Monday, July 8, 2019

The 8th Annual Waterstraut Olympics

I'm back to finish up the string of blogs for everything we've had going on here as of late. Some of you may be familiar with our Fourth of July tradition: The WATERstraut Olympics. We started the Waterstraut Olympics way back in 2012, I think mainly because I wanted to do something special since the year before we were in Alaska for the fourth of July. Plus, you know, it's fun to start new traditions. We've held the Waterstraut Olympics every Fourth of July since 2012, with the exception of 2017 (we were in Hawaii that July 4th) so it had to be postponed until we got back. 


A couple days before I always find some tshirts to freeze in a block of ice. This time I took a bunch of old tshirts of Asa's, and all the same size so everyone would be on an even playing field. You just fold them up, put them in ziplock bags, then fill up the ziplocks and freeze them. 

I also made the medals. Both the printed out ones- and the candy medals. I just tape the candy to some yarn. This year we got to use Sour Patch Kids as the Gold medal again since nobody has braces right now. The Hershey's were the Silver, and the Big Cups were the Bronze. 


The candy medals are cool and all. The boys really like them, but upon request I always make 'medals' for "the one event that matters" (as the boys say): The Frozen Tshirt Contest. Yes, my teenagers tell me I 'HAVE TO' make these printed out laminated medals. While other events come and go, the Frozen T-shirt Contest remains the constant. The last event in a string of events, and the one the boys trash talk each other about for days leading up to the event. 


This year I decided to include the past winners of the Frozen T-shirt Contest on our banner. 


For the inaugural contest back in 2012, Hayden was the winner. He went back to back and won the gold medal again in 2013. He hasn't won since. Calib and Peyton claim their should be an asterisks next to those wins because he had a smaller tshirt those years. I claim it was an equalizer since he was only 6 and 7. 



Peyton reclaimed his crown in 2017 in the delayed Olympics, and the first Olympics in our house. He now had the claim to the most gold medals in the Frozen T-shirt Contest. 

And last year,  Calib took home the gold, evening the playing field a bit, but still leaving Peyton one gold ahead. 

Wednesday I decided I was going to put everything together so not only did I make the medals and such, I gathered my supplies for the events as well. I stopped by 5 below to get some fun things. Spoiler alert the limbo did not work at all, totally not worth it. But the pong floats were fun. 


After setting up lots of things in the yard, I also set up the medal stand- and then we were good to go. 

The third of July we always used to go to Disney to see their fireworks. Of course, it's Disney so there are fireworks everynight. But, their Fourth of July ones are awesome, and as a bonus they usually do them on the third (I think as sort of a test run). We've always liked going on the third because historically the crowds have been lower, the fireworks are the same, and you for the most part avoid being out late on the fourth of july. The boys, as they have gotten older, just don't care that much about fireworks. Calib had to work, and Peyton and Hayden took a hard pass on driving in rush hour traffic after Asa got out of work just to watch the fireworks. So, Asa and I decided to go all on our own, a new thing I'm totally embracing these days. I figure it's kind of like our dating/before kids period now. We did things a little backwards, but now we can go on dates whenever we want, basically wherever we want. So, that's cool. And the boys tag along sometimes, so that's cool too. 

Anyway, I nabbed some last minute dining reservations at the California Grill. There's a couple ways to see the Magic Kingdom Fireworks without going into the park (which is good- because we're blacked out until my birthday weekend). Historically we've watched them from the Polynesian beach. So I thought we'd eat an appetizer (and park) at the Contemporary and then monorail hop around, doing the monorail progressive dinner (where you stop and eat at all three monorail resort hotels), and finish back up where we parked at the Contemporary before heading home. I figured wheverever we happened to be when the fireworks went off, we'd be able to see them. We were just hugging the perimeter of Bay Lake. 

But we hadn't been to Disney for the Fireworks in a few years. It was more crowded than I remembered. It took us 20 minutes to find a parking spot and another 15 minutes of waiting in line to check in at the California Grill. Whatever, we were on an adventure, I thought. (It's a new thing I'm trying out). 


California Grill is pricey, but delicious. We were still on the progressive dinner idea. So we decided to go with the charcuterie board. The food at California Grill changes all the time, depending on what's in season. So, while the meal just lists and assortment of meats and accompaniments, when they bring the board to you, they also bring a list of what's on the board so you know what your having. It was all good, but the pickles were super yummy. 


Asa and I really enjoyed it! Two thumbs up, highly recommend. 


And you can't beat the view from the top of the Contemporary either. Gosh, I love Disney. 


Here's where we went wrong though- the monorail progressive dinner on this particular night was a terrible idea. It was packed everywhere we went. Sure, in years past it was busy. But it wasn't crazy. I mean, you could find a spot on the beach with a few minutes to spare. Sometimes we'd even crash the pool (back in the days when you could do that) and the boys would swim and then come play in the sand when it was Fireworks time. But this, this was crazy. We had to wait for two monorails to get around to the Polynesian- nearly 20 minutes. And even then the monorail was PACKED. Like standing room only breathe in kind of packed. We were stopped for awhile at the TTC and decided to hop off and walk the rest of the way to the Polynesian because it would be faster. 


