Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Adventure is Out There Part Three

You guys! You know how much I love Disney. It's pretty much my favorite thing to do on the weekends. And weekdays if we ever get back to that. But, as much as I love Disney in general, I LOVE the Not So Scary Halloween Party even more. We've been twice before, and only when my mom is generous enough to take us. But, I would do it every year if I could. When we went to our first party way back in 2014 , I made the boys Wilderness Explorer costumes. I painstakingly made every single badge and hot glued them onto their sashes. You complete the look with a couple of hats and if you're so inclined a bandana tied around your neck (those, I couldn't locate this go around).  My mom and I, meanwhile, were Kevins! We made feather-y tutus and completed the look with feather necklaces and a peacock headband. It's an easy costume that works even in the Florida heat. So when we were going again this time I dug out our costumes for our third go around. 


Of course, the boys had grown since the last time they wore their costumes, so I worked a little magic and extended their sashes. But that also means they needed a few more patches. Peyton got one for participating in CEO, and a pizza slice, you know, for work. 


Calib too got a pizza slice added to his- but he's also gotten his license since we last had our badges so I made him a car one. (I even made the car orange like the Fit!) 


Hayden needed four more badges because his was SO small. I made a generic paw print one like Russell has, and then I moved his 'grape soda' (ahem, Cheerwine) one up. Then I made him a teacup for his participation in The Finer Things Club, a lightning bolt for reading Harry Potter all the way through, and a jellyfish because we recently just pet jellyfish! 


Asa didn't need any other badges, and I just reused all my stuff and I think we look pretty cute for our third go around on these costumes. Asa and I have a soft spot for Up, since we played the theme -titled 'Married Life'- at our wedding. Plus who doesn't love saying 'Adventure is Out There!' 


We arrived around 4 pm for the party and took the boat over to the Magic Kingdom. Your ticket for the party gets you in at 4, even though the party doesn't actually start until 7. 


Since the party doesn't start till 7 you have three whole hours before the park gets turned over and that's a long time to wait for your first candy fix of the evening. Luckily, Disney has remedied this and gives you a little starter pack right when you get into the park, along with your trick or treat bag. And the trading had begun! 




Then we rode a few rides- the people mover, Space Mountain and of course Space Ranger Spin. Asa's gun was working this time, and he was a Galactic Hero before we were out of the third room. 


And of course there was food to be had. We enjoyed a Mickey pretzel. 


Plus some of the special Halloween treats around- including the pumpkin milkshake. I recently in the last year or so have discovered I actually LOVE pumpkin. So I was excited to try this one. It was everything you'd want a pumpkin milkshake to be, and it even came with a cute Mickey marshmallow. 


Peyton and mom, however, were not sold on it. 


We also tried out the Lotso burgers that came with strawberry bacon jam. It was SO yummy. Peyton refused to try it, but the rest of us enjoyed our part of it. Plus, it's a burger with Lotso on top! So fun!


By the time we were done with our dinner, it was party time! We caught the Dapper Dans who had become the Cadavar Dans. They even did the Haunted Mansion Song! 


And of course their was trick-or-treating to be had. You can trick or treat as much as you want. Once your bag is full you could even ask for another if you wanted. And they don't skimp- every stop gives you a whole handful. It's decent stuff too- Twix and M&Ms (even peanut butter ones!) and skittles and the likes. Most attractions are open, but some are closed because now you trick or treat through them! Country Bear Jamboree was a trick or treat spot, which Asa was not thrilled with. (He wanted to watch the Country Bears in all their inappropriate glory.) 


Peyton, with a job and all, has this whole new world open to him- where he can buy things! He heard about the Oogie Boogie Popcorn bucket when we all watched the Disney Food Blog video on the Halloween Party (so you know, we'd have some tips!) the night before, that he had to have the bucket. My mom, however, stepping in and got it for him. But he was ever so grateful. 




And you guys, it lights up! 


Some of the rides are slightly different at the party. They get 'overlays'. Pirates of the Caribbean even gets a couple real life pirates in the cue and on the ride! 


By the time we got off pirates, it was dark. And my phone doesn't take great pictures in the dark (but Asa's does ok!)


I was hoping to meet a few more characters (you guys Tigger, Pooh, Eeyore, and Piglet were all dressed in costumes!) but the lines were long on our party night. It wasn't sold out, but I think it was probably close. Plus the party kind of gets away from you. It's so awesome, but it is over in a flash. Peyton, however, asked if we could wait in the modest line to take a picture with Captain Jack, and we obliged. 


