at. The little lunch box tarts are AWESOME. If you get nothing else, get these. It's like less than $4 and it's like a homemade pop tart- but way better. The crust is even good! It's flaky and flavorful. 


There isn't a store in Toy Story Land, which I thought was a total missed opportunity (and no Toy Story Land Magnets- can you believe it?!?) But there are some carts with some fun little trinkets. 


Anyway, total worth the visit. I'm so glad I got to go- and on my birthday! 


On the way back we swung by Beaches and Cream at the Beach Club for my favorite ice cream on Disney property- the No Way Jose. 


Back in Epcot, we continued back on our trip around the world. 

This time mom treated us to some French desserts. 


I was pretty full at this point (and mostly on sweets, I know- but it was my birthday, after all!) but we were only half way around the world. 


And these boys sure can put it away, so we did stop in German for some bratwurst, 


and in China for some egg rolls and Asa's new favorite Disney cocktail: Tipsy Ducks in Love. It's got coffee and dark chocolate and stuff in it. 


We did stop back for another round at Club Cool on our way back around. 


And then we stopped at Mouse Gears to spend some of my birthday money. I finally got one of the pillows I had been looking for. It looks so cute on my chair in my room, and it fits perfectly! 


And of course no trip to Epcot is complete without stopping by the walls to see the picture of my dad and Calib (from 2000) 


When we got home, I had more presents. Asa gave them to me in the boxes they were delivered in, but he did have them 'gift wrapped'. 

I got the fun Marlon Bundo Book!

And my toilet paper sheep! I complain about how there's no storage in the toilet room for extra rolls, and sometimes certain people use the last of it, and don't get a new roll (ahem, Asa). 


But look how cute he is in my bathroom now! We'll never run out. 


And, the boys surprised me with a gift too! First of all, what an awesome book for my 'Hall of Presidents', but also Calib took it upon himself to organize everyone chipping in for it, and then ordered it on his own debit card (a first!) He only told Asa after the fact to make sure Asa didn't get it for me as well. Anyway, I thought it was very sweet of them- and especially Calib, because I've never met anyone more stingy with their money. 


Oh, and I did get everyone to play six person Spy Alley, which is like my favorite game with six players. 

And then we had cake, complete with 37 candles. Overall, a total successful birthday. 


However, we don't just do birthdays around here- we do Birthday Weekend Extravaganzas! Unfortunately, mom had to head back the day after my birthday to get home to Ohio for the family reunion, but we did have a little time on Saturday before she flew out. 

First of all, our library had the summer 'rock the ceiling' event, where they were inviting people to come in and paint their favorite books on the tiles and at the end of the summer, they'd have them all hanging in the library. Hayden and I had gone out earlier in the week to paint our tiles. 


And then on Saturday we stopped by to see them on the ceiling! 


And then we were off to see Christopher Robin at Citrus Park (Peyton also sat out this trip- but again, that meant Etta didn't have to spend the day in her crate). 


It also so happened that Pin Chasers was giving away free games of bowling on Saturday as well, and since it's right next to the airport it was an easy, fun, and free stop! 



On the way home we stopped at my favorite plant store, Duncheons and Asa got me a string of pearls!! It's a great addition to succulent family. 


And then we had Chinese take-out for dinner! 


Sunday again we toyed with various plans- the Buddhist Temple, Adventure Island, Busch Gardens, the Beach- but I am getting old, and I was tired, and I was like 'You know, maybe I'd just like to hang out around here.' So, Asa and I decided to get on our bikes and go on an adventure. (It ended up being like a 8 mile ride- so we were lucky that it was pretty cloudy out or we would have died in the Florida heat). 


We rode out to the main road and up to McDonalds for some iced coffee and dollar sandwiches. 


Then we went back into Connerton, the subdivison next to ours, they have some better biking- but way less trees, since they are still building lots of sections. 


And then we swing by the playground where they have a Pokemon gym. You can get back into our subdivison around here if you don't mind getting off your bike and walking down a bit of a grassy hill. So basically, we did a really big circle. 


I was hoping to stop at our park to play tether-ball, but as it turned out someone had stolen the ball again. Asa had filled up the backyard inflatable pool for when we got home, so we made some drinks and jumped in. 


After a couple hours in the pool, with our drinks, and some music from the google home, we decided some donuts would be fun, so we took the bikes back out. We got a dozen, each ate ours there and then brought the rest home for the boys and the next morning. 


And then it was really hot, so we hit the big pool down at the lodge. 


And then we played some cards in the blanket fort, and tucked ourselves in to watch some Orange is the New Black. Overall, a very successful and fun Birthday Weekend Extravaganza! 


We had to get back into the swing of things on Monday, but to make it a little better we did go to Moe's for dinner. I still had my free birthday burrito and Asa had $10 off- plus it was Moe's Monday. 


And we did have overcooked to play- Asa got me that for my birthday too! 


Kids are back in school here, which is nice- we can go to the pool on Asa's lunch now, and have it pretty much all to ourselves. 


We're working on a few things here- but nothing too exciting. We're in Ohio next week, so we're not ready to get too involved in school work. Calib did get three classes at the college this time around, but they are all online- and he doesn't start until Monday. He's working on his SAT prep though, because he has that a week from Saturday. Peyton meanwhile is looking into possibly teaching English overseas as something he might like to do. And Asa is plugging away at those last couple grad school classes. 


We did also finally take down the blanket fort. The bones of it were getting a bit bent- and it needed to come down before we left anyway. It was still kind of sad, though. 


Hayden and I have mostly been busy on craft projects for the fair. He did a fun cubism painting on an egg carton. 



He also had a sewing class at the library (did I show you that last time? He made a cute little change purse), and then we worked on a quilt for the fair. He did a really good job sewing it. I was impressed! It's made out of clothes that belonged to my grandma. She even made the santa sweatshirt in the middle. It's just a small little lap quilt, but not too shabby for his first go around. Gigi would be proud. 


He also made a couple of wreaths, one out of toilet paper rolls, 


And then he added some coffee filter flowers. 


Then we used the coffee filters and a foam wreath from the dollar store to make another pretty wreath. 


That's it from here. I leave you with some fun Waterstraut dog pictures (Ellie got a new toy and was really excited about it!) 


Up Next: We are packed with all of our fair projects and ready to go. Peyton, Hayden and I are headed out tomorrow, for the fair next week and Cedar Point this weekend, it should be a good time! 

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to having you at the house for fun!!!
    No work for us!

    ReplyDelete