Monday, May 5, 2014

Week 18: Home Sweet Home

We woke up Sunday knowing we had a big drive ahead of us (13 hours and 9 minutes according to Mapquest!), lucky for us we were at another free breakfast hotel. This was the best one yet. We had pancakes, eggs, fruit, sausage, bacon, potatoes, muffins, yogurt-- really any breakfast food you might want. 


The boys all filled up, and we checked out. 


This didn't turn out so well, but it was 9:34 am when we left, and the gps said we would arrive at 10:24pm. Ugh. 


But, my boys are good travelers. They entertained themselves for awhile. Here is Calib's Benny the Beaver (they love alliteration, I take full blame for that one) trying to quit his job as President to work at Walmart in Alabama to sell Apple Pie, or something. Whatever it was, Benny the Beaver has a thick accent, and had Peyton and Hayden super entertained. I actually kind of love this picture, it's childhood at it's best. (This may possibly be in response to Asa saying 'Benny is being an ass', as well. But, who's to say. 


They also happily ate their PB &J in the car for what to them, I'm sure felt like the thousandth time with zero complaints. (I will not be making sandwiches for lunch this week, I'm totally over them!) 


After spending the day going through Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia, we finally arrive in Florida around 7ish. 



We got home at 10:44 last night, only 20 minutes later than the gps originally told us, and we stopped four times, so I thought that was making pretty good time. We unpacked the car, and greeted all our pets. They were so happy to see us, and a little fat- Justin sure did keep them all well fed while we were gone. (Thanks a ton, Justin, we owe you dinner!) 

Due to our early morning schedules on vacation, we were all up early this morning. Even Calib was up on his own accord by 10 am! I got everything unpacked before I started taking on this huge undertaking of this weeks blog (I should have written it along the way, but we were so busy!) 

Our neighbor, Lonny did a great job watching our garden for us. We came home to some broccoli, 


some Jalapeno Peppers, 


a whole mess of tomatoes, and some baby purple bell peppers. 


We had hoped to go to New Orleans with mom a couple of weeks ago, but two vacations that close together would have broken the bank. She was kind enough to pick some Beignet mix up for us though, so we could still get the experience. I can't wait to make some! 


I also unpacked all my magnets. They are happily residing on my fridge. 


I told you Peyton was getting quite the pen collection- here are all the pens that he picked up along the way. 


Our Bonsai tree and Venus Fly Trap made it home A-Ok too. 


And while we lost a small branch off our Blueberry plant from Mount Vernon, it too made it home. 


I finally let Hayden open his package of Civil War Soldiers he bought on the trip. He's playing Civil War with them. At one point when he was playing with his toys, I heard him say "We're going to have to run that by Congress!" I feel slightly like I've tricked them into learning all week. My mom told them they were on one long field trip, and they responded with "No, we're on vacation!" 


I did have to stitch up two of Hayden's stuffed animals he got on the trip today. He plays a little rough with his toys. But, he was grateful for my efforts and I later found the same stuffed animals sitting like this. 


We celebrated Cinco De Mayo tonight with a whole mess of Nachos made by Asa (it's work from home week, so he's around-- yay!), but otherwise we had a pretty low key day. Laundry is still going through, and the kids never got out of their pajamas, but I'm ok with all of that. It's good to be home! 

Next Up: It's Draft Day and Mother's Day in the same weekend!! I am a lucky girl! 


No comments:

Post a Comment