Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Day One: The North Shore

So, I know you all know by now that I was in Hawaii; and that it was my 50th state (I guess it's time to start conquering countries now!). Since we were there mostly for her to go to the Hawaiian AMATYC conference (that's the same kind of conference she was at when I got to stay in that huge room in Nashville, seems her being president of AMATYC has been quite beneficial to me!), we were only on Oahu for three days. While she was at her conference, I was on my own. But, her friend Linda had offered to pick her up and drop her off so that I could have the car while she was gone. Linda brought me all kinds of stuff when she picked up mom including some fresh Hawaiian pineapple and papaya for breakfast. 


I was up at 6 am Hawaiian time and headed out after mom left. I decided since she would be busy all day, that I would head out to the North Shore. It's much quieter out there. My first stop was Mokuleia Beach. Asa and I were big fans of the show "Lost", and it was filmed on Oahu, so I got to see a lot of the sights that were featured. This beach was only the set of season one though. It's easy to get to, so after the show got big they moved it to a more remote location so fans couldn't find it so easily. The other beach you have to hike to, you can't just park at it. 




Just down the road from there is the YMCA camp that Lost fans know as the Other's camp. (The buildings aren't the right shade of yellow anymore) 






I headed down the road to the small town of Haleiwa. 


My meal times were all kinds of screwed up since I was sort of on Hawaii time, sort of not. I stopped for a 'brunch' of sorts and had banana hawaiian bread french toast. It was as good as it looked. 


And it was the first full meal, besides crackers, I had eaten in days. 


My favorite part about Hawaii: the wild chickens. Really, I LOVED this. Linda (mom's Hawaiian friend, said I could take them all with me, she's not a fan!) 


I backtracked a bit after breakfast since the Dole Plantation was closed when I first passed it. Our friend James actually spent some of his childhood living on Oahu. He said this building looks the same as it did 20 years ago! 


This is the view from the other side of the entrance. Living in Florida, tropical places lose some of their appeal. I mean, I do see palm trees and beaches all the time. So I found myself more enamered with the landscape of Hawaii than the beaches. (Although the beaches are very different from ours here) 


Mom was hoping to make it out to the Dole Plantation, so I thought about not stopping. But, in case we didn't have time to get out there, I wanted to make sure I made a quick stop (good thing too, traffic prevented us from getting back out there!)  I didn't take the train tour of the field in case we were coming back, but I did walk around the grounds a little. 







Lots of Koi! 


And more chickens! 

But let's be real, you know why I was here: to get a Dole Whip! 


It was AMAZING. It was even better than the Dole Whips at Disney; sweeter and creamier! 



And the gift shop was super impressive. I could have bought everything! I collect magnets though, so that's what I went with (two actually; since I couldn't decide between a Dole Plantation one and a 'I love Dole Whips' one!) 





(If I was a golfer I totally would have gotten these pineapple tees!) 


I headed back toward Haleiwa and walked around the North Shore Marketplace. 

They also are supposed to have some of the best Shave Ice on the island; but I really wasn't in the mood since I had just had breakfast and then the Dole Whip. 


But I did get Asa some Hawaiian coffee at a little local coffee shop. 



And then I window shopped. 





Sunflowers! 


And chickens/roosters (I really liked them!) 


Then I just followed the Kamehameha Highway around the island, stopping at all kinds of beaches along the way. 



Feet in the Pacific! 




I wish I could have captured how big the waves were on this side of the island. Also, I didn't see any, but apparently early in the morning you can usually find Sea Turtles out here eating algae off the rocks. 




I literally had to wait for the chickens to cross the road. Look at all the little babies! 


I had a friend who had been in Hawaii a couple of weeks before me and he suggested I make the trip to Waimea Valley. You pay to get in, but it's totally worth it- there's a nice paved 'trail' of sorts. 


And there was peacock just wandering around. (FYI, this isn't zoomed. I was that close to him!) 


He ruffled his feathers at me, and I backed away though. 


Then I 'hiked' (it's a really easy trail) up to the waterfall. 



There's all kinds of stops and signs along the way. 



There was a guy weaving bracelets out of palms in here, so I watched him for a bit. It was really cool. 



The waterfall looks a lot bigger in person than in my pictures! 


Usually you can swim here, but it was closed to swimmers when I was there, I was bummed. 


And Lost fans, it's also the Waterfall where Kate finds the case! 



It drizzled a bit on my walk back, but nothing too bad. I actually had pretty nice weather the whole time I was there. 





On my way out, I had to stop for more chickens and ducks to cross the road (are you sick of my chicken pictures yet? I told you, I loved them!) 


I came across this area along the Kamehameha Highway where tons of people were snorkeling. It was sheltered from the big waves by the huge rocks out there, making this little circle area. 


I didn't have any snorkel gear, but I waded out and even doing that I saw some schools of fish. 


And again, it all looks so much smaller in pictures, but it was awesome just to see the huge waves crash over the rocks and then make a waterfall. 





I stopped along the way at a little roadside fruit stand. 



They let me try the coconut for free! (I wasn't a big fan though) 

I continued along and stopped for 'lunch' (it was more like dinner) at one of the famous shrimp trucks: Giovanni's. Everyone writes on the truck in sharpie, it's pretty cool. 




I ordered the shrimp scampi. I thought it was funny the hot shrimp said 'no refunds'. 

It took a little while to get my food (there was a HUGE line), so I browsed around some of the stands. 


There was a covered picnic table area, and chickens wandering around waiting for food to drop. It reminded me of the ducks and seagulls always waiting for food at Disney. 


And there was an outdoor sink to wash your hands. 


Which I definitely needed, because it was messy, messy, messy. 


But sooooooo good. My favorite thing I ate on the island for sure. 


I had hoped to go to the Polynesian Cultural Center, but it was nearly 4 and I didn't feel like I'd get my money's worth so I continued along and enjoyed the scenery. 



I stopped at the Kualoa Ranch, even though it was almost closing time. 



This ranch is where they filmed Jurrassic Park and some more of Lost. You can take ATV rides or horseback rides back into the specific areas, but I didn't have time since I stopped by about 20 minutes before close. Something for next time I suppose. 

I got back to the hotel around 7 or so, and I was tuckered out and ready for bed. (I was asleep around 9) Mom had gotten to see a little of the island, and had some pineapple and papaya to end her first day in Hawaii. 


Next Up: Hawaii, Day Two

No comments:

Post a Comment