Sunday, March 19, 2023

Happy Pi Day, 2023

I am way behind on non-garden related blogs, which I don't think I've done since February. To be fair, the garden has dominated most of my time for the last month- but we have managed to squeeze in some other stuff too. In fact, we're pretty busy people with full calendars these days But to be fair our calendars are like food trucks, and markets, and expiring tickets we need to use.

And one of those epiring tickets was the Busch Gardens free tickets Asa, Calib, and I got when we went to the Bucs game back in October. We literally were down to the last weekend to use them, so off we went to the park. Our first stop was over at the Kangaroos. My number one thing I wanted to do was feed the Kangaroos, and there's not usually a whole lot of times when that works out. Lucky for us, we arrived just before the second (and last) feeding time ended. 


Unfortunately, since it was so late in the second feeding, the kangaroos weren't all that interested in the food. They wanted the lettuce and carrots up top, but they weren't so interested in the pellets and hay at the bottom. Still, I got one willing to eat, which meant I got to pet her while she chowed down. 


We made a couple of stops at bird houses along the way as well. 


And we went to see the flamingos, which are my second favorite birds, after penguins. Third is obviously pelicans, and then we move onto ducks. 


Also, very unfortunately the wind had picked up so much all the rides were down due to wind. Literally zero roller coasters were running, so it was more of just a stop to see animals and ride things like the carousel. 


I mean, I didn't mind so much, because it was like a zoo visit. But, Calib and Asa were quite disappointed. 


Luckily on a way out we swung by guest services who were giving out rain checks! Even though our ticket was free, we were able to roll that into ANOTHER free visit! We only have 30 days to use the next free one, but we figure we can go next week when the spring break crowds clear out. 


On the way home we swung by Portillos. Asa had picked it as his place to eat after he won March Madness last year (by picking Kansas, the ultimate winner). The rule is we have to make it there before the next March Madness, so we were just squeezing it in. This was Calib's first trip there, and he loved it. 


That weekend the Auntie Anne's pretzel truck was over in Connerton, so Asa and I went over to get everyone some pretzels. The truck was scheduled to be here on a night we didn't think we'd be able to go, so we were happy it was at least over in Connerton. I decided that was a good time to break out my Strawberry Shortcake Cider from Keel Farms because life doesn't get better that that. 


Asa and I also headed into Tampa for the Gasparilla Festival of the Arts at Julian B. Lane park along the river. So many awesome tents full of artists, but we couldn't take pictures of most of it. 


We did get to take pictures of the cars though, one had chalk where you could draw on it. 


And there was a bus we got to paint, which was super fun. 


There were also a lot of cool sculptures- but one of my favorites was the metal rhino. 


We had other lunch plans, but an arepa from one of the stands was calling to us, so we split that as a little mid-morning snack. 


There's nothing I love more than a leisurely day along the river in Tampa. For real, it's one of my favorite places around here. 



Since we were down there, we did go get ourselves some of our free Tiffs Treats, too. 


We were about to head home when I got a Facebook message that we could come get some free PVC pipe (4 inch, that stuff is expensive) over in Seminole, so we headed across the bay, picked it up, and then went to PDQ to collect Asa's free birthday meal (and I had a free $10 in the app, so lunch was basically free). 


On the way back across the bridge, we stopped to enjoy some of the fresh air and sunshine. 



Sometimes, 17 years later, I still can't believe I get to live here. 


Another weekend we headed over to Dunedin for some free landscaping bricks- and on the way we stopped to get Asa's free birthday burger at Red Robin. 

And since we were over in Dunedin anyway, after loading hundreds of pounds of a bricks some Lemonade and Strawberry Shortcake from the Caboose was in order. I mean, if you're there anyway, right? 


Back at home, Asa started brewing some new cider, so we'll see how this goes. 


And on Saturday I taught my very first library crafting class, showing all age groups how to make Mickey Ears. Shout out to Jen, down the street from me, who donated this bag to help me carry around my supplies. 


And a shout out to Asa and Hayden who came to help me set up and clean up. Asa even made his own set of ears. The class was a total success, and is a big step for me- you know, social anxiety and all. 


Plus I'm basically famous at the Land O Lakes library now, I've got a crafting class named after me, and an official volunteer name tag! 


Also, shout out to Teresa and Linda for coming to my class to help support me. It was fun to have them along with my other students. 

On the way home we decided to finally swing by Brown's BBQ Pit. This family sets up shop on a corner between my house and the library on the weekends, and we've seen them forever, but we've never stopped. They've been featured in local news a bunch though, so I knew I wanted to try them some time, and it seemed like a great reward after my class for a special lunch. 


And you guys it was SO good. Maybe the best BBQ I've ever had. And Tampa has some good BBQ. The  beans are just the right blend of sweetness, and I was sure I didn't like collard greens until I had these. Plus the pork, the sauce, it was all so good. The only thing I've had better of was the corn bread. Shout out to T'Ola, her homemade stuff is better. 


Later that afternoon we made a Costco run and found some tickets for RenFest on an awesome deal (for real, it's $25 a ticket otherwise, but at Costco you could get four for $58. We're going to go for Asa's Birthday Weekend Extravaganza! 


On the way home, we swung by to get Hayden. It was the first Mario Kart Tournament since the library reopened. There wasn't a lot of promotion though, so it was just a few people- but Hayden dominated the whole thing. But the time Asa and I showed up to grab Hayden from the library, it was just Hayden, Mirina and the other teen librarian, so we sat down chatted for a bit, and Asa and I both did a race. (We love our little library fam we're creating over here!) 


Saturday night for dinner, Asa said he would make me whatever I wanted out of the country book as a congratulations on teaching my class (I told you, everyone is so impressed and supportive that with my level of social anxiety I'm teaching a class. Between the kids and Asa, Teresa coming to my class, and Sam telling me he was proud of me--- Sam, you guys!!-- I've just felt the love. Anyway, I picked Lichteinstien for dinner, and Asa totally nailed it. That cherry bread pudding. Oh my goodness. 


Sunday night some of us went out to Miller's Ale House for some dinner in Tampa. Hayden opted out, but we had a nice time anyway. 


Tuesday of course was chess night. Asa was running it because Devin, the kid (I say kid but he's like 18-19) who wanted to get it started back up had some family emergency. Asa was originally going to be a back up for Devin, but he's ended up in charge and having to move his schedule around with his students to make it happen. But, Hayden and Calib have been going to chess club on Tuesday nights as well, and loving it. They even got Mike to go, and I heard Kyle might be changing his schedule to try and make it too. 


Of course Tuesday was also pi day. Asa and I ran out to get some free pavers in Carrolwood and decided to stop by Blaze for our $3.14. We had planned for everyone to go to lunch, but nobody else woke up in time. I figured I could bring back anyone that wanted it for dinner- before chess club, or Calib could take everyone. 


A return to Blaze did not work out, however, Papa Johns was offering a Buy one get one for $3.14 and that was good enough for me. So Pizza for lunch, and pizza for dinner. Usually I buy a $3.14 pie at Publix for the event as well, but they were charging $3.85 this year, which I thought was so stupid, I refused to buy one. And yes, I took a stand over 71 cents. 

I leave you with the Waterstraut doggie pictures. 




Next up: March Madness 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment