Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Social Distancing Journal, Days 367 thru 375

 Day 367: Monday, March 15

Usually, Asa has the crazy ideas. But on the 367th day of quarantine, it was me with the off the wall solutions. 

Context: Asa and I have a very large shower. Floor to ceiling white tile. And it's impossible to get clean. 

So, I say to Hayden: "Hayden, I have a really dad like idea" 

And Hayden replies "Oh no, what is it?" 

Me: "I think if we took the screen out of the bathroom window, we could get the power washer into my shower and finally get it clean."

Hayden "You'll get soaked" 

Me: "I'll wear my swimsuit."

Hayden "You could spray yourself in the eyes." 

Me: "Safety googles."

Hayden "You're going to slip" 

Me: "I've got water shoes." 

Hayden: *sigh* "Ok".





It was a pretty big success if I do say so myself. 


 Day 368: Tuesday, March 16

Ellie and I came across a turtle crossing the road on our morning walk. 


And a baby gator. 


And some sticks outside someone's trash. I took a picture to see if Asa wanted them for firewood. 


When the trash still hadn't been picked up for our lunch walk around the loop, we brought the wood home. Hayden told us we were weird for "digging through other people's trash". 


On this evenings walk, 'stick bundle guy' was putting even more out at the curb. So naturally, Asa made friends with 'stick bundle guy' and was given the remaining wood. (Stick bundle guy' was thrilled he wasn't actually throwing it away and it would go to use!) 
And that's the silver lining on the fact that the trash wasn't even collected until the next morning. And how we made friends with 'stick bundle guy'.  He waves at us on all our walks now. 


Day 369: Wednesday, March 17

Saint Patricks Day- and we're not really corned beef and cabbage people. 

But it was yummy! 


Day 370: Thursday March 18

Somewhere around this time I screwed up my back. Possibly from carrying those sticks. Possibly as a period side effect. Possibly from stress. Possibly because I'm old. Either way, still recovering nearly a month later. 

I tell you this, because I had a bit of an opsie. I went out to the garage to find something in the freezer. The freezer, which needs defrosting (which I actually was able to do recently), needed something on top of it to close. And along the way, I had gotten a big bottle of liquid laundry detergent, and we'd been using that to help keep the lid down. 

So, with my back, when I moved the bottle it fell to the floor, and I thought, I shouldn't pick that up. Upon first check all appeared fine with the bottle. I went digging through the freezer for whatever I was looking for, and then turned my attention back to the bottle which had begun leaking ALL OVER the garage floor, underneath the Fit, and basically everywhere. 

So, I had to call in help. Except, cleaning up laundry detergent isn't all that easy. But Asa got Hayden and Peyton on board, and they all went out to fix my opsie. 


Peyton, always on his phone, helped too. 


That day was also our Florida Anniversary- we moved to Florida 15 years ago! Usually we'd celebrate with some big fun Florida thing. But, celebrations these days are pretty limited to dinner. We ended up getting Publix subs. 


Still, 15 years. Man, when I first moved here, Florida took a long while to feel like home. But now, I can't imagine living anywhere else. I love it here so much. Even the heat, even the humidity, it's all worth it. I get a Disney pass, easy access to the beach, lots of good swimming weather, and no seasonal affective disorder. Plus, it's just home. 


Porkchop was happy to have a little chicken off my sub. And then I took this hilarious picture. 


There's Hayden out enjoying the fact he's a Florida kid. 

Day 371: Friday, March 19

Starting the day with a cute Phenom and Porkchop picture. 


And then we got to watch some March Madness. There was no such thing last March, so Calib and I really soaked it in. 


We watched basically all day everyday for the first couple rounds. 


Complete with our TV channel cheat sheet



Calib was very invested. 


For dinner, Asa made us bbq chicken on the grill. 


And to celebrate Asa's 4th graduate, we had rootbeer floats! We used to celebrate with rootbeer floats every time he passed a class, and now we do it every time one of his students graduate! 


Day 372: Saturday March 20

On Saturday Asa and I had gotten us tickets to a plant sale in Dade City. It was a timed ticket, the event was outside, and masks were required, so we figured it'd be pretty safe. And, since we were the last time slot of the sale, we got all kind of plants and when we got to the checkout they were like 'looks good, $10 please!' when our total would have been much more than that. So, that was cool. 

Dade City is a tiny little place, about 45 minutes from Tampa, but it is where we first lived when we moved to Florida (life is cheaper there). So we checked out some of our old places. 


On the way home, we decided to get some take out from lunch. We haven't had Cracker Barrel in a long time, and Asa had been a little sad about it (we usually go when my mom is visiting and meet up with her friend). So I suggested since we'd be that way, we could try their take out. It was packaged well, and we were able to take it and find some picnic tables to eat it at. 


The Grove is under lots of construction, and we hadn't been over that way in a long time. But, the container park is well on it's way and there's lots of new places I'd like to try someday (in non-Pandemic times) like an Ax Throwing place and a Piano Bar! 


It was also the First Day of Spring, so I made our traditional first day of Spring dessert, dirt! 


Complete with crumbled oreos and gummy worms. 


And another Porkchop picture for you. 



Day 373: Sunday, March 21 

It was a bit cooler out, which made for some good basketball weather. 


Oh, but Illinois lost. Bracket buster for me for sure. 


Which Calib just loved to see. 


Day 374: Monday, March 22

Pretty much how we all feel most Mondays around here. 


Day 375: Tuesday March 23

Misfits delivery day! 


And lots of walks- where Hayden has made friends with- and named- all the neighborhood cats. 


We also made friends with a new 'log guy' and brought back some logs that were out with his trash. 

And that's it for now- now I'm not a month behind anymore (close, but not quite!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment