Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Week 5: Snackadiums, and Groundhogs

It's been a crafty week around here, as we get set for the Olympics and had some other special events to celebrate. I know I'm forgetting a lot that happened this week, but my camera is on the fritz so without the pictures to remind me, I have no idea what occurred. I'm talking the battery at this point is taped in. Which means, so is the SD card. So, downloading pictures to post or save hasn't been happening very often, since each time I have to replace the tape. We did file our tax return, I'm thinking a new camera will be in order when it arrives, whenever that'll be. 

In the mean time, I made the boys some cool reading bingo cards. I even cross-referenced with the library, so I know they're available. My guess will be Hayden gets Bingo first, soley based on the fact that his books are so much smaller. 


Hayden's been big on books from the library lately about animals. He has decided that we need to move to South (or Central) America, so that his pet sloth will be the most comfortable. 


I finished off the buckets for our continents we'll be opening during the Olympics. This game is pretty awesome. The goal is to find out the country.  Inside each envelope is three clues in envelopes. Each clue narrows down the whereabouts of a criminal. If they find the criminals location, they'll collect the reward (in plinko chips). They can place guesses after only the first or second clues, but it'll be a guess. The last clue should narrow it down to the exact country. 



Speaking of the buckets, Asa and I had a great time this week at various grocery stores looking for random food items from various countries to put in the boxes. I can't wait for the german cookies, or the english candy. The pop from Mexico kind of frightens me, but I'm most afraid of the canned herring from Canada. 

We also had a tooth fall out! Hayden was very concerned. He said 'I know there isn't a toothfairy, but can I still get some money'. 


I did get my February board done just in time too. Usually I'm at least a week ahead on this, this time I made it in with a couple days to spare. 


Saturday Hayden and I went down to the library, and watched Despicable Me 2. I also loaded up on books. 


Because Super Bowl Sunday was also falling on Groundhogs day, we decided to celebrate the rodent early with 'Groundhogs' for dinner. Thats a mound of mashed potatoes, surrounded by corn, and meatballs for the groundhogs, with carrot teeth. 


We also constructed our very own 'groundhogs' to see if they would see their shadow the next morning. 


Not only did I get the Super Bowl Prop Bet Board up in time, but I also constructed the awesome Snack-adium. It really wasn't very hard. 


Sunday morning, our ground hogs did end up seeing their shadow. So, sorry northern friends, not only did Punxsutawney Phil predict six more weeks of winter, so did our groundhogs. 



Just before kick off, I filled up the Snackadium. In the Seattle endzone we have tortilla chips and bread, with queso and Salsa on either side, in the middle there are mini corn dogs, veggies, and apples, mozzarella sticks, sweet potato fries, fried mushrooms, and BBQ meatballs, and in the endzone for the broncos we have potato chips, cheeze-its, and pretzles with dill dip and spinach dip.. then outside the stadium, on the broncos side we have the peanut butter (foot) ball with graham crackers.. and outside the stadium on the seattle side we have dipping sauces (ketchup, ranch, mustard, marinara, and a special 'campfire' sauce). Then of course, the middle is cake. 

Later, bbq wings were added, when we consolidated some of the food that had been eaten. 



It was a fairly even stadium, except for the 'Go Broncos' in cheeze-its. 


And I thought the pennants were a nice touch.


The boys all loved it. Hayden said it was the best thing I've ever made. 


They were pretty happy when I said I was done taking pictures and they could dig in. 


We didn't have a party this year. Partly because we had Peyton too invested in the game, and partly because Asa was working until 7, but we did put up a prop bet board, and had a couple of people call in their bets. Jake was the winner, mostly because he was the only one who picked the Seahawks to win. 


So, we all gathered around the TV and started to watch the Super Bowl. 



Which, as many of you know, turned ugly (for Broncos fans) very, very quickly. I felt so bad for Peyton. He really just wanted to see them win, and wanted Peyton Manning to win MVP so we could see him at the Disney parade thrown in honor of the Super Bowl MVP. None of that happened, and he was pretty devastated. We actually ended turning off the game and not even watching after Percy Harvin returned the kickoff for a touchdown after the half. 


The next day, Calib and I were at least set to go to Disney to see the Super Bowl MVP, as its become kind of a tradition. I was sad Peyton couldn't see his player, but I was pretty excited at the prospect of seeing Percy Harvin or Russell Wilson. (I like the Seahawks, I just couldn't root for them and thus against Peyton). But, they named some player I had never heard of as the MVP. Even Asa hadn't heard of him, and he knows almost all the players in the NFL. So, we decided to stay home. 

A big thank-you out to our neighbors, Lonnie and Jan.. they've got tons and tons of Papayas.. and check out the size of it! 


We've got a lot of special events this week, as evident by our menu board, so I'm working overtime. 


Last night after dinner, we had our Olympic Country drawing. In addition to of course rooting for Team USA, we'll be rooting for our countries, and doing reports about them. We had some 'olympic torches' (aka ice cream cones), and randomly drew our countries. 


Hayden has read a book about Sweden yesterday (since I had gotten books about all the possible countries at the library), so we was really hoping to get it. However, he ended up with the Netherlands. 


Peyton got Russia. Today we learned that 223 Russians will compete in the games (the most ever), in all 15 olympic events. 


Calib drew Austria. They're also sending the most winter Olympians ever to the Sochi games. 


Asa was hoping for any country but France, so of course he got France. While I was pleased with the Sweden pick. 

We also finished our zoo projects today. The boys laid out their whole zoos, and mapped them with their perimeters and areas. 


And if you're someone expecting a pen pal letter from us, just know it might be coming in an interesting way. 


Thats it from here. We've got a big week ahead! 

Next Up: The Olympics! And, Hayden turns EIGHT! 





No comments:

Post a Comment