Tuesday, May 9, 2023

May Bits & Pieces

 I have been blogging a lot the past few days. I've gotten caught up on everything from Asa's cruise to today (that's like a whole month), so while I don't have a lot to finish up with, there are a few odds and ends I'd like to get to- because currently, we're all sick and laying around the house anyway. It's not covid- or at least thats not what the covid test determined. But, we've all ended up with it. Hayden had it first, followed by Asa, and today I came down with it. However, if we were going to get sick at all in May, now was the best time. The rest of the month is chock full of activities. Everything from kitten yoga, to farm visits, to a Rowdies match, to game nights, to library classes, to a trip to Ohio. And hopefully we'll fit a Disney day in there somewhere. (To say nothing of the summer, I booked Goat Happy Hour, a Disney Trip, a Turtle Walk, Brentford tickets and Counting Crows/Dashboard Confessional $25 concert tickets all this week!) 

Last Tuesday was our Chess Club Shirt night. If you missed it, Asa, along with some other volunteers have been running chess club at our library since it reopened after the renovation closure. I made him a shirt, which everyone was super excited about, and wanted in on. So, we scheduled a shirt night. Now, you were technically supposed to sign up for a slot. But Asa, being fun-loving Asa told everyone just to bring a shirt and we'll get it done. Technically I did. And I kept a smile on my face the whole time, and everyone was lovely even though it took awhile to get to them. And, once I lost all my other volunteers I had some stellar library regulars (dare I say friends) stepping in. Everyone got shirts, they all took a picture. It was a total hit, with some lessons learned for next time. (You guys, I made like 30 shirts off my one cricut in about 3 hours. That thing got a work out for sure!) 


A couple of people couldn't make it, and brought their shirts in for me to take home and make, so I got to those over the last couple days. I was hoping Asa could take them to Chess Club tonight, but sadly, he is too sick to go. 


While I was making those, Hayden asked for a few others. I did my first shirt layering job, for his Gravity Falls and Owl House shirts, and he was sufficiently pleased. I thought they turned out awesome. I'm really starting to feel like I can make anything. 



A theory that will be put to the test over the next two weeks or so. Olivia is coming back from the Uk, heading to Chicago for a gaming tournament and arriving home late on Memorial Day. There was much discussion about the room situation when she returns. She often splits her time in the office, and hers/Hayden's room, which isn't really ideal for anyone involved. Plus the fact that as Olivia, it'd be nice for her to have her own femine-ized space. I already purchased a fluffy new pink comforter (she seems to enjoy pink) and I'm ready to make her room a little more Olivia friendly. But, Hayden is not down to be sharing, and I get it. Asa and Hayden both decided it'd be better for Hayden to share the office with Asa in a half bedroom/half office type of situation. So, we've been working on clearing out the office before I attempt to build a loft bed area, shelves, and a desk. I think I'll be able to do it, but we'll see. In the meantime, we're emptying out the office. I have a new home for the board games in the garage, but some will have to go- we can donate some to the library, and give some away on our Buy Nothing Group. 


While I'm busy making crafting stuff and building stuff, Asa is busy with his hard cider. Our library offered a class with the same home brewers as the one we went to at Starkey Ranch, so we went out to that to ask some questions. (We also made it to the UF Master Gardner class on pollinators, and they were sufficiently impressed with all my bee saving attempts). 


Speaking of the libary, we were back out there Saturday for the Gaming Extravaganza. Hayden was supposed to run the teen room with Mario Kart and other games, but by then he was hacking up a lung, so we made him stay home. He was heartbroken about it, but it was the right thing to do. The rest of us still felt fine, so I ran the little kids gaming room, while Asa helped run the chess room. Calib came later to play some chess and some other games. It was a great event. I played a lot of games with a lot of kids- but man, some of them gave me a run for my money in Clue. Kids can be smart detectives. 


Oh, and Chess Club is so popular now, they're expanding the hours. Victoria (the Makerspace Librarian) said the only person that really impacts is me- because one of my May crafting classes were going to be in that room at 4 on Tuesday. I just got moved to the childrens room, so it's no big deal. But, Asa is excited about the change. He just has to move his student calls and his hours around to make it all work. Still, tonight was the first night of the expanded club, and Asa missed it because he's still sick. I'm sure he'll be back at it next week though. 


Back in better days, when we were all healthier- we made a trip to the movies. We were walking in when Calib said to me "mom, when was the last time you went to a movie?" And I realized this was my first post-covid movie. The last thing I saw in theaters was when we tried to squeeze in Star Wars before Calib went to Italy, in December of 2019. I'm not a huge movie person, but oh my gosh- it'd been over THREE YEARS since I'd been in a movie theater. After this realization, Asa treated me to popcorn and pop (something we usually pass on due to the expense- though to be fair he had Regal rewards to get it all for free). 


We were there to see Guardians of the Galaxy 3, which we all really enjoyed. No spoilers, but we're happy with everyone's endings. 


Of course May 5 we celebrated Cinco De Mayo with tacos for dinner- a mix of homemade and street tacos from Costco are always a fav- and our go-to for the holiday. 


I realize it's been awhile since I've done a garden check. We're having some bad luck, and some good luck (why are ants eating all my plants at the stems?!?) The tomatoes are taking off though. And note, since we're redoing the office space to make it half (or 3/4 Haydens), we did finally bite the bullet and get the back window that had been cracked, and broken forever. Some guy came in, fixed it in about 30 minutes for $250 bucks. I was pleased. And Hayden is too. 


My flowers are really starting to take off, it took awhile, because I planted a lot of them by seed. 


And we got our first lemon! It did fall off the tree, which is why it yellowed. But still, it counts! 

My onions and cucumbers are doing the best. Sadly, I'm not sure anyone has pollenated all my cucumber flowers. Come on bees, I made you fun homes, watering and food stations. And, just like they told me in the pollinator class, I will be taking part in "No-Mow May", at least in the backyard, to help those solitary ground dwelling bees. 


I did take this picture of Asa hanging with his doggies. He says we have too many pets. But when he's not feeling well, and needs a snuggle, they're always there for him. I also convinced him to take part in Kitten Fostering. It's part of the Rapid Rescue program at the shelter, so we'll see if we get approved- but if we do we might have up to 5 kittens as overnight guests! Fingers crossed! 


Our pets on the other hand are doing ok. I know I told you all about Ellie's health issues awhile ago. We seem to be in a holding pattern with her. She'll be on her meds for the rest of her life, but the vets office is so sweet about it. When we call for refills they ask "And how is Miss Ellie?" Miss Ellie like she's some sort of teacher or something. And, to prove they actually know her they'll throw in a "still out there chasing lizards?" And then when we pick up her meds, we get cute little hearts and paw prints. Seriously, Central Pasco Veterinary Care is the best place. Dr. Daniels is the sweetest, and we love her. 


And thats it. I leave you with pictures of the Waterstraut pups. Phenom will be turning 16 in two weeks. I'm seriously considering throwing him a party and seeing if I can get the neighborhood dogs over here for some pupcakes as a Sweet Sixteen get together. We'll see. Etta might hate that. 


And thats it. I am officially all caught up!! Can you believe it? I thought it might never happen. 

Next up: We have until the weekend to get better. The guys have Brian Regan tickets on Friday, Asa and I have Rowdies tickets on Saturday, and Mother's Day is Sunday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment