Friday, March 31, 2023

Shoulder Week

 Ok, so I just learned the phrase "Shoulder time" from a Disney blog- apparently we're in shoulder time now, between two peak seasons. So, it seems appropriate to use for this week between Asa's Birthday Extrvaganza and his Birthday cruise. A valley between two peak events. 

The week, though is honestly kind of a blur. There was a lot going on- getting ready for things, and running errands and finishing up projects, that I was kind of all over the place. It's worth noting- so are these pictures. Not sure why they're all out of order, but it makes sense given that week, so I'm not going to even attempt to put them in any semblance of order. Instead, you get an 'all over the place' blog. 

It wasn't long after Asa's birthday when Olivia was headed back to the UK. On the way to the airport, we stopped for dinner at PDQ. 

At this point, March Madness wasn't over, but our brackets pretty much were. Olivia was ahead of everyone in points and was the only one with teams left in the game. Shockingly enough, we'd later discover she had the final two and the winner correct. I'm pretty sure in our decade plus of filling out brackets, that's the first time that happened. 

Anyway, she's off to the UK and with Jasmin until June, so we're down a person in the house. Obviously, we miss her (and we so wish Jasmin was visiting us instead of the other way around), but you know, Adventure is out there! So, we're happy to see Olivia and Jasmin doing their thing across the pond. Fun fact: Olivia even got her nose pierced this trip over there. It looks good in pictures, can't wait to see it in person. 

Like two days before she left she asked if we were doing Easter early for her. I was totally unprepared for that, but felt bad immediately for not thinking of it. So, I threw together a Kroger delivery order and surprised her the day before she left with an Easter basket. 

The night we dropped Olivia off at the airport, we swung by Tiff's Treats, ran some errands and then ended up over at Dom and Nando's for drinks. It was just an all over the place kind of day. That was Friday night and by Saturday morning we were out and about again. The Rose Continum had their open house/plant sale. We picked up some sweet potatoes and some butterfly plants and checked out their hydropics set ups for me to get inspired. 


And then we headed up to Brooksville. So, we hardly ever go up this way, but I had drug my feet on getting the shirts for Asa's birthday cruise and ended up not being able to get the same color for everyone. But then I decided we should all have different colors- which sent me to a whole bunch of different Kohls to pick one up. We also had Cheddars for lunch, so that was fun. 


But we're never and I mean NEVER up this way. So, when Asa found this little gaming store to go to up there, he decided we should swing by to see if they had any DnD stuff. He's trying to learn it so the library has someone to run the club. They had just started doing it before covid hit, and I guess whoever was doing it then hasn't been back. Anyway, we go to this store and they don't have much beyond dice. But there's an awesome girl at the counter (she knits her own bags for her DnD dice), and a couple of nice people in the store. We tell them about the library, and the girl feels so bad because she just gave away a bunch of DnD stuff to a friend. We get to talking, and Asa exchanges numbers with them in case they come across any stores with anything. So then, about half an hour later were in Kohls and Asa gets a text, apparently they did still have a couple books at home they were happy to give to us. So we met back up in a random game stop parking lot. Meet Jake and Ama. Super cool people we had a lot in common with, and so thoughtful to give us these books. Turns out they're both big Disney fans (I think they met there), and I promised Ama I'd make her some ears as a thank you. I told her to pick any character, and she picked Jasmine. I ended up making them once I got back from the cruise, but I left a picture on Ama's facebook so she knows they are done (and turns out I made them on her birthday!) So, we will have to head north to meet up with them soon and hand them off. Anyway, thanks Jake and Ama! 


So, I mentioned the Kohls shirts- I needed 12 of them (we had two surprise cruise guests, I will fill you in on that next blog), so I got them in all different colors and sizes (Holly, Gwen and I opted for tank tops). While all of us were 'Asa's 40th Birthday Cruise Crew', Asa was of course the only one with the Party Captain shirt. Stay tuned for a game we played with these- it was SO much fun! 


