Saturday, December 1, 2012

Week 14 & 15: Two For One Special!

Holy guacamole! I knew I was behind on my blogging, but I didn't think it was this bad. I wanted to do it early this week, but I've been working on this massive timeline (seriously, massive people it was 106 pages by the time I was done) for Peyton's US History. We're going to use a easel scroll of paper to make it all pretty and cute with pictures and sayings and such, but I wanted to compile a list first, type it all out and make it super awesome. I've been working on it for weeks, and finally finished it. Historical events, Technology, Science advancements, Sports figures, Entertainment, Pop Culture, Candy Bar debuts. It has EVERYTHING. This week I decided to type it all out. It took me THREE DAYS. Yes, three. So, after typing all day I was not keen on writing my blog. But score for not having to do anymore prep work for history for the rest of the year! 

Anyway, I think we're going to have to warp speed it through this blog, as the kids (including Justin and Asa) are currently watching The Lord of the Rings, and Hayden's bowl of popcorn and attention span in about 10 minutes. It just gets harder and harder to find blogging time. And words with friends, I only play it like once a day! 

Ok, so lets pick up last week. Saturday we went out to Wiregrass to see the lighting of the tree, and the first Symphony in Lights of the Season. They had street performers, bands, and all kinds of stuff going on. There is something very strange about going to a tree lighting in flip flops and getting a snow cone instead of hot chocolate, but I'll take it. After the light show, they even had fireworks. Kind of awesome. 


 Asa worked Sunday, so we all stayed home and soaked in some football. (The Bucs totally won!) On Monday he had the day off, so we all headed out to Busch Gardens to see the Christmas Decorations, and ride some rides. The kids had the whole week off school for Thanksgiving break. Busch Gardens was more crowded than I would have liked, but it was the start to the holiday week, so I expected it (There was a reason we didn't go to Disney). 

Unfortunately, the day ended with the Cheetah Hunt breaking down (Top Thrill Dragster flashbacks, ya'll!) And so there was about 45 minutes of Asa, Calib, and Peyton waiting in line. But, on the upside Hayden and I had time to ride the skyride both ways! And we got to see the tigers super close up. 

When we got home, after dinner, we decorated our turkey cookies in a kit that my grandma had sent to us (Thanks grandma!) 

Tuesday we started on our chip ship packing. The Great Chip Ship is a new project we have going on in which everyone packages up one Pringles chip and sees if they can protect it enough to send it in the mail without it breaking. Think the whole egg drop thing, but with potato chips.. through the mail. I have got to make it to the post office to send them out. They're still sitting around waiting to get mailed. 

Wednesday was the best day ever, because it was Pie Making Wednesday, and annual tradition in the Waterstraut household. We all get together and make pies for thanksgiving. 

Katie made apple pie. 

Tracy made pecan pie, and chocolate pie. 

Asa made a pumpkin pie

Calib made a banana cream pie

Justin (who got fancy and made his crust instead of buying it like the rest of us) made a blueberry pie. 

I made a Reese's no-bake pie (because despite my many talents I don't pretend I can bake) 

Kevin played video games. And JD fixed things. 

But everyone had a good time, the kids played and the result was eight super yummy pies. 

Thursday we had Thanksgiving. I'm not a fan of Thanksgiving because it's like, 'Hey you know how you cook dinner for everyone all the time. Maybe now you could just do more of that!' So this year, I outsourced. Asa made the turkey (which was awesome btw), Calib made the green bean casserole, and I went with stovetop stuffing. I did make the mashed potatoes, but we also had some apples which were a combination of Katie's left over from her apple pie, and mine which were frozen thrown together in the slow cooker. 

Tracy, JD and their son were over for dinner, plus Justin so they all brought some things too. Plus, with the extra kid we had enough people for a kids table. Calib was pretty bummed about being at the kids table, but I told him it was one of the best parts about the holidays growing up! (Think Dogs barking Jingle Bells, and Roll eating contests). 

We also watched the Lions lose in honor of my dad, and were super disappointed when they lost. And we not only got to skype my mom, Cort, Holly, Gwen and Garrett but I also talked to Clint on the phone, skyped the rest of the Sattlers, and even got to talk to Carly in Paraguay. 

Oh, and I brought out the Thanksgiving table cloth for year number 2. It's really just a sheet, but it gets drawn on every year. Katie and Kevin were with their families for dinner, but came over for pie, so they also got in on the drawing. Katie made an awesome drawing, Justin meanwhile on the other end of things just wrote 'I brought Carrots. -Justin 2012'. Lame. 

Anyway, after dinner and pie. (Oh my gosh, SO MUCH PIE) we all huddled up to get our shopping strategies on. Tracy, Katie and I went to Target while JD, Kevin, and Asa went to the dreaded Walmart. Justin, meanwhile stayed here watching 5 kids and 4 dogs. He still thought he got the better end of the deal. 

Angela ended up staying the night on Thanksgiving, so Katie came back the next morning to pick her up and we went out shopping again. I should have known better than to try and hit Kohls just before the early birds were up. We spent like 45 minutes in line. 

The best purchase of black Friday has got to be Peyton's tortoise, Deleno. (Yes, as in the President FDR). Petco ran their reptiles half off, so the tortoise he'd been eyeing for over two years was a must purchase. Originally we had planned to have Katie and Kevin take him home, but between the hassle for them and Peyton's tears over his presumed dead tree frog, we ended up giving him the tortoise right away. Don't worry about the tree frog though, he was found later safe and sound. Outside the terrarium, but Peyton caught him and put him back in. 

Also, this tortoise is super cool. He's got an awesome personality. He's almost like a dog. He totally loves Peyton. The second night we had him, I went to tuck Peyton in and discovered the tortoise buried in the covers. They're really buddy, buddy. He eats from Peyton's hands, and loves to climb things. He also likes to hide under the dog bed. I actually never thought I could like a tortoise this much. 

Anyway, When Kevin was done with work, he came over for leftover dinner. It consisted mostly of pie, and somehow Doritio's. After all the cooking, eating, shopping, and craziness of the previous days things got a little crazy. But, a good time was had by all.. and it was the first four-person bean game tie in history I think. 

The rest of the weekend was spent cleaning up the disaster that was my house, and watching some serious football. (The gators won, but the Bucs lost a heart breaker by 1 point to Atlanta). 

This week besides the timeline, I got our December activity punch board done, a new daily board for Peyton for homeschool, and made the chip ship board for incoming chips. Plus I managed a cookout and a date night in there, and now a blog. Productivity is key these next couple weeks. I've got so much to do before Christmas! Oh and our Elf on the Shelf just arrived tonight, so that should be fun! 

Oh, and can I say.. awesome Flat Peyton pictures this week from our good friend James and his dad who took him to the Notre Dame game two weeks ago (the game that put them at #1). You really should go check it out, but here are some of my favorites. 

Thats all kids! 

Next Up: Chopping Down a Tree, Pretending First Graders can Sing, and Chinese Food! 

No comments:

Post a Comment