Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Day 4- Our First Noise Complaint.

Today the land portion of our cruise tour began. Let's go through the pro's and con's of this land tour. Pro- You don't have to carry your luggage from place to place. You don't have to know how to get from place to place. You get all kinds of interesting information. Con- you're on a time schedule (with a couple of 5 year olds, and a 1 year old). Also, I fear it's going to feel like constant packing and unpacking. Overall though, it's pretty cool.

We had to have our luggage outside the door at 7:45, which was earlier than I wanted it to be, when last night I just thought 'I'll repack stuff up tomorrow morning'. Then tomorrow morning came, and I thought 'crap, I should have repacked that stuff last night'. Our cruise tour director is Matt. He seems friendly enough, even though our family throws his counts off every single time. We don't just put two people in a row. We've got some little ones, so sometimes there's three of us in a row. We thought we could turn it into a fun little game and hide Garrett every time he came around. Maybe tomorrow we'll try hiding him in the luggage compartment.
Our first stop was a Riverboat tour. They had free donuts, which I found super yummy. Plus, it was free- bonus! I was a bit skeptical of a 3 hour boat tour with the kids, but it was super entertaining. We got to see a sea plane demonstration. They lifted off, and landed right in the water beside us. Hayden thought this was the coolest thing ever. He said to me 'wait, it's a boat, or it's a plane?" It about blew his mind that it was both. Kind of like that time he discovered what a spork was. Then they took us farther down the river, and we stopped for a demonstration from some sled dogs. For these, they would stop the boat, and while you would stay on it, the people on land were hooked up to a sound system so you could hear them on the boat. We also got to see this crazy contraption they use up here to catch fish (kind of like a big circle wheel that scoops them out of the water), and a demonstration on how they cut and dry salmon. Eventually we ended up at a village where they showed us traditional Eskimo wear (yes, one of the stereotypical coats), and learned about how they were made, with the hides and fur and everything.

It was really rainy and cold today (which made me grateful it was an inside boat ride). When we got to the village, everyone got off the boat but me. I was the designated bag lady (hold your jokes people, I just sat on board and watched all the backpacks). But, Mom and Gwen waited in line to have the author of a children's book about sled dogs personalize and sign a book for the grandkids. Asa and the boys headed off to see the sled dogs. The boys (especially Hayden) are just fascinated with the sled dogs.

A couple of days ago my mom posted something on facebook about bringing my dads hat for one of the boys. It's nothing special, just a knit hat. When he wrote that, a friend of mine suggested we take pictures of the hat around Alaska. Light bulb moment: I then told my mom she should bring the moose I made out of my dads clothes, and we would document the moose's trip across Alaska. So, you'll probably be seeing more of the adventures of moose across Alaska. Here's him and mom at the river boat though. He's sporting a picture of both my dad and grandpa around his neck.

We took the bus over to downtown Fairbanks for lunch, where mom treated us all. Unfortunately, part of the con's of a cruise tour is that when one bus drops people off, there's a bunch more close behind. It makes for a VERY busy lunch time. Although, Matt assured us this is worse in Fairbanks than it would be anywhere else. While Mom, Cort, and Asa ordered lunch Holly and I took the kids across the street to a small park area. Gwen started jumping in puddles, and nobody really stopped her. Before I knew it all the kids were running through the giant puddles splashing water EVERYWHERE. They were soaked. Apparently, Asa sat horrified across the street in the sandwich shop thinking we were crazy letting the kids run through water, get totally soaked (including their shoes), and freeze their toes off, especially when we had a three hour bus tour ahead of us. When he addressed it, he couldn't believe we let them do it, mostly because he said if it were him he would have been in so much trouble. The funny part, that's totally accurate.

We also stopped briefly at the Alaska Pipe Line. While, the adults thought it was a neat little stop, I don't think the kids quite got it.
Cort: "We're going to go see the Pipeline'
Gwen: Look of confusion
Me: 'Whoo-hoo.. We're going to see PIPES!'
Gwen: Continued look of confusion

After that we headed out to Denali. I was glad we took that drive yesterday, because today it was so rainy, cloudy, and foggy that the views weren't nearly as good. The ride was bumpy and windy though, it got us thinking we should have stolen some air sick bags from the plane. Luckily, everyone kept their lunch in their tummies. Some of us were really rethinking that salmon chowder we had for lunch, though. We got to our hotel a little after 5, and have the evening on our own. The hotel is nice, log cabin style, and we all have balconies. Although some of us have better views then others. (Ha, ha-- clearly that translates into I got one of the good views).

