Saturday, March 14, 2015

Happy Pi Day!

It's Pi Day! And, you, as a grown adult reading my blog, have to know what pi is. And, if you know us at all, you know OF COURSE we celebrated today. 


But, before I get to that, we've had a busy few days since I've been back from Hawaii. (I still can't believe I've been to all 50 states, that's pretty awesome!) Tuesday was pretty much a wash for me, I'm still adjusting back to the time change. Even if I was going to bed at 9 pm Hawaii time, that was still 3 am here. And, staying up for 35 hours didn't really fix that either. I did, however, catch up on obscene amounts of TV with Asa. (Did you watch all of House of Cards yet? AMAZING!) 

Wednesday we had scheduled to go on our bonus check date day. We had planned to go the Monday before I left, and in fact Asa had even taken a vacation day for it. But, I was sick, so that didn't work out. We thought about getting up early to go to Disney, and walk the world before it got too crowded enjoying the Flower and Garden Festival (I know, it's that time of year! So exciting!). But, my lazy butt did not want to get out of bed. So, my husband settled for a day of shopping. (Isn't he a keeper?) 

We started with lunch out at LeeRoy Selmons (best corn casserole around, Millard Fillmore would love it!) 



Followed by all kinds of random stores, Whole Foods, Target, Ikea, and even Joanne Fabrics. Asa's really fun to go anywhere with though, and he's always a good sport. 



After all that we also went out to eat. Asa collected his free birthday month burger at Red Robin, and we headed home. 


And not only did he not mind the fact we ended up at Joanne Fabrics for our date day, he practically forced me to get this shelving unit I'd been dying for since I started home schooling. THEN he put it all together. 


But, this shelving unit is HUGE, and it took pretty much all day Thursday to put everything on it. I know we will be moving sometime in the next year, but this house was closing in on me- and home school was the main culprit. This helps SO much. My kitchen cabinet is back to belonging to the kitchen, my laundry room is back to belonging to the laundry room, my closet has room for all our stuff, and random things that were all over the house now reside in this one place. 


But, when we took things from one place we ended up cleaning and moving and straightening. We also had to move all kinds of pictures, and figure out what to do with all the stuff that was there in the first place. And, so Asa spent his day off helping me. I sure know how to pick them, huh? (Or, at least this one!) 


And, with moving stuff around I made room for another one of my home school dreams, a shelf full of my presidential pez dispensers. That's all of them, in order, folks. I LOVE it! 


Friday Asa was working, and I had SO much to do. We have a very busy week next week including THREE presidents birthdays, which I had prepared ZERO for. After a trip to the store, and helping the boys with their home school checklists, I managed to get together all our stuff for Pi day, and everything done for Andrew Jackson's and James Madison's birthdays. I still have things to plan for Saint Patricks Day, our Florida Anniversary, and Grover Cleveland's birthday, but it's a huge start, and I can breathe a little. I also moved all of February's presidents to Peyton's room to make room for our new March board. I was so happy when Peyton asked for them to be in his room, because I was going to be really sad to get ride of George, Abe, and Reagan. 


Which brings me to today. I knew it was going to be a lot to fit in everything today, but we started out with a Build N Grow this morning at Lowes. 


The Lowes by our house still isn't opened though, and so we had to settle for the one down Dale Mabry, which put us halfway to our next destination. Knowing there was no way I was getting Calib up early enough, I asked Peyton if he wanted to come along for the next event. He agreed, and when we got to Lowes, they asked him if he wanted a kit to put together too. I figured he'd feel like he was too old for it, but he happily asked for one. 


They both did a good job putting it together without any help from me. 



We had an early lunch at PDQ, which the boys chose. They don't get to go out to eat a whole lot, but I feel like everytime they get to pick, they go with PDQ. 


And then we headed over to MOSI. They were having all kinds of special Pi Day activities, which I was excited about because it made planning the day a lot easier on me. The boys added to the pi day chain, which was much longer by the time we left. 


Most of the pi day activities were out in the courtyard. We came across the pie catapult, and the boys HAD to try it out. 


But, they had forgone these catapults. Apparently they were sending the pies way high. (Really we saw them all over the IMAX dome, it was kind of awesome) 


First, they picked a personal pie, and calculated the circumference. This MOSI employee had all the patience in the world. He was teaching kid after kid how to calculate circumference (of course, mine knew how to do it, though. Hayden needed a little help, but Peyton had no trouble at all)


Then they got to launch it, at another fabulous MOSI employee. We saw some pies come really close, but none actually hit him. 



Then it was Peyton's turn! 




They had all kinds of bubbles for the kids to play with. (Which was nice since our hands were all sticky from the pie catapult) 





And then it was time for some pie games. (This is me taking a picture of Peyton in his shirt in case he got messy, thanks to my mom we all had them, and got lots of compliments on them!) 


He had to find the gummy worm in his whipped cream pie without using his hands. Peyton is weird about getting messy, and I though I would have to convince him, but he wanted to do it- no convincing needed. Hayden on the other hand, didn't want any part in it. 



That's Albert Einstein counting down for the kids (it was also his birthday celebration!) 



Nice work, Peyton! 


The boys also made some pi day bracelets. They would pick colors for the various numbers and then string them along. 



It was a really hot day today, and so we went into kids in charge to cool off and play. 





And when we were headed out, we saw Einstein was playing with liquid nitrogen, so we had to check it out! 


The froze some flowers, and 'broke' them over a volunteers head. 


They also froze some birthday cupcakes and then broke them all over the table. 


And we got to see how the liquid nitrogen reacted when it was poured out. Pretty cool! (It was Peyton's favorite part of the day) 


The boys had a tween game day at the library, so it was time for us to head out, but we wanted to stop by the new Savage Garden full of carnivorous plants. 



You might recall Hayden went to his first game day last month (it's for ages 9-12), and we were a little worried about how Peyton would feel having Hayden join him, but Peyton seemed to have more fun with him there. Today, they stayed for the full two hours playing with other kids and having snacks. 


When we got home they still had their Pi Day owl mail. 


The last part of their pi packet was to make a 'Pi Skyline' on graph paper. 


They came out pretty cool. (Excuse my empty cabinet, I took out all the home school stuff, but I haven't filled it with kitchen stuff yet) 



Aren't we all so cute in our matching shirts? 







It was pi day inspired pizza for dinner. I had plans of making homemade, but these were on sale at Publix this week, and after how busy I've been, I was happy to take a little help from the store and just arrange the pepperoni. 


 And of course, there was pie for pi day. 


I wasn't joking when I said it's a busy week for us. See our calendar? That week full of pictures is about to be upon us. I just realized I have two weeks before John Tyler's birthday, that makes me happy- if I can just get to Grover Cleveland, I'll be happy. (His is going to work slightly differently since his actual birthday falls on our Florida Anniversary, though)  Hope you all had a lovely pi day! 


Next Up: I'll see you back here tomorrow for Andrew Jackson's Birthday! 
















No comments:

Post a Comment