Thursday, April 12, 2012

Week 35: Sometimes I Pretend To Be Normal. But That Gets Boring.

This weeks blog marks only four months until my birthday, and I'm saddened to say this years list is not coming along very well. I know moving put a wrench in the plans- and I can get creative to finish some of them (after all what exactly constitutes learning to eat with chopsticks? Who says camping in the living room doesn't count as camping? And what makes a Rock Band guitar any less a guitar?) I guess I'll be happy with about 70 percent of the list done, given I lost a few months in there.

I left off last Friday with all the fun Spring Break activities, and those continued into the weekend. Saturday we got up and had breakfast- waffles not on Waterstraut waffle Wednesday(blasphemous I know!)- and headed out to the fresh market. I don't know if people had been missing it, or if it was the WONDERFUL weather- but it was super packed. We took Justin with us this time, and we splurged for TWO tropical snows. Peyton and I finally got to split the much anticipated pink lemonade. It was totally worth the wait. We give it two thumbs up. Hayden also got his very first pair of shoes with laces, since he's pretty proficient in tying them now. He was so excited to show that off when he got back to school Monday.

Saturday afternoon we colored Easter eggs. I hard boiled 3 dozen of them in the slow cooker- and it totally worked. Plus, I had Hayden use a whisk for his dipper instead of those little ones that come with the dye, and it was awesome. He didn't even crack one egg.

After we had colored all but five eggs we decided we were going to leave one in each of the dyes for the rest of the afternoon to see how dark they could get. They really ended up kind of slimy and gross though, with a weird film on it. Luckily though, we left them on the counter as not to forget about them (and yes, that has happened before)- so it could have been a lot grosser.

Asa has also improved his cooking skill to a level 8, as he's making DELICIOUS burgers on the grill these days. Peyton requested them for dinner, and Asa was more than happy to oblige. I'm going to be so sad when it's too hot to want to cook out, and eat on the patio.

Saturday night there was a stop at the food truck rally, but the truck I love was out of their awesomely delicious, and very reasonably priced deviled crab. (Why did it take me 5 1/2 years of living in Tampa to eat deviled crab? It's SO yummy) I had to settle for a couple of buckeyes. Here's hoping the food trucks come back to Lutz again soon.

We also decided to watch a movie on Saturday night, and Hayden was knocked out cold by the end of it. Asa moved him to his room, and then Calib and Peyton went off to their rooms, and we started to hide eggs and baskets. With Hayden being the only Easter Bunny believer we have left, it was nice to not have to wait until Calib and Peyton were asleep. We just used the old Christmas trick- and then had so much fun with all our new house hiding spots. Some of my favs: the top of the ceiling fan in the play room, in the spice magnets, and with buzz lightyear.

The boys let Asa sleep till 9:30 on Easter morning since he had worked something like 11 days straight. Then we got up and started in on the hunting. Surprisingly, we had no rouge eggs- Asa and I remembered where we hid every single one.I did feel alot like my fathers daughter as Asa and I sat on the couch and laughed hysterically when they had things right in front of them that they just weren't seeing. I remember Easter mornings where my dad would nearly be in tears from laughter (mostly due to whatever crazy spot he had hidden Cort's basket).

After all the egg hunting, we let the boys hide a dozen for Asa and I to find. I figured this was a good amount, since they would only have 4 to keep track of. However, this would be inaccurate. Peyton couldn't remember where all his were- though we eventually found it pushed into the middle of the paper towel roll. We followed it up with an egg toss.

Then it was on to the peep jousting, which Asa reigned champion. So, just how do you peep joust you ask? Well, as I previously explained on facebook: first you must select your weapon (colored toothpick) and arm your man (jam it into his middle). Then your man must enter the ring (a microwavable safe plate). After everyone places their bets (in sweetarts of course), the ring is caged (placed in the microwave). Then the peeps fight till one has been jousted (you start the microwave and let the peeps expand until one of the toothpicks pokes the other peep). Being careful to call the match before major bodily harm is done, of course. (Before the peep explodes and you have to spend Easter cleaning your microwave)

Ugh, and now my font is all messed up. I'll try and not be all OCD about it. We had a seafood dinner out on the patio, skyped with everyone at Grandma Ainsworths, and watched Despicable Me (It's SO fluFFY!). After that we went for a scavenger hunt walk. I made a bingo type card with things you may see in the neighborhood when out for a walk, and laminated so they could use dry erase markers to mark it off (yay for a reusable activity!) Hayden was the first to get Bingo, though some say the plastic flamingo he saw in someone's garden bed didn't actually count as a bird.

By the time it got dark we were able to have a glow in the dark Easter egg hunt, and make some egg fireflies, which were made to light up and be Easter night lights. Peyton finished off the day giving Denali a nice little Easter treat.


Monday rolled around and the boys were really sad to have to go to school. I have to admit, everyone was pretty well behaved and I was also sad to see them go. Hayden woke up on Monday and said 'Is it a school day?' When I told him it was he replied 'But, I want to stay home and have more fun with you!' About broke my heart! It'll be summer vacation before we know it- we're even going to start making a bucket list for everything we want to go do this summer.

I spent most of Monday doing laundry and cleaning the house, but since we'd all been spending 15 minutes straightening the house every night of spring break, there really wasn't much to do. Luckily it's a work from home week, so I have my wonderful alarm clock of my very handsome, yet scruffy husband. (No office = no shaving)

Tuesday was SOOO boring. Asa had to go into the office for some training, the boys were off at school and the house was clean. I spent most of the day reading my kindle, and getting addicted to words with friends. I did get awfully lonely though. The dogs don't really carry on a conversation very well.

Peyton woke up in the most helpful mood, and while I was out on the patio with the dogs he got everyone breakfast. When I told Asa about this at dinner- Calib refused to be upstaged in the helpful kid category, and went out to clean and vacuum out the car. Since then it's been pretty much a competition of whose more helpful. I guess as far as them competing go, I'm ok with that.

Wednesday and today it was back to Asa working from home, which I super love. Granted, I get less done around the house- but it's nice to have the company, even if I'm just sitting in the same room with him reading my kindle. Plus, I don't have to eat lunch alone- and I HATE eating lunch alone.

Other developments of this week included Asa requesting his days off work for our annual summer Ohio visit, Peyton hating school less now that he's discovered passing fourth grade doesn't hinder on passing the FCAT, Sophie taking her first trip to go pick the boys up from school,Phenom thinking me and him are best friends (though I assure you, we are not), and the boys FINALLY caving in and getting haircuts.

Short Blog, I know- but it's been a recovery week after all the craziness that was last week, which means not a lot to report.

Next Up: Play Date to Adventure Island, and the (still slightly) dreaded FCAT







No comments:

Post a Comment