The birthday shirts weren't the only ones I made, either. Asa has been helping to run Chess Club at the library on Tuesday nights. Turns out it's very popular (last week they had 45- Victoria says that's a record, with the exclusion of Story Time, but I mean, whose going to beat story time?!) Anyway, the other guy, Devon who helps, is super competitive- he's top ten in the world in four player chess, because that's a thing. Anyway, he does more of the competitive stuff. Asa, meanwhile, ends up teaching a lot of little kids, who call the knights horsies. So, I made him a shirt. Turns out this shirt was so popular that we're going to have an event on May 2nd and make them for any chess club participants who are interested. And, I even made a shirt for Devon. We'll see if he wears it (I actually met him for the first time this week as he works at another Publix and we just happened to be going through and ran into him- and he assured me he was going to wear his chess shirt going forward, but we'll see). 


In other cruise crafting news, I printed everyone's names for their refillable cup so we didn't get confused on whose was whose (turns out though, Liberty doesn't have freestyle machines like Independence so we hardly used them). 


And then because it was nearing my neice's birthday and I'd be seeing her, I decided to make her a pair of ears. She asked me awhile ago if I had ever thought of making pirate ears, so I knew she'd like them.  I am really starting to consider possibly selling these, maybe at one of those markets. If I do it'll likely be in the fall (those markets aren't as common in the summer). She did love them, though. And speaking of ears, I had my second crafting with Corinne class at the library where we all made ears, and it went really well. Next month class is making rolled felt flowers, and there's still a couple spots open if anyone is interested! 


Of course, now that we've discovered Bee Coffee, we've swung by there a few times. Nothing is better than a strawberry rose water on a hot day. 


So obviously we were headed out on a cruise soon, but our neighbors behind us had moved away, and they were usually our dog watchers. Our neighbors up and down the street were happy to offer to step in. Kyle said he loved dogs (though the Harvison's don't have one), and I said I was going to test that love. Fire Theresa obviously has her doggie Oakley, so I knew she would be a great back up if Kyle got stuck working and couldn't do a check. And lots of other neighbors offered their assistance if needed. They all know the aging issues of Phenom (in a wheelchair) and Ellie's recent health issues, and were ready and willing to help out, which was reassuring. Still, I was nervous about it. I did do my best to give Kyle and Theresa the low down. We had them over on Saturday night, bought them pizza and presented them with some doggie info sheets I made for each of the Waterstraut pups. I think they're kind of awesome, so I've included them here. 







And heres a picture of Dipper, since I apparently never took one of his info sheet. 

In other lovely neighbor news, Alicia had given us a bogo coupon for the new-ish Whit's frozen custard place that opened in the Publix plaza by our house. Turns out it was delicious, and we will be back! 


Of course on trips, there are a lot of errands to be run. We made a Costco trip to make sure all the pets had plenty of everything- and Asa couldn't resist stopping to see the fancy tvs. We also got some wawa subs (their new wrapping paper is too cute!) 

And we had a free coupon for Woody's car wash, so we got to thoroughly clean the car from all our gardening escapades before we drove down to Ft. Lauderdale for the cruise. 


We also got everything from Asa's birthday planted in the garden. Lots of greens and some blueberry bushes. Marcus was on plant duty while we were gone, and considering he was working his long days every day we were gone and it was 96 degrees (in APRIL!!), He did a great job keeping them alive. 


And that's it. Sunday Jake flew in, because he was coming on the cruise with us and I was busy packing. It was such a hectic day I didn't take any  pictures. I was so preoccupied I didn't even give poor Jake a hug when he arrived. Rough coming in the night before vacation, Jake. Next time give yourself a little more time. Also, sorry about that, you know I love you! 

Next up: 12 People. One cruise. Lots of shenanigans (for real, have you seen Asa's cruise ship elevator video on Facebook? It's over 1.5 million views. We're famous!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment