Tuesday, November 6, 2018

2018 Midterms (Live Updates!)

Election Day: November 6, 2018 8:31 AM

Hey guys! It's election day! It's like Christmas! Well, sort of. Last 'Christmas'/Election Day I wound up with the biggest lump of coal in my proverbial stocking. Maybe it's my love of history, and democracy, but I just adore election day. And I was sort of worried my love for it would be soured after last time. 

Look, we all know how I felt about Trump. And I tried. You guys, I tried with this guy. I went to his rally in Tampa (which, that experience is just seared in my brain for all eternity), with as open mind as I could come with. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt when he was elected, because besides drinking our problems away, what else could we do at that point? I went to his inauguration hoping the presidency would change him. 

But, two years in, I think we can say, it didn't change him. It's almost really only made things worse. 

 It's like Trump was just trying to test me. You know, I wrote that blog telling people we have to give him a chance- but also really focus on things that matter and not, for instance, pick apart what Melania is wearing- and then she goes and wears the infamous jacket. Like, I never ever could have predicted that. I really thought he'd come around. I had hope- because I'm of the 'Yes We Can' generation. 

I mean, besides everything else, Trump is just so embarrassing as a president. He does and says all these things we raise our kids not to do. He name calls, he refuses to accept responsibility, he's the biggest perpetrator of 'What-about-ism' there is out there. Don't even get me started on how hypocritical he is. And most of all, he lies. He just says things that are not true. The  President of the  United States should at least be some kind of moral compass, at least SOME of the time. 

And I get it, he's not the first unqualified, morally bankrupt president we've ever had. We've had some pretty gross, misogynistic, even racist presidents. It's just that I had thought in 2016, we would have known better. But you know, when I taught the presidents, in hindsight it was usually easy to see WHY someone was elected. Just look to the guy before, or a couple before and you could quietly see the shift in the country. I firmly believe, years from now, when you look back, Trump it'll be like 'Oh, yea, because Obama'. 

My love for Democracy, for Politics, for America, was waning. I'm just so sick of how terrible it's gotten. Most Republicans can't just admit Trump is morally terrible, but they'll support him as long as their interests align. This bullshit of covering for him, or avoiding questions, or trying to say he didn't say something he did, is just too much. After two years of Trump, and a whole slew of spineless Republicans, I changed my voter status from Independent to Democrat.

I really did think Trump might have ruined my love for election day. But, as we got closer and closer I realized he hadn't. People with positive messages have stepped up. People to make us feel better about the state of things. People who give us hope. Who bring back some sanity. 

I woke up bright-eyed and bushy tailed for election day just as hopeful as I was two years ago. At least that hasn't been taken from me. I dug out my election day shirt, refusing to believe it's cursed. I couldn't find my 'Barack the Vote' shirt. Bummer.



Even though it's midterms, it's still just so exciting! All 435 seats in the House of Representatives are up for grabs today. And usually it's like if you want to change the make-up of our democracy it'll take time. But not today! Today we could change the whole freaking House of Representatives. Of course, I know we won't, because some are uncontested seats, and some (like my district) are as red as red can be- of course some are as blue as blue can be too. But, it's the whole idea that the people get to decide that's encouraging. 

And maybe I'll end up just as disappointed this time, as I was last time. But, maybe not! We'll see, hopefully by the end of the night. But my gosh, if I end up with a Rick Scott and a Ron DeSantis representing me, I will not be a happy camper. Calib and Peyton keep telling me to prepare myself. As much as they love living in this state, they don't have much faith in the vote here. 

So, that's it for my rant.

 If you'd like to see what were doing here for election day, we've been looking into the various house races. I took all the 'toss up' races and printed out a list, and made a little blurb for each race. The boys (and Asa) then filled out who they thought would win, to make their predictions. 


The filled out the ballots, and then I made it all draft board style (like how Calib and Asa make their predictions for the NFL Draft), and hung them up on the french doors. Whoever gets the most right, wins the $10 pot. It got very competitive, people did research on the polls and the candidates, and what area of the state the district was in. 


I got those up mid-day yesterday, and then whenever the news was on and they were talking about a race, everyone would run to the board and see who they had picked. 


Of course, I also made Bingo for watching coverage tonight. 


But, there's talk of doing a family bingo for reactions. Only because my cousin Joanne is terrible at texting me back, and she didn't get her suggests in on time. But, it's not a bad idea. 

Update 10:00 AM

Hayden, Calib, Asa and I headed to the polls (Peyton, shockingly enough, is still asleep). Calib, on the other hand, wishes he was still  sleeping. His announcement on the way to the polls: "I'm sick of getting up early to fill in bubbles" (You know, because he took the SAT on Saturday") 

For the first time, I voted straight ticket Democrat. I'm so hoping Andrew Gillum wins. I voted for him in the primaries, even though I didn't think he had a snowballs chance of winning. And here we are. So, you know, even the underdogs sometimes come out on top. 

