Monday, February 19, 2018

Olympics Day 11: Long Jump & Presidents Day

We interrupted our 'Best Of' Week for one of my favorite holidays, Presidents Day! That also means I get a tiny break from blogging. This one should be real quick. 


Which means a fun game of True American! Everyone customized the snack tower with various cookies, cakes, blintzes and cinnamon monkey bread. 


And this time around I added in the dry erase board. The boys get three questions per round, and sometimes by the time we all get in three questions, they don't remember what they asked. So I gave them the white boards to write down things they knew. I killed it on mine. I would narrow down my numbers, write down the possible presidents and then ask questions like 'Does their first name start with a 'W'. Calib told me it was super unfair, and I was basically playing Guess Who with Presidents. I say, 'you should have studied up on the numbers if you couldn't remember them!' To be fair though, he is studying up on landmarks for Jeopardy. 


It was a fun game though. Basically, if you've never seen us play True American, you have to guess the president on your head, when you figure out who you have, you buzz in, announce 'JFK! FDR!'.... and then whoever your person is, take your prohibition cocktail shot, then you get to take a step through the hot lava (and on to the pillows)for every fact you can name about the president, making your way to the middle for a snack on the tower and then a new president to guess. If you can't name three facts, you head on over to the corner of shame to look through the president's book I made to find out three. 


It's always a good time. 


True American: Going Strong since 2015! 


The winner gets to eat off of the one presidential plate I have, Benjamin Harrison's! And I was the winner. Plus, I totally got to wear my James Polk shirt today.  Of course we themed our dinner with Nancy Reagan Mac & Cheese, Calvin Coolidge Carrots, JFK corn bread, and George Washington Cherry Cobbler. 


The boys had some fun around the world drinks they got in the mail from the Home Office today along with some more pictures of landmarks to identify. 


We did have an Olympic Event today with Ski Jumping. I got this idea (and the printable) from Pinterest.  You just need the printable, two different sizes of straws and some tape. Oh, and some willing crafters. 



Then, it's pretty self explanatory. 


 Everyone made their own skiers. 


Then, you blew through your straw to see how far you could get them to 'jump'. We decided to do it in the kitchen doorway, so it would be easy to mark off the jumps. 


I just used tape to mark everyone's jumps. 


After the first round, we had Peyton in the lead, Calib, Asa and I in the middle, and Hayden in last. 


But everyone got three jumps. I only moved the tape if you beat your previous jump. 


Hayden ended up taking home the gold. Then you can see Peyton's blue tape line, Asa's navy line, Calib's white line and my yellow line in last. 


We had our medal ceremony. 


And recorded them for today. Nobody's countries had won anymore medals since the last time I recorded them. 


So, people just got their points for tonight, which meant no changes in the standings. 


Next Up: The Best of South America (but it's going to be kind of crazy to fit everything in, we've got two meals, a couple of events, a braces appointment, and teen advisory board at the library. 



No comments:

Post a Comment