Sunday, November 4, 2018

Halloween 2018

I'm a few days late on our Halloween blog, but as Calib and Peyton get older, Halloween means less and less around here. But, Hayden still wanted to carve a pumpkin and trick or treat.  The library was having carving with power tools for anyone over 9, so we got Hayden a pumpkin and headed over there. 


He drilled a couple holes in the top, which made it easier to carve around the top with one of those little pumpkin knives, and then he scooped out most of it, and I finished it off to make sure it was super cleaned out. 


He traced a face and carved that out. 


And we ended up with a carved out pumpkin! 


I really dislike the whole pumpkin carving thing. Especially in Florida. The whole thing is a messy ordeal, and then it lasts like three days before it's melting on your front porch. You know, because it's still 80 degrees. So shout out to the Land O Lakes Library for incurring the mess and having plenty of paint, decorations, and carving tools for kids (and adults) of all ages. 


Calib then decided he too wanted to carve a pumpkin, so I picked him up one at Publix and he 'carved' it while Asa and I were out an about. He had an opsie though, and ended up reverse engineering a pumpkin face. I'm not sure what exactly happened. But, whatever, he enjoyed it. 


Oh, and at least this year those melty pumpkins went in our compost bin. Should be good compost for the plants. Speaking of which, we planted some lettuce, kale, spinach and onion (you know, Florida winter crops). But our banana tree has finally sprouted some bananas! We've actually had some cooler nights, so hopefully it doesn't stunt their growth. 


Hayden had all these big elaborate Anime inspired costume ideas. And I was like 'what if I just made you something on the cheap... like out of boxes?' He seemed fine with it, but once we started looking at ideas he got really excited about it. We thought about a cereal box, and a vending machine- but he settled on being a claw machine. You know those ones that suck your money because you're so sure you can nab that cheap stuffed animal made in China if you just had one *more* try. 

So, I took one box and exacto knife-d out three sides for the 'windows'. Then I made some duct tape suspenders, and taped it to the bottom that had a Hayden shaped hole cut out- while I kept fitting Hayden in it the whole time. When we had that right, we added in the bottom box- with a Hayden sized hole cut out for his body and his legs. 


Then I covered it with a couple rolls of red wrapping paper from the dollar store. Foil worked to wrap around the windows, and we got some silver wrapping paper for the mirror that's usually in the back of these machines. I just kind of worked my way around and finished off the edges with black duct tape to hold everything together. 


For the claw I got a pack of headbands at the dollar store and wrapped those in foil. Then, I grabbed some mesh string stuff they had with the Christmas stuff again at the dollar store (see my theme).  Then I just tied the foiled headbands together and stapled the string to the top. 


Hayden and I decided we should make the coin insert into a candy insert. So I used one of my old Fiber 1 breakfast bar boxes and secured it with staples before folding the edge over the edge of the claw costume and taping it in. It was actually very secure. 


We also added the top of a pop bottle as the joystick part. I had Hayden try it on again before we put on the finishing touches. 


Basically just a few decorations here and there. Once he was in it, we could fill stuffed animals. 


On Halloween we had a big delivery of candy. 


But, it wasn't for us- it was for my mom's AMATYC conference. We've gotten to go to some cool places because of AMATYC. Peyton and I stopped by in Nashville on our way to see Peyton Manning play, then we all drove over to New Orleans for the weekend, then Peyton, Calib and I flew out to Denver, and last year the three of us went to San Diego (and visited LA for a day). This year though, it's in Orlando (at Disney no less), so while we'll go over and piggy back off the hotel room for a few nights, it's not a trip across the country this year. They did need somewhere to send some candy to pass out though, so they used me. 


For our candy though, we had my little outdoor table (his name is Tobias) to lend a hand. 



Peyton and I handed out candy, while Hayden walked the neighborhood with Asa (I went for a little too). Calib walked Ellie and apparently got some candy for going as a 'dog walker'. 


In other news, we spent the last two weeks getting up super early. Calib took the SAT yesterday, so we were trying to adjust (since you have to be at the testing center a half hour away at 7:45). The dogs were not pleased with everyone getting up early. 


And my quiet morning coffee time got replaced with yelling, Madden, and Madden superbowls where everyone yelled. 


And Asa was working overtime helping with SAT Math prep, because you know I don't remember how to do any of that stuff. mx+b sounded slightly familiar though. 


Peyton and Hayden attempted to help every once in awhile, and by help I mean complain and say 'how is that math?' and 'who needs to know this' and 'when would you EVER use that'. To which I would say, "I don't know- call grandma and ask-- but be prepared for an answer that'll last 20 minutes." I'm also so helpful I would say things like 'I literally have not used that once since I completed high school math'. 


We did get some cooler days here. I think we've been able to leave the doors open all day like three or four times so far, and that's pretty exciting! 


Asa and I did make it back out to MOD Pizza one day for the 'Kevin'. 


We didn't win the Mega Millions jackpot, even though Calib was sure he would. (In fact, we didn't even match a number). 


But, Bissle couldn't fix the spot both so they just sent us a new one, so that's kind of like winning the lottery, right? Or it's like we had a warranty on it. 



Peyton's been going to all these gaming things. Some are close enough to home we can go drop him off. But some are over in Saint Pete or Clearwater, so we go over, drop him off and kill a few hours. Asa and I hadn't been down to the Saint Pete waterfront area in years, so we decided to check it out. Turns out this place called the Locale Market is pretty awesome. It's like a specialty grocery store, and a food court- but like if food court food was good. We were there for dinner, so we decided on tacos and a burger- and it was all awesome. 




 After some coffee we walked around and ended up at this cute little place called the Wooden Rooster who serves crepes. It seemed like the perfect dessert. 



And then we wandered down by the water and had a nice after dinner, shopping and dessert stroll. 


Talking about killing time, yesterday was a big one of those days. We dropped Calib off for his SAT at 7:45, then we headed over to Panera for breakfast. Between a coupon and a remaining giftcard, we got the whole thing for free. 


We decided just to stay out while he took the SAT, so we did breakfast and ran errands. Asa even accompanied me to help find baby quilt material- because baby Layla is due in like two weeks and I haven't made the quilt yet! It's going to be my project for the week. 


Calib was over in Wesley Chapel by Wiregrass, so we killed some time in shops and bookstores. But, it was a Fresh Market weekend so we also got to nose around there. 



And then we played some outdoor chess, and Asa killed me in like six moves. 


We picked up Calib, who was starving at this point, so we took him to lunch at PDQ (We had a couple of coupons for BOGO meals so it was perfect. 


We were home for a couple hours before we had to run Peyton over in the other direction to his Gamers on the Edge All-Night charity event. 


After dropping him off, we went back into Tampa and stopped at Trader Joes. They have all the good fall stuff in right now! And, it was time to load up on the fried rice. 


Asa was starving, and I said as much as I hated to eat out again (since we had all day), we could stop at Greenland Grill for some Gyros. 


Calib and Hayden still needed to eat though, so we called and offered to pick them up at Hot N Ready on the way home. I always complain they never have any of the $5 pizzas available. Like, it's a total scam. They advertise them, but then they're like 'oh, we don't have any of those- but we do have an $8 pizza'. Anyway, this time they actually had the $5 one! 


We had to go to bed early though, because Peyton's all nighter went until 8- but we would have to get up at 6ish to get up, and drive over to get him. They did stream the whole event online though, so we could check in on Peyton and see him playing in tournaments which is pretty cool. I don't think you can really see it in this picture- but Peyton is in the right hand corner of Asa's screen playing games. 


We picked him up this morning, and he had won a couple of the raffle items. 


Peyton is currently in bed, and we're having some tacos and watching some football and just relaxing. 


It's going to be a busy-ish week for us. We have some appointments, Tuesday we're celebrating the midterms (with food, games, prizes, and voting!) but Peyton and Hayden also have Anime Club, then Wednesday we'll be celebrating our House Anniversary, and Friday I'm headed to Ohio, basically justt to get my moms car to drive it down here for her- and to bring some more stuff from my grandmas down here. The plan is to get back late Saturday night, Sunday mom mom will be here, and then Monday we're off to Disney. 

I'll leave you with cute Waterstraut animal sightings (including the hamster, Moresby- he doesn't photograph all that well, but he's pretty cool). 



Next Up: Mid-terms! 



No comments:

Post a Comment