Friday, May 28, 2021

Social Distancing Journal Days 429 thru 433

 Day 429: Sunday, May 16

For a long time, things have been pretty stagnate. There's not a lot of world- or local- news to tell you about. Cases sat at about the same, vaccination rates climbed to a couple million a day and then declined, Florida kept on acting like nothing was wrong- rinse and repeat. But, these days, things are improving, so for the next bit, you'll see some tweets-some news- and some opinions in my blog. Because, the country is returning to some sense of normalcy. That's right, those 'In these unprecedented times" emails have been replaced with " As things begin to normalize, we're here for you". Legit, that's a line I've heard on the radio every time I've been out for the past week or two. 

Look, not everyone likes the idea of a return to normal. And you can easily find arguments both ways. But, since we'll be social distancing and masking up until Hayden is fully vaccinated, we can let everyone else be the guinea pigs. If people take off their masks and there isn't really an uptick in "breakthrough infections" (vaccinated people who end up with covid), cool beans. I'll be pleased. But, there are still the unvaccinated people to think about- and the partially vaccinated ones- and the kids who aren't eligible yet- and those with health issues that prevent them from building antibodies. 


I'm in this camp. Hayden isn't fully vaccinated yet- and he got his shot on the VERY FIRST DAY he was eligible. 




And this. (I live in Florida, guys. We're known for being a lawless swamp!) 


But, life goes on here. And so does Summer of Shakespeare! ICYMI, we're reading kids abridged versions of a whole bunch of classics, and after two we've been having a much more casual Finer Things Club (still, no paper, no plastic, and no work talk allowed). 


And since they're shorter books, Asa actually reads them instead of just saying he's going to read them. So, he's been coming to Finer Things Club lately. 


For dinner, he made us shrimp and grits (a Disney Food and Wine Festival recipe), per Calib's request. I'm not a huge grits fan, but this was delicious. 


And, a regal Porkchop picture for you. 


Day 430: Monday, May 17

So, whatever I think, or you think about all these restrictions being pulled back, the US is in a much better place than we've been. This numbers are encouraging. 


Still, we're at just over 30% fully vaccinated in Pasco County (just checked though- and we are up to 42% with one dose!) 


I would have preferred a more targeted approach. I liked this guy's idea. 


And look, under 2,000 cases in Florida. That's been a minute! 


Target became the latest store to drop their mask requirement. 


Back at home, we had quesadillas for dinner. 


And then went on our usual after dinner walk. 


I did find this and thought it was highly unusual. What happened to this guy? I wanted to stop and investigate, but Hayden told me I was being weird (see him walking away in the picture there). I said we should caution tape off the area and make a little lizard chalk outline, to get justice for him. But, Hayden insists he died of natural causes and kept moving. 


Day 431: Tuesday, May 18

Little signs of return to normalcy: no more zip tied open trash cans! I can get behind this. 


And plexiglass is being removed from some rides. 


I headed on over to Costco to go in for the first time since the change in mask requirements. There is a giant sign greeting you over by the carts. 


Now, as of writing this blog (on May 28th) I've been inside Costco three times. The first time, I saw maybe five people unmasked. The second time it was a weekend, and I was just running in and out and it was like half and half. Yesterday I was back in to get milk and eggs, and it was about a third. So, I think it kind of depends on when you're going. 

But, yesterday, there were a couple of families with kids Hayden's age or younger- all unmasked. And I was like, yea, I don't think that 13 year old is fully vaccinated there. Annoying. 

Still, I wore mine. I just feel more comfortable for now. BUT, I did go in all three times all by myself, and I haven't done that much during the Pandemic. 


Oh, and apparently this gas thing is still a thing? 


I did take an evening walk and spot a living lizard. 


And baby gator! 


My sunflowers from Mother's Day were looking awfully Van-Gogh, so I had to toss them. 


And I took some cute puppy pictures. All four in one day. 

Ells-a-bells. 


Moomer-Marms. 


Pork Chooopers. 


And Stinks-Maginks. 


Day 432: Wednesday, May 19

As our social distancing comes to a close, we also worked on our puzzle project. We framed 16 puzzles we did over the course of quarantine (which also means I got to put away all the other ones and take down the card table in the garage they were all piled on top of). Included in the frame is a little piece of cardstock, to denote what day of quarantine the puzzle was completed on. I actually really love the puzzle wall. 


Hayden also made everyone some brownies- his specialty. 


Day 433: Thursday, May 20

Look at cases falling! 


Which gives me a little more confidence in all the restrictions being dropped. 


I mean- Florida is all in orange and yellow, that's been FOREVER! 


Sadly, we're not in a lottery state. Ohio started a trend by giving away a million dollars every Wednesday for five weeks to people who are vaccinated. Apparently it works as an incentive, and now other states are getting on board. 


It's getting hot here. But we do have some 'cool' mornings. For real, 77 with low humidity and a breeze felt a little chilly to me on my morning walk with Ellie. 

So, we're trying to take advantage of the nice weather before the summer wet and hot- hit you in the face like a dryer with damp clothes- hits. 

So Asa and I went into Tampa, and figured we'd swing by Trader Joes while we were there. 


And then over to Alessi Bakery to get some things for a picnic lunch! 

We didn't get any Rays or Lightning cookies, but look how cute. (Also, we're rooting for the Lightning here, even though we're not really hockey people. Champa Bay needs to keep the Stanley Cup here!) 


We did pick up a canoli, a brownie, and some bread pudding. We had some of each and then brought the rest home. 


We also got a deviled crab. 


And, a 12 inch Cuban Sandwich to split. 


Not a bad spread for lunch at Al Lopez Park. 


We were joined at lunch by an agressive squirrel, and a couple of Florida Scrub Jays, as seen last week on Last Week Tonight (still coming to you from the white void- worth noting: The Daily Show is also still coming to you from home as the "Daily Social Distancing Show".) 


After lunch we packed up and went for a walk. Al Lopez is next to the stadium, and we knew they'd changed all the banners to reflect the Super Bowl win, but we hadn't been down there yet, so we decided to check it out. 


And the Team Store was open, so we stopped by. 


While chains are dropping masks, Local places seem to still be requiring them. Alessi bakery and the Team store both asked you to put them on to come in. 


This was the first time we had been in the Team Store since it was redone. 


And there is so much Super Bowl Stuff!





Some of it wildly expensive. But still cool to check out. 



And the jerseys are all still the old numbers- where your position limited the number you could wear. But, no more. 


And of course, pom poms! 


After we left the Team Store, we made our way around the stadium. 



And to the South Endzone where we couldn't go during Super Bowl week when we were last down here. 



It's just like I remember it, Bucs Beach and all. 



Though, there are still signs of the times we've just lived through. 


Lots of social distancing stickers. 


And signs. 


And even one left over from Wrestlemania. 


#NewProfilePic


Of course, there is still the Covid Vaccination site across the street from the stadium. Though, there weren't a whole lot of cars there when we walked by. 



Another blog done- not too far behind this month! 

No comments:

Post a Comment