Since we went out to lunch, I made PB and J for everyone for dinner. The kids got to eat out on the deck of mom's room. Apparently though, we were making so much noise, the kids running around and all, that the people below mom's room complained, and the hotel staff had to come up to tell us to quite down. Less than 24 hours together, and we already have a noise complaint. That's not a good sign.

After dinner, I took Hayden and Gwen out around the lodge to run off some steam. I took some pictures of them playing nicely together. I figure in a few days we can look at these pictures and reminisce about when the two of them still liked each other, and were getting along. We're already headed downhill on that one, anyway, as Hayden has purposed a 'No Gwen's Club'. Everyone else went out on a trail. They came back drenched and freezing, so I'm glad I didn't go. I have no idea how cold it is, but a hoodie and jeans aren't really cutting it today. I find myself longing for some Florida sunshine. They all had a good time though.

I do find myself completely forgetting about the time change. I've lost all track of day and time. This sunlight all the time thing really throws me off. It's 5 am, and it's light. It's 8 pm and it's light. It's 1 am and it's light. It's very strange. Thank god for blackout curtains, or I'd have some serious sleep deprivation. I have a fear that because of my complete incompetency when it comes to calendar date, I'm going to forget Peyton's birthday this week. Also, in case I forget, HAPPY HOUSE OWNING DAY, Justin!!!

So, as tonight's bonus feature lets talk random things I've seen in Alaska. Their signs are really strange. We've seen 'Rocks', and 'End'. Apparently no need for words such as 'falling' or 'dead'. Just, there's some random rocks. And here's the end. Also, extremely random: a couch, with a bunch of stuffed animals sitting on the side of a cliff. Not to be forgotten, the taxidermy signs, coupled with something really weird. Like a bar, or a cafe. Really? Taxidermy cafes? Yum-my, I am suddenly famished. Then, we're driving through a town, except it's not a town. It's two buildings, off in the middle of nowhere. And these buildings are a funeral home, and a medical clinic. I'd be skeptical of any medical clinic next door to a funeral home, but this just seemed very random to me. Also, the size of some of these house is ridiculous. They're smaller than my bathroom! Today, I found a sign that said 'Canada my Ass, Its Alaska's Gas'. Oh, Alaska. you're so not the rest of America.

Also, filed in the today I learned category: 1 out of 10 earthquakes world wide occur in Alaska. I learned this fact, however, painted on the wall of a place called the fudge pot. Which, makes it only slightly less reliable than Wikipedia.

Lets total up the count today.
Members of our party: Still 12. We haven't gone all 'home alone' yet.
Moose: Still just the blurry car moose. Really? Did you think there would be more? Sattlers apparently are natural moose replant.
Curling Clubs: One, but seriously, I was intrigued.
Internet Access: .5 (yes, as in 1/2) It's really spotty at best. Lets cross our fingers and hope I can post this one. I guess I won't be able to post pictures with this one tonight. This internet is SLOW.

Next Up: Denali National Park

2 comments:

  1. Hey Corinne,

    I tried to comment earlier but the dratted computer at work kept making me log back into Google...

    The trip sounds really wonderful so far and I am happy to read about it. Alaska sounds very interesting.

    There's a bit too much to comment on, it is very colorful - but I think that the moose was a wonderful idea (both making it and taking it with you) and now you'll have at least one moose in the photos, and one that means more than just any old moose.

    Waterstraut resident update:

    All of the dogs are fine. In fact, they are more than fine after I fed them several sammiches and a ton of bacon (maybe it would be best not to tell Asa about the second part as he would go into catatonic shock).

    Noah says to let you know that Phenom likes bacon just as much as Pork Chop does.

    Pork chop says he misses you. Or well he would if he could talk. Phenom is a mess and I think I'll give him a bath (if you don't mind) He is kinda dirty from running around in the grass so much.

    It has been very rainy and kinda gloomy here, but I got a bunch of basil from the plants in the back. It looks like some bugs were munching on it. Dried out it made maybe 3/4 of a regular container but at least it's not going to waste.

    Hope you guys are having a good time, and talk to you later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I didn't see this comment till just now, when I came back to post some pictures on it. In case you haven't figured it out, theres some doggie shampoo in my bathroom you can use on Phenom. I super miss Porkchop. Make sure you tell him I haven't forgotten him, and I'll be back before he knows it.

    ReplyDelete