While the character lines get long, the ride lines are short. Nobody can have Fastpasses- so we could get on things in 20 minutes or less- even the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train! 


We also did the teacups- complete with a spinning cup, and a non-spinning cup. I bet you can guess which is which. 


The overlay is fun though! Lots of different lights! 


New this year, the Monster Inc. Laugh Floor had trick or treating and a show that you could stop to see, or you could continue on. It was like an open house. 


When we first walked through there weren't any monsters on the screen but we decided to sit and wait around for a few minutes and before we knew it, Mike Wazowski's nephew was out telling jokes. 


And Hayden got picked as one of the kids to talk to him! Look at him on the big screen. Sadly, Hayden didn't know any Halloween jokes, but it was still fun. Peyton has big dreams of getting to be 'that guy' someday, so I think he was a little jealous Hayden got picked instead of him. 


On your way in and OUT of the Laugh floor you get to trick or treat, but it was nearly fireworks time so we headed off to the hub. You used to really be able to watch the fireworks from anywhere, but now with the projections on the castle you really want to see it from the Main Street area. 


Given how anxious and claustrophobic I got a couple weeks ago when we tried to watch the normal fireworks from the hub, I tried really hard to find a spot that would give me a little breathing room, so we stood right behind the tape for a walkway and it worked out pretty good. We weren't super close to the castle, but it was still a decent view. 


Worth noting: the Halloween Show is new this year. It used to be HalloWishes, even after Wishes went away. And while I miss Wishes and was hoping to see the Halloween version, this new one is pretty good too. Jack Skellington is your host, and he makes a real life appearance. I could only see him in the doorway to castle if I stood on my tippy tip toes. But, as I'm the shortest one in my family, everyone else had a pretty good view. Peyton usually hates fireworks, and he really liked the show- probably because he's such a big Jack Skellington/Nightmare Before Christmas fan. 


We did a little more trick or treating after the fireworks. It felt like a lot of candy, but I don't think I knew how much until we got it all home and dumped it out on the kitchen table. Holy geez, it's A LOT of candy! 


So when we sat down for the parade and everyone started trading, I thought it was pretty useless. There was enough of everything to go around! 


We also stopped by and got our special Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom Halloween card. And then we staked out our spot for the Boo to You Halloween parade. 


You have to get to your spot early so you can see the headless horseman ride by! I think that was Zilly, the same horse that pulled my trolley down Main Street. 


There's a little time between the headless horseman and the parade, but then you'll just find the Zootopia Party Patrol. They even have candy to hand out, and they'll start a conga line to keep you entertained. 


And then it's time for the must see event of the party- the Boo to You Parade. You can only see it during the party, and the song will be stuck in your head forever (in a totally good way!) 


In the parade you'll find characters, and floats you don't see in other parades. 

I love the grave diggers with their shovels. They drag them along the street and sparks fly! 


There's even a nod to the Haunted Mansion dancing ghosts


But you'll also find some of your old favorite here. Asa spotted a country bear! 


The whole thing ends with the evil queen (Mickey isn't forgotten- he just starts the parade instead of ending it). 


And by the time the parade was over, it was midnight and the party was over. It goes by so fast. We hopped on the ferry to head back to the parking lot. 


I rather enjoyed my mom and my shadow- check out our peacock feathers! 


It took a couple days for me to convince the boys to dump all the candy out for a picture. They said they didn't want to mix it, but I told them if we dumped it out they'd have a better look at what was out there and could grab even more of what they wanted. 


So of course when the picture was over, they are started grabbing everything like mad men. 


Peyton hid a bunch of sour skittles inside his Oogey Boogey Popcorn Bucket. Calib, meanwhile, said he had to scrounge for those sour skittles. 


And it took me a couple days before I realized Asa had stashed a bunch in his desk. 


After everyone had taken what they wanted, I packaged the rest up. The boys could have it if they want, or you know, we'll have plenty to hand out for Halloween without having to buy anything! 


That's it for the Halloween Party. I love it SO. MUCH. You get to get dressed up and go trick or treating, no matter how old you are. You get to see rare characters, watch the special fireworks and the parade- and just generally feel less like an adult and more like a kid- and that's always a good thing. 

I have big dreams of someday doing the Very Merry Christmas Party, but especially for a passholder, it's a big pill to swallow to pay for a ticket to the party. Maybe someday. 

Next Up: I still have the rest of my mom's visit to blog! But I am getting caught up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment