Monday, January 27, 2014

Week 4: Meet Washington and Buchanan

Just a quick blog this week, as its only been 5 days since my last blog (a day late last week, and a day early this week), and I've been busy getting things in order- there's just not a lot to report from the Waterstrauts this week. 

The biggest news this week, comes from our two new animal family members. After much research, we determined that are one lone remaining rat, Simpson, needed some new friends after having lost both her sisters. Rats are social animals, and for the most part will adapt to new cage mates (girls especially). After learning this, Peyton REALLY wanted some new rats. Having no remaining Christmas money, however, I told him if he could scrounge up enough change- he could use that money to buy some new ones. I've never seen him on such a mission. He found, sorted, and counted over $14 in change (and one loan dollar bill he found in the laundry room) 


So after he found all that money, he headed out to Pet-Co to get another rat. And what better way to see if Simpson liked the new rats than to take her along! Peyton wanted to rescue some more feeder rats, but since we still have one, and there's no guarantee on if they're boys or girls, we thought it was best to go with the pet rats instead. 



Once in the store, Calib and Peyton picked out two rats to see how they would get along. It was a success! Simpson started licking (cleaning) the smaller rats right away. 


Since there were only two at a time, the boys picked Presidents last names for the new rats. Calib decided on Buchanan. James Buchanan was our 15th President, for those of you who are unaware, serving just before the Civil War, and Abraham Lincoln. He was also the only bachelor President. 


The whitest one, is Peytons rat: Washington. After of course our first President, George Washington. She is a true albino, not like Simpson whose fur is more of the off-white color. Washington is quiet mischievous, 

 They aren't all sharing a cage yet, just to be cautious. But each day the boys get them out for play dates. Simpson gets to be out for a little while longer, since she's much calmer, and tamer. She's being spoiled with Cherrio's lately, her favorite. She seems in good health, so I'm hoping she is around for much longer. (Feeder rats generally only live 1 to 2 years) 


Other than Washington and Buchanan joining the family, we've just been nose to the grind stone with home school. We do have some pen pal letters to catch up on, so if you're waiting for one, I promise we'll get to you soon! There's been lots of park trips as the weather hasn't been too terribly cold, though I hear Wednesday we'll struggle to hit 50. The panhandle is even expecting snow. Part of me thinks we should take a trip to see snow in Florida. The Floridian part of me thinks seeing snow is not worth the 3 hour drive. 

Oh, and we did make the 'kitchen sink' at home, the boys wanted one at Disney, but we didn't end up getting one. I thought I could recreate it at home instead. It was pretty awesome. 



This week we're working on perimeter and area. Hayden had a hard time grasping the difference, so I happily gave him a visual. They're also working on their 'Design a Zoo' project in which they have to determine the area that certain animals need and make pens and such on a blue print. They're all really into this project. 


Meanwhile, I've been working hard on our continent boxes for the Olympics. The two weeks during the Olympics, I plan to take a break from the usual work, and instead mix it up. We'll open one of these boxes everyday, do the activities inside, cook our recipes, and play traditional games from somewhere on the continent. I have plans for the second week of the Olympics too, as we're drawing for countries besides America to root for, give reports on, and learn about. 


Congratulations are also in order for Asa who passed another class. I did take a picture of him with his rootbeer float, but I'm way too lazy at the moment to find my camera. I've taken less pictures this week, because my camera is on the way out, maybe I'll get a new one at tax return/bonus time. 

I will say this week in particular, we've really been enjoying some Little Big Planet, so much fun, but I wish it were five player. We can't all play at the same time and have to rotate out, so that kind of stinks. 

The rest of my week will be some more planning. We have groundhogs day, the Super Bowl, a Disney trip, Hayden's Birthday, and our Olympics Extravaganza coming up. And since we got Simpson on Hayden's birthday last year, the boys have asked if we can throw her a birthday party too. Psh, no problem. I can make a rat party. 

Up Next: Cross your fingers for a Broncos Super Bowl win, or I'm going to have one sad Peyton. 


No comments:

Post a Comment