Saturday, May 15, 2021

Social Distancing Journal, Days 421 thru 424: Happy Mother's Day!

 Day 421: Saturday, May 8th

Saturday Asa and I had a plus one on our bike ride. 


Hayden doesn't come along on the long bike rides often, so this is the first time he got to go through the tunnel. 


We also let him pick the picnic spot, and he picked the middle of the round-about. 


Which actually was a very lovely, peaceful, shady picnic spot. 


Hard to see in the picture, but we even spotted a woodpecker. 


We also had a special movie afternoon snack with some soft pretzels. Asa also had a $25 off door dash coupon! 


Fun movie food!


The movie? My choice for Mother's Day weekend, and I went with an oldie but a goodie that none of the boys had seen: What About Bob!


For dinner Asa grilled steaks and broccoli and made me some garlic aoli crab cake fries!

 Day 422: Sunday, May 9th

Another Pandemic Mother's Day! But, this one we know a lot more, and most of us are fully vaccinated. So I figured if we could find something fun to do outside, that'd be perfect. Enter: Harvest Moon Farm. It's in Masarkytown, about 20 minutes north of here- and its only $10 for 16 and up- and you get to pick $10 worth of sunflowers too. 

But, before we got to the sunflower picking we made a bee line to the petting farm. We were the first visitors of the day (we got tickets for the first group of the day to ensure lower crowds and cooler temperatures). 

Hayden was the only one who really wanted to come along, and I was cool with that. I don't know why Calib and Peyton would want to miss goat petting, but it was cheaper that way. 


The goats were super chill too. They knew we had food and came over to us, some even very lightly jumped up to us. But they were all really gentle. 


So, you know, I took a bunch of goat pictures. 







Look at the baby!


We also got to feed the Llama! Scarlet was super nice about taking food. 


We all gave her a little treats and some love. 







And more goats... 



A mini horse... 


And more goats (get the hint, I love goats!) 




And to round it out: a sweet little pig! 




There were a few little fun farm things: tug of war, some games, and some saddle swings. 


But we were also there to go into the sunflower maze and pick some sunflowers. 


We did get an email to let us know they were not in full bloom (something like 20%), but we figured that'd be fine. I'm sure it's gorgeous when more are blooming. But we had a great time anyway. 


And found plenty to pick. 




Hayden even went back into the sunflower abyss to get me some. 




So, you know, we had a lovely time, and took a bunch of pictures. 


And picked a bunch of flowers. 






It was an awesome Mother's Day activity. We felt totally safe, and just put some masks on when we were around other people, which was hardly at all. 


Plus, I had flowers to brighten my room for a few days. 


Look how cute they look with all my Disney stuff! 



For lunch, I said I wanted a cereal bar, so Calib made one for me. Basically he took the cereal out of the pantry and got out the milk, but he was proud of himself. 


Asa also put out some fruit and made some cinnamon rolls, and made me a mimosa. 


So, not a bad lunch. 


I like to use the muffin tins for a cereal bar. But the boys like to use their divided microwave plates. 


We also FINALLY neared the end of the 2000 piece puzzle. 


And then we set up some games. Because everyone knows Mother's Day here is for playing all the games that have been retired because either I won too much, or everyone (but me!) hates. 


Of course their was the customary game of Lifeboats. This is a must do every Mother's Day. 


And despite all the arguing... I was the winner. 


I also picked the Bean Game (and I won!) 


And Catan (which I also won!) 


And Incan Gold (which I also won... see the trend!) 


Inbetween all the gaming, we finished the puzzle. 


This was one of my favorites, and a doozie at the same time. 


We also managed to squeeze in a couple of games of bananagrams and some (not pictured) Scattergories. 


For dinner, Asa made me Whispering Canyon Cafe. It's a Disney resturant, served family style, with all the stuff you see here: green beans, baked beans, mashed potatoes, chicken, sausage, and pork. He added on the Mac & Cheese at Calib's request, and corn casserole for me. 


It was amazing. And we had so many leftovers! 


All in all, a great Mother's Day with these guys. 


Oh, and I even got after dinner coffee with whipped cream and shaved dark chocolate while we watched the end of the Frozen II documentary which we never got around to last summer. 


 Day 423: Monday, May 10th

Asa had lots of student calls on Monday, but Hayden and I still made time to hit the pool. 


But in case you're wondering how hot it is: its THIS hot. 

(For you non-Floridians who don't know- once it gets too hot you have to not only take your sandals up to the pool so you don't burn your feet, you also have to turn them upside down so your sandals also don't get too hot). 

And then, when we got back from the pool, great news from the FDA: They authorized the vaccine for Hayden's age group! (Still waiting on the CDC here, though). 


Kaitlin Collins with the breaking news in this house. 

Which put us all on Onward, except for Hayden. He goes straight to Beautiful Day! 


Day 424: Tuesday, May 11th

Hayden and I broke out a new game: Master Mind and played that for awhile. 


But it was a little rainy and dreary, so there was some laying around. 


And then everyone was asking me what was for dinner, so I half-jokingly said 'cereal' and they were all immediately on board (since we had all that good cereal from Mother's Day). But, it went next level with the use of the relish tray for Asa's cereal. I don't think he'll ever eat cereal in another container again. 



I did spot a gator on my evening walk. 


And Peyton and Hayden played some games together to help take Peyton's mind of his impending Communications Exam. (Which he will pass with flying colors a few hours later- so he's on to his next class, and it should be easy for him: it's politics!) 






No comments:

Post a Comment