When we got there the beach was PACKED. Like person to person. And the beach is now at least about  five times bigger than it was back a couple of years ago. We found a spot on the edge of all the people, but we didn't have a view of the castle. Instead we were behind all the new-ish bungalows. No worries. I mean, the fireworks for the most part are pretty high in the air. And, I feel like I had a good view. But I was just not expecting it to be like this. Still, Disney holiday fireworks are some of the best I've ever seen, and it is always, always, always worth the trip. 


But then we had to abandon our idea of eating anywhere else. Lines for any sort of food were crazy long (even Dole Whips), and it was a two hour wait for Trader Sams. There were so many people at the Polynesian's main lobby it was like being in the Magic Kingdom during Christmas time. We ended up just getting back on the monorail (which again was a long wait and standing room only) to get back to the Contemporary. We stopped at got food on the way home. And said if we decided to do this again we'd not go around the monorail, and maybe get reservations just at the Polynesian, and earlier to stake out our spot. I need to set a google reminder to make dining reservations 180 days out. 


For the 4th we decided we'd do a bar (ala football season), but I thought I'd try and do something a little different for lunch and dinner- with some of the same stuff remaining. For lunch we had a tater tot bar. 

Because what's more American than topping your tater tots like nachos? Also, the boys LOVE a good tater tot bar. 


Hayden helped me with the last minute preparations for the Olympics. 


And then it was time for the first event: Bucket Ball. It's basically beer pong, without the beer. Hayden and I faced off in the first match, and he narrowly beat me. 


Calib took Peyton down in the second match. 


This year I put out our beach tent for shade to watch the events. But really it was pretty cloudy and we didn't need it all that much. 


Peyton and I then played in the Bronze medal match and  I smoked him. 


And Calib beat Hayden to take home the gold medal. 


Meanwhile, we were hearing rolling thunder and thought we better get a move on if we wanted to beat the summer afternoon storms. (Porkchop and Etta were quite nervous about the thunder- but refused to go inside while the rest of us were outside.) 


Dipper, meanwhile, had hopes of winning a gold. 


Anyway, here's the medal ceremony for bucket ball 2019. 


Next up the boys had to fill their measuring cups by  sliding across the tarp and breaking water balloons. 


Calib was close to Hayden, but knocked his over at one point and fell behind. Peyton, meanwhile, didn't commit of he could have been the winner. He was not thrilled with the sprinkler being on during the event. 


The medalists for the water balloons. 


There's usually an obstacle course involved as well. This time they had to break two water balloons that were pitched to them... 


Before landing some ping pong balls in the floating triangle in the baby pool. 


And then fish out the letters to the word 'WINNER' and string them on the garden stake. 



The fastest time would be the winner, Peyton went first and Hayden narrowly edged him out. 


But then came competitive Calib, who crushed the competition and the racket. 


The obstacle course winners. 


We also did pool noodle frisbee races. Basically you had to run the course without losing your frisbee on top of your pool noodle (there was a line they were required to hold the noodle below). Peyton killed his brothers in the first round- balance is kind of his thing. 


So we played a second round because the silver medal was a bit iffy during the first round. Calib came around the corner and crossed the finish line first. 


Our pool noodle medalists. 


And then it was time for the main event: the frozen t-shirt contest. This time I let them all pick whichever shirt they wanted, instead of giving them their own, since they were all the same size. 


We were worried about the weather holding out, and I did at one point suggest we do the frozen tshirt contest first just in case, because you can't really have a rain delay DURING the contest. But the boys insisted it had to go last. I mean, they do use all the buckets and pools and water in the backyard from the other events, so I guess it makes sense. Luckily, the rain held out for us and they all went to town trying to freeze their shirt from the ice. 


Meanwhile, I made myself a drink, got out my Bronze medal for a snack and watched from the comfort of the beach tent. 


They work hard pulling it apart, all trying to be the first one to put it on. I suggested this year Asa should be able to play for a medal, but they all got pretty angry about that idea. 


Especially since every single year, Asa gets his tshirt on first. 


This year was actually really, really close after that though. They were all pulling about their tshirts to put them on at the same time. 


Calib, however, was slightly ahead. 


And he was victorious. Let me tell you, they get real amped about winning this thing. It's one of those things, I think, "when are they going to out grow this?" But, the answer still remains: not yet. 


Hayden put his on next- but I'm telling you all three of them could have put their shirts on within 60 seconds. 



Peyton, quickly realizing he had the bronze, removed the shirt he had going over his head and claimed it was way too cold, and he wasn't going to wear it for the bronze (so Calib put it on- and claimed he was the double winner).


And here are your 2019 Frozen Tshirt Contest medalists. 


And Asa, for good measure. 


I added Calib to the list of winners. He's tied with Peyton now, with three gold medals a piece. 


After the Olympics we usually stay in the backyard to play in all the baby pools and hang out. Peyton went in to shower and work on his Biology homework- he finished his class last night with a high B (three weeks early), but might go back to do some extra credit later and see if he can get that A. Either way, good for him. 


