Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Social Distancing Journal, Days 363 thru 366: One Year of Quarantine

 Shockingly enough, I'm behind on blogs. You'd think with all this quarantine free time I'd be ahead of the game. But, just because you have time, doesn't mean you fill time. But today, it's time to start chipping away and getting caught up. 

Day 363: Thursday, March 11

As we approached one year, Asa and I headed out to Costco. It was the first time we had been IN the store since November. Our favorite cashier was like 'where have you guys been?' Because, that's who we are. We have favorite cashiers. 

Anyway, we also grabbed a Blaze pizza for lunch and ate it at one of the socially distanced picnic tables out along Aussie Grill and Walkons. I hope they don't get rid of those, I love them there. 


It was also warming up, which is lovely to see (especially when it's warm but the humidity is still low!) 


But of course, March 11 was the one year anniversary of shit hitting the fan. It's when WHO declared Covid-19 a global pandemic, the NBA stopped *right before* a game, and we found out Tom Hanks had Covid. So, eventful day for sure. 



We decided over our one year in quarantine weekend, we'd do all our favorite quarantine things. We grilled out, and had the very delicious greek chicken for dinner. 


We did get good news that day. POTUS announced he was directing all states to make all adults elgible for the vaccine by May 1st. He recently moved up that timeline to April 19th. But, Florida opened it all up on Monday April 5. (Spoiler: we're hoping to get ours this weekend!!!!) 


Still, it was exciting news! 




It was also the day the Covid Relief bill was signed into law. We're*still* waiting on that stimulus here, though. 


Still, thank God for Georgia. Amiright? 



Oh, and as a reminder: this little gem also turned one year old on March 11. 

 Day 364: Friday, March 12

Friday marked one year since Disney announced they were closing. I feel like I shouldn't have gone, but I still kind of wish I did. I miss pre-Pandemic Disney. But hey, at least I live on this coast, Disneyland has been closed a whole year. 


Ellie and I headed out on our morning stroll.


And we did some yard work. 



This is as far as 10 bags of mulch got me. I'm going to need a lot more (I said, nearly a month ago- and I still haven't picked up anymore.) 


We weren't able to get our hands on all the plants we wanted though, so we did have to do some from seed. 


And Hayden and I worked a little on our mural. It's going to take us a minute. 


We also swung by crumbl for some cookies, and Panera for iced coffee. All curbside, or course. Another favorite Pandemic activity. 



We also did curbside at Publix and got a bunch of mini pies for Pi Day. 


And for dinner, Hayden made Mac & Cheese


to go with Asa's grilled broccoli and steak, and my fruit salad. We did discover how much we love grilling out over the last year. 


Delano, also, apparently loves bananas. 


And of course, another thing we enjoy: evening walks around the neighborhood. 



I still can't figure out how someone got this giant cactus to grow here. 


 Day 365: Saturday, March 13

So that's it. Day THREE HUNDRED. AND SIXTY-FIVE. 



It sure was a long "15 days to stop the spread", right guys? Look, I know we could have lived differently over the last year. But, I'd rather spend a ton more time at home with my healthy family than take the risks. Just, nothing seemed worth it to me, or anyone else here. There was nothing we had to do so much that if we caught it, we'd be ok with having gotten it there. So the fact that we've stayed healthy, and happy- albeit a bit bored- I consider that a pretty big win. 

And it hasn't all been bad. The thing is for us, this was like a total reset. I used to want everything to be some big grand event. And now I'm like, hey, lets drive somewhere and talk a walk. Like, that's a cool outing for me now. I appreciate things so much more now. Not just what I can't do- or haven't done- but for what I can do. Walks are nice. Grilling out is nice. Puzzles are fun. Petting the dogs is relaxing. My hammock is lovely. Disney Plus is amazing. Picnic Bike rides are a weekend highlight. 

I'm grateful for things I maybe wasn't as grateful for as I should have been, pre-pandemic. Home for one. Any other house I've ever lived in would have been harder to appreciate during the Pandemic. The fact that I own this place, and could do projects and not have to worry about a landlord- just little things like that. Plus, I like the people I live with. So that helps. 

And I also don't really feel the need to rush anything anymore. All I've got is time. I don't have to go from one activity to the next. It's ok to just be chill. And I got more time with Calib and Peyton. You think they would have spent so much time at home if it wasn't a Pandemic? Not a chance. Calib likely would have been off to school in January, and instead he's been applying for the fall. 

Of course I miss things, of course some days have been more challenging than others, of course I've grown frustrated with society in general. But, it's also helped me take control of my anxiety a little bit better, and vocalize how I'm feeling and what I need. 

And we're lucky. We didn't lose anyone very close to us. We never got Covid. We ended up with three stimulus checks- which we didn't need, but were helpful. We got to spend a lot a time with my mom, we wouldn't have otherwise. So you know, there's surely been some bright spots. 

To celebrate all of that, we got uber eats breakfast delivered. It's sort of like room service. 


Asa got some tacos, and I got lemon curd ricotta pancakes. 


And we made our own mimosas. 


Look at poor Etta, she's distraught over 365 days in quarantine (actually, she loves it. I'm worried how she'll be when we do start leaving the house again). 


We continued on our day with some favorites: Moving Out! 


And sidewalk chalk. Remember when that was all the rage, guys? 


We drew all of our favorite quarantine things. 

(We came back to take pictures of it later when the sun was more conducive for picture-taking)

Of course, you can't do all your favorite quarantine things and not do a puzzle! 


And when we took a walk, we spotted our first baby cranes of the season (look close, they're there, I swear!) 



We also did at home hair cuts. 


And Asa made us Five Guys for Dinner. 


He took everyone's orders


and even served them in the brown paper bags. 


So back to the sidewalk chalk.... 


Featuring all our favorite quarantine-y things

This was all my fun stuff over the last year. 


Haydens... 


And Asa's. Fun story about this one: the sidewalk chalk was there for no joke, two weeks. It just never rained. Now, I don't want to infringe on anyone's privacy, but someone in my neighborhood is related to a former Bucs player (who was not on the Super Bowl Winning Team). That player was visiting, and went for a walk-- walking right over this art, and we felt a little bad about it. 



Day 366: Sunday, March 14

March 14, 2020 was our first day of quarantine. We'd come full circle. What a year this last March has been. 

So we did some more puzzle..



And took our Sunday bike ride. Lots of gators were out! 




We hadn't been through the tunnel in awhile, so we did that. 


And checked for Higgins, the cow, but he was nowhere to be found. 


We also packed ourselves a little picnic lunch and stopped along the way. 


Back home, Calib was making a mess. Like, how hard is it to dump cereal man? 


And you can't do all your favorite quarantine things without having coffee and watching Hamilton on Disney Plus. 


For dinner we had all kinds of fun things. We ordered some soft pretzles on uber eats. 


And made some mini corn dogs, toasted ravioli, mozzerella sticks, and spring rolls. 


Plus, our Pi Day Pies, and some Blintzes (ok, this was sort of an excuse to start clearning out the freezer)


And for good measure, lots of fruit and a little fondu. 


and Charcuterie, of course. 


The boys were pretty pleased with the spread. 


It was also Selection Sunday, so we watched that. Because last year we didn't even get March Madness. This year it was in some sort of modified bubble all over the state of Indiana, instead of everyone traveling. But, who cares. At this point, you take what you can get! 


And of course, to round out the day we played some board games. So, all in all, a pretty good weekend!


So that's what a year in quarantine under our belt feels like. We had our fingers crossed at this point we'd be getting the vaccine before day 400, and that looks like it might be happening!


No comments:

Post a Comment