Fun fact: a couple of days ago on 'my memories' on Facebook, from four years ago, 'Next time we elect a governor, Calib will vote!' came up. And here we are. I'm excited for him, because as much crap as his generation takes, I think there is going to be a huge 'young people' voter turnout, and he gets to be a part of that. 

Hayden came into my little booth with me, and he got a 'Future Voter' sticker! 


We still had time before Asa had to clock in (shockingly enough my very republican precinct has three polling places to help with lines) so we headed to get a quick breakfast to celebrate Calib's first voting! 


Update 4:00 pm

Because watching all this election coverage can make you hungry! (And we totally have a red, white and blue theme for dinner! 


Update: 6:50 PM

We're getting a bit worried, not for any particular reason, just because we know lots of races will be close. I just dropped Peyton off at the library for Anime Club and the Rec Center next door still had a line out the door for voting. 

Also, a cousins Midterms chat has been started. Joanne is freaking me out even more. But, at least we have a family Bingo Board to keep us occupied. 


7:52 pm

The first results have come in. So far Gillum and Nelson are ahead, so we're closely watching. Calib's really freaking out that DeSantis might win. 

But also, our first results in our 'toss up' board. Everyone predicted the Virginia 10th going Democrat except for Hayden. 



Update: 8:25 PM

We're getting more pessimistic. Peyton just said 'are you all ready to be disappointed by your state?' 

So, the adults broke out the alcohol and the kids poured the Prohibition Cocktail Punch. 


Update: 10:00 PM
Enthusiasm has waned. Florida is going to go straight red, and it's SO depressing. I have a real love-hate relationship with this state. But, you know, at least next time we'll have 1.4 million ex felons who can vote AND Peyton. So, that's something. And at least the House is going to go to the Democrats. We never thought Democrats would take the Senate. 

The living room crowd is dispersing. Peyton has complained: "My disappointment is immeasurable. My day is ruined." 

Calib announced his frustration: "We can't go to Canada, it's too cold. And Mexico kinda sucks." 


Asa and I are considering going to bed. The Challenge was on MTV tonight, and if there's one thing that'll make us feel better it's trashy TV. 

Oh, and I might not have voted for any winners. But, I did win election night Bingo. 


And, I can't make any projections yet on the winner of the house race predictions. Calib is winning so far with 9. I'm sure this one we'll have to continue tabulating in the morning. Too many close races to stay up. 

Update: 10:48 PM

Calib has gone to bed, Asa cleaned up our election day food spread, and Peyton has chosen to do MATH over watching election coverage. That sums up tonight. Dejected about Florida. But pleased with all the 'history making' candidates winning in the House of Representatives , even if it's not our state. 


Update: November 7 10:32 AM

We went through and checked our prediction boards this morning. We're still awaiting results from 5 of the races we had on our list. Calib and Hayden are tied at 29 correct. Peyton and Asa both had 26 correct. It appears as though they can't win though, based on the races still out there. Peyton could beat one of his brothers, but then he would lost to another. I couldn't figure out Asa's because my head hurt by the time I got there- but I think the best he can do is a three way tie. 

Also, I still think Florida sucks at elections. 

But, it has Disney, Harry Potter world, nice beaches, awesome parks, swimming basically year round, and palm trees. So, I think I'll stay here. (As long as it's here, you know, since we elected a bunch of guys who don't believe in Climate Change). 

But, I'll continue to not use their crappy education system (which they refuse to fund properly), except for circumventing the fact that free college can be a reality if you just use duel enrollment and hold off applying for graduation for a bit. 


Update: November 20

The Florida election is going to be certified today, after both machine and hand recounts. While the results are not at all what we wanted, Democrat Nikki Fried ended up winning Commissioner of Agriculture by just a couple thousand votes. So, that's a bright spot. And Ron DeSantis has seemed to have changed his tone since the election, is reportedly considering a Democrat or two for his cabinet, and never once spread the ridiculous false narrative of 'rampant voter fraud' and 'Democrats stealing the election'. So I'll reserve judgement on him. 

The same cannot be said for our two Senators. Marco Rubio was always the worst. But, even more so after how much he complained about the recounts. And I've always despised Rick Scott. But his whining, when we all knew he was going to win anyway (recounts so rarely change things it just never seemed plausible he would lose), is just pathetic. 

In case you're wondering who won our House predictions, that went to Hayden. But we had to wait days to determine a winner. He predicted 29 races correctly. 

That's it from here on the election. And now we wait and see what 2020 will bring. 


No comments:

Post a Comment