But the four of us hung out in the pool. 


Phenom was the only dog we could convince to get in the pool with us. 


And then we made up games with the floating pong float and trying to knock down pool noodle towers with ping pong balls. 


Later, Asa went fishing for Haydens. 


After a couple hours in the backyard (it actually only stormed around 7 and then it was done), we refreshed the bar and turned it into a hot dog bar instead of a tater tot bar. 


Then, the fireworks started, and poor Etta tried hiding anywhere she could. Poor thing is terrified of fireworks. 


Asa and I decided we were going to go on an evening bike ride to check out the fireworks in the neighborhood. 


Turns out there's not a ton in our neighborhood, but we took the bike trail over to Connerton and there were people setting them off everywhere down there. You couldn't even make your way around the park, because everyone was setting them off in the streets. 


When we made our way home we went outside and did a few Sparklers. Because you have to do Sparklers on the Fourth of July (and then you have to save a few for my birthday!) 


This weekend we decided needed to be pretty chill. We've been super busy as of late. I mean, in June our weekends were Calib's birthday with my mom visiting, then Universal with the Sattlers, followed by our Anniversary Weekend at Disney, followed by Asa's on call week/Hobbit Day/Blanket Fort build day, followed by our weekend in Daytona for CEO (and then it was Peyton's birthday and then the 4th). So, like, I just needed a minute. Saturday morning Asa and I finally got to do one of our bike rides. 


And then there was some blanket fort hangout time. 


Saturday night Calib was working, but Peyton convinced us we needed to go out to summer of shakes since we hadn't been yet (I, myself, prefer all you can swirl). But it was also Ellie's birthday, so I obliged. 


And I mean, she got her very own pup cup of whipped cream, so she was happy. 


Yesterday I made everyone Naan bread pizza for lunch, which they all love- and then we had an ice cream sundae bar. 


Asa and I also started working on our Up puzzle we got on our anniversary trip. 


And the five of us all chipped in and got Mario Kart Deluxe for the Switch. It came yesterday, so we've all been playing in the fort and unlocking stuff. 


I wanted to get into a theme week for Hayden this week, but I haven't had the time to plan one. Plus, I'm waiting on some printer ink (It won't print at all-even in black and white- even though it's the yellow that's out). So instead we're working on our positivity this week. Hayden's jar contains $7 (a dollar a day) in the form of 30 dimes, 8 quarters, 2 half-dollars and 1 William Henry Harrison Buck. 

Every time he is negative he has to give me one coin, of his choosing, out of the jar. Obviously he'll start with the dimes- but the more he's negative the closer he will get to having to give me quarters or half dollars or even the dollar. Whatever he has left at the end of the week, he gets to keep. 


I'm happy to have sort of a normal week going on here. Well, sort of. There are a lot of errands to run the first part of this week. Calib had to go get his passport picture taken this morning (he's hoping to be able to piggyback off the December trip to Italy with Uncle Clint, Aunt Jess and grandma- but he came a little late to that party, so we'll see if it works out). Peyton's going to get his too, but he's not going on his trip until April, so he has some time. 

But, Peyton and Calib also have their volunteering today. For some reason for their Biology class they have to have four volunteer hours. That's fine, but it wasn't allowed to be somewhere they already volunteer-- so the library and the shelter were both out. That was the part I had an issue with, because we had to find somewhere for them to volunteer that didn't involve training and all this stuff that would take weeks (the course itself is only six weeks!) So, they're stocking shelves at some food pantry in Tampa today. 

And tomorrow is Ellie and Porkchop's check up. Plus Hayden has library events Tuesday and Thursday this week- and I can't even pawn off taking him to Calib because Calib works both nights. Boo. 

But, even with all of that, it is a normal week.

It was rainy this morning, so I decided I could put on my rain jacket and take Ellie on the whole loop- instead of just the Blue Spring Drive loop. I tried to take a picture with her, but I realized every time I said her name to have her look at the camera, she thought I was pointing out a lizard to her (something I do frequently- she LOVES lizard hunting). 

Speaking of dogs, Calib wanted me to cut his hair, so we traded off hair cutting for dog washing. 


Phenom kind of ruined it with climbing in the baby pool and then running around in the dirt a few days later, but what can you do. 


Ellie and Etta have been playing with their rope together more. Ellie will run and get it now too. 


But, they are still my couch dogs as well. 


In other animal news, I found a couple of frogs when I was mowing the lawn. Luckily they hopped to safety. And, we had a little spectator when we were doing sparklers. 

All the rain has made the cranes pretty happy too. They're always out after the rain trying to eat up the bugs. I'm happy to have them as my natural pesticides. 


That is it from here. I am all blog caught up. I've got some fort keeping to do (you know, instead of housekeeping we call straightening the fort 'fort keeping') and the dryer just buzzed, plus Hayden asked me like two hours ago if I wanted to play Mario Kart with him, so I've got things to do. 

Next Up: One summer tradition remains: The Waterstraut All Nighter (yup, the kids still ask for this one too!) 


No comments:

Post a Comment