Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Hayden on the Move!

Oh my goodness you guys, I am SO behind on blogs. Not only has it been since Mother's Day since I caught everyone up on Waterstraut happenings, but we've been crazy busy (especially by Waterstraut standards). So lets get to it. Asa and I had a dinner/Lowes date night. That seemed to be a theme while I was working on Hayden's new room. So many trips to Lowes! 


And after a delay, my miter saw finally arrived! The learning curve was steep with this girl, but I did eventually figure it out, and now I absolutely love it (I am just now thinking I need to name her!) Also, I can't believe there isn't a picture of me cutting with my saw. We'll have to remedy that ASAP. 


My tool collection, however, is ever growing. I can like build stuff now! 


Of course, per the usual there were errands to run- and when you have to run them, a stop at Chicken Salad Chick is a good call. We only have two months left of our free chicken salad, that's going to be so sad when it's gone! But, it worked out for them, they got me hooked on it. 


Along with our errands, we swung by Total Wine to get supplies for our trip the following weekend (spoiler alert: some of us went to Ohio for the holiday weekend). 


After I finally figured out my saw, I got to cutting- and a frame for Hayden's loft was formed. This thing is as sturdy as sturdy can be. But let me tell you, the stud/anchor situation is tough in these Florida houses. And what works for one spot on the wall might not work for another spot on the same wall. But, I figured it out, I got the frame up (albeit with legs and I was hoping I could make it "float"), and this thing isn't going ANYWHERE. At this point, I was pretty sure I could make this whole loft thing happen. 


I took a break from my building to head on out to Kitten Yoga at Heritage park. Lets be honest, I was there less for the yoga and more for the kittens. 



This little orange guy loved Asa and just kept hanging out with us. 




So you do the yoga, a very simplified verison of yoga, and you can always bail out of a pose to chill with a kitten. But after the class, there was some more time to cuddle the little guys. 



My favorite was this little baby, who only had one eye. All these kittens were up for adoption through the Runaways rescue organization. But, we're not in the market for another pet. Plus, cats are hard for me. I'm allergic, and as they get bigger- the allergies get worse. So kittens are ok for me to hold, where as full grown cats are tough for me to pet. Stay tuned for another kitten/Corinne interaction! Because I got all the kitten love this weekend. 


After kitten yoga, we had a game night. Though game nights also turn into a sampling of Asa's homebrew.  


Teresa made some boiled peanuts, which was my first experience with them. They were fine. But weird for me. Like peanut mush. Maybe it's an aquired taste- because all my born and raised southern friends love them. 


Anyway, there were lots of games, and drinks, and fun was had by all. 


The next day, Marcus was cleaning out his room and regifting a bunch of stuff. Hayden was very excited to score a zelda sword and a nice back pillow for his new room. 


That Sunday we also had tickets for the Dueling Piano Bar Disney show up at the Grove. But, if you're up there anyway, you might as well stop at Krate to get the best fries known to man. 


Hayden had not had the 'Kratewalker' fries before. Shrimp, Chicken, and Steak in this sweet garlicy sauce. SO GOOD. We weren't sure how he'd like them so we did also get some bacon cheese fries, which were also delicious. And Asa managed to nab the last 'mystery bag' at Bakery X. They have really good pastries, and if you're lucky enough you can get this whole bag of them from the day before for just $10. They are still delicious, and usually come out to just over a dollar per pastry. 


It was a successful trip to Krate, and we made it in just before the rain. 


So then we headed over to Treble Makers. We had not been to this piano bar before (we're basically just Jellyrolls people), and usually Hayden wouldn't be able to go to the shows. But, every once in awhile they have Disney night, so we grabbed some tickets (the cover was only $8, so it does have that over Jellyrolls!) 


I was super excited to find a girl playing, I feel like it's always guys. And she knew A LOT of Disney songs. She even did a medley from around the parks. 


You could order the buffet, but we just got drinks. Hayden opted for a Minnie Mouse strawberry milk, which was nicely themed. 


While Asa and I grabbed some fun grown up drinks. The whole thing was a good time, and I'd do it again for sure. Hayden loved it, because I mean, come on piano AND Disney? Thats two of his