Friday, December 7, 2012

Week 16: " I Had To Wear PANTS today"

It's been an eventful week around here. We've been busy with holiday events, as I type this we're currently getting in our annual Christmas-time viewing of 'National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.' Next up the boys have requested Home Alone, and at some point it wouldn't be a Sattler Christmas without Yogi's First Christmas. (Remind me to search the DVR for that later!) 

Last Saturday we started with our punch a day on our Christmas Board. The first activity was going to get the Christmas tree, so after a quick trip to the library (Oh crap, someone remind me I have books due tomorrow too) we headed up to Dade City to chop down our own tree. 

After wandering around the field for awhile, the boys were totally sold on this weird tree. It was lovely on the bottom, then had nothing.. Just trunk.. then  trunk curled 180 degrees, and then a perfectly nice rest of the tree (and to be honest the gap didn't seem THAT large out in the field) I am not one of those people who need the 'perfect tree', so I was happy to oblige with a tree probably nobody else would pick. We gave a tree nobody wanted a home! We're tree-rescuers

After we brought it home and started decorating it, the giant gap became much more apparent. But you know, thats ok, our tree has personality. 

We all got our new ornaments for the year. Hayden has the countdown to Christmas Ornament, Calib a Florida Gators ornament, and Peyton got a Jack ornament from the Nightmare Before Christmas. 

Asa's ornament though, was by far my favorite (though my starfish one is super pretty). In the Sattler family, you cannot put up a Christmas tree without having Chinese food for dinner. I'm not exactly sure where/when/how the tradition started, but it's been that way as long as I can remember. At my house, my moms, and my grandmas (although grandma's usually comes with pizza too!) Asa didn't grow up with many traditions, so it's kind of hard for him to get on board sometimes. But this one involves food, so he's pretty happy to take part in that one every year. When we saw this ornament, we had to get it for him. And then we had to have Chinese food for dinner. 

Sunday was kind of an awful day. Calib had 'forgotten' to mention he had his Science Project backboard , and a model of The Great Pyramid of Giza both due early this week. So after spending my morning with the 'activity punch of the day' (which was Christmas decorating the house), doing lesson plans for Peyton, and cleaning the house in time to watch the Bucs game at 4, I was told about these projects, and spent most of my evening helping Calib, and still not getting it all done. Plus Asa worked (from home) from 4:30 until early in the morning, so I had dinner and bedtime to handle on my own. My bright spot of the day was Justin who came over and made wings for us to eat while the game was on. Justin makes THE BEST wings. I prefer them to any restaurant actually, and he even makes a non spicy version for me! 

Last weekend also saw the debut of our Elf on the Shelf. We have not had one previously, and he just 'magically' appeared on the back patio on our table. The boys were pretty thrilled. Even if the older two are a little too old for that sort of thing, they've found it super fun to track down the Elf everyday. And they were super surprised when the Elf moved while we were all gone from our house. (Surely, Justin had nothing to do with that. )Our elf has gotten into whats left of the Halloween candy, played some Xbox, Gone Sledding, read a couple of Christmas Books, colored some pictures, and even drew a mustache and unibrow on Asa. (He left me alone though, imagine that)


Monday Hayden ended up staying home sick from school, we've all started to get a bit of whats going around. He had a sore throat, and Peyton was sick to his stomach. Luckily, Asa was home to help out and I was able to get a bunch of cleaning, laundry, and housework done. But then Calib arrived home to tell me that his backboard for his Science Project was due the next day (he had previously thought he had till Wednesday), so we had to spend our evening finishing it up. He tried sucking up with 'you're the best mom' comments, but I knew better. So, I told him he was now in charge of cleaning up any Elf on the shelf messes. In a related note, does the dollar store sell silly string? Anyone know? 

Tuesday was Porkchops Birthday. He's two! I can hardly believe it. I made him a birthday cake, which the dogs always LOVE. I tried it too, but don't judge me. Its just flour, peanut butter, egg, vanilla and carrots. I refrained from the cream cheese and cinnamon frosting though.  The cake itself really didn't taste like much. 

Our activity was a 'snowball fight' in the living room. The boys had a good time making it snow, making snow angels, and having a snowball fight  but let me tell you after ten minutes I was all ready to take my hat and gloves off. Also, if you want to have such an event (really it's a Christmas activity favorite here) use lined paper, it's much cheaper! 

 Hayden also headed back to school, but when he got home he had been to the nurse two times, and was feeling slightly miserable. He was supposed to have a music concert at school that night, but by 6 pm, he wasn't really feeling up to it. He did sing us his songs he was going to sing, and we all sat in front of the tree and listened to him and clapped for him. 

Wednesday I started to take a turn for the worse. I think it had something to do with having to set my alarm since the first time since November 9th. (Asa didn't get to work from home.. boo!)  I was so not prepared for it, and I had been sleeping a ton trying to keep away the sore throat. It hasn't gotten that bad yet, but I'm a little worried about shaking it all together before our trip. I did get around to wrapping most of the Christmas presents 

The rest of the week we did Christmas activities and some fun home school projects. We decorate the fridge to look like a snowman, we made some reindeer cookies, and we got some Chips in the mail for the Great Chip Ship and got some results back from our chips. (Just Peyton's so far two-  cracked chips and one in perfect condition! To Tampa, Seattle, and Tennessee!) 

Next week should be a little calmer, as we're back to a work from home week for Asa and I don't think Calib has any surprise projects coming up. Plus I've managed to get all my lesson plans done through Christmas break. And I can enlist Peyton to help with cookie baking. It's a new 'class' we have lined up for next week before we head to the cold arctic tundra. 

My favorite quotes this week: 

Asa on having to go into the office after a month at home: "I had to wear PANTS today"

Peyton: "Are my platypus pajamas available?"

Calib: "Whats your state tomorrow? Canada?"
(And the mystery as to why Calib thought Sour Patch Kids being Canadian was not a problem in running for President is solved) 

Also worth sharing, Peytons best picture of the week. Feeding time in the terrarium! 

Next Up: Disney Christmas, Cookie Baking, and Bill Writing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment