Friday, July 5, 2019

Happy 17th Birthday, Peyton!

Working my way through the backlog of blogs I have to write in what has been a very busy week. And we've arrived at Peyton's 17th Birthday! Can you believe it? I mean, I can, I've been here for the last 17 years. It seems pretty accurate. But, it's kind of weird as my kids move from kids to legal adults. Just 366 days until kid #2 turns 18. For years, I thought 'man, this teenager thing isn't so bad'. And then I thought, maybe I should reserve judgement. Maybe I'm not to the bad part yet. But, I gotta say as Calib and Peyton are nearing the end of the tunnel, my teenagers have been pretty great. I mean, Hayden's a newly minted teen, so we'll see how that goes. But, anyway. Asa and I have good kids (I mean, loud kids- they are Asa's after all- but good kids nonetheless). 

Peyton had his moments. He was my problem child for quite a few years. He openly admits this. But, years of charts and rewards and everything else yielded us a pretty awesome person to contribute to the world. I mean the worst thing he does these days is play too many video games (again, Asa's kid) and stay up too late. Just last night, he stayed up till like 4 AM... which, holy geez kid. Except, he did so to finish his computers class 3 weeks early, with an A, I might add. Which he did because Asa promised he'd watch a certain Anime with him if he got an A, and even more of the Anime if he finished early. So, you know, I guess I can't get too mad about it. Anyway, we went to CEO for his big birthday gift. But you can't just not do anything ON your actual birthday. 


Actually his birthday started Friday morning when we went to CEO and lasted through his birthday night on Tuesday (and into Wednesday morning), because on Monday we had to have his birthday dinner. Anime Club at the library is the first Tuesday of every month, and Peyton did not want to miss Anime Club (plus it was ice cream social night!) plus Calib had to work on Tuesday night, so we had Peyton's birthday dinner on Monday night. 

He requested NFL pizzas- but I suggested we do them on Naan Bread instead. This is like the greatest thing ever you guys. It's so much cheaper than the Boboli crusts, especially now that Costco sells the giant packs of them. Plus, they're smaller so you can make more and have more variety. They've become a go-to for us for a quick lunch or dinner when we don't know what to have but have lots of leftovers laying around. At Peyton's request we had the Kansas City BBQ pizza, the Tennessee Mashed Potatoes and fried chicken pizza, the Denver Broncos Pesto Steak (and half chicken for those who weren't into the steak) pizza, the Tampa Bay Cuban Pizza, and for good measure a peanut butter and jelly pizza. Sadly, we are now out of mom's homemade strawberry jam though, and that's the best on the PB&Js. 


I also asked him if he wanted his cake Monday or Tuesday, since he was going to have the ice cream party at Anime Club. He said he wanted it Monday night so I ran over to Publix for his favorite: the chantilly cake, and was able to nab the very last one in the case. 


Now, he argued we didn't have to sing Happy Birthday to him. I argued he was allowed to make that decision when he was 18, just like Calib. Because I don't want to be the asshole who doesn't sing Happy Birthday to my kid. He tried to get Asa on his side, but they were both outnumbered as Calib and Hayden started singing... very loudly and out of tune I might add. 


We do this thing for everyone's birthday, that we've done for years, where we all run shouting Happy Birthday at midnight. I tried to take a picture of everyone going into the office to scream at Peyton, but it didn't turn out that well.

The next morning I noticed a bit more cake was gone, and not like someone cut a nice slice. No, more like a certain 17 year old just took a fork to it. 


Since going to CEO, and his competitors pass was his present, he didn't have much to open on his birthday. But, I again, couldn't let him go without anything. 


So, I got him some of his favorite snacks and candy (including the big Warheads tube), and we bought him a shirt from CEO. 


Calib, Peyton, Asa, and I are all signed up for various emails for food coupons and we had all gotten one for a $5 3 piece meal at PDQ. But then Peyton got one for any free combo for his birthday. So he ordered a five piece for free, and the rest of us used the coupons. It was a cheap birthday lunch. 


We stopped by the mall on the way back to the library to drop Hayden off for Anime Drawing Club (which takes place two hours before Anime Club). Peyton had gotten some money for his birthday and wanted to go to the Pop Cult store. He did decide not to spend his money yet though. I was partial to the Patti Mayonnaise Funko Pop, though. 


After Hayden did his thing at Anime Drawing Club, I took Peyton back for Anime Club. Asa picked them both up and I prepared a blanket fort charcuterie, per Peyton's birthday request. We had a late lunch, plus he had ice cream so he wasn't hungry for a full dinner. 


Spiderman Far from home also came out on Peyton's birthday, and while he usually isn't a movie theater guy, he really wanted to go. I let the boys all go off to that one while I stayed home. I wasn't that interested, and we had the Costco pack of tickets that come in four packs away. With Calib and Asa both working though they had to go to the 10:45 show. But Peyton loved it and had an overall excellent birthday. It wasn't his 9th birthday in Alaska, or his 15th in Hawaii. But all in all, not too shabby. 


Next Up: The 8th Annual Waterstraut Olympics (and some Disney Fireworks too!) 



No comments:

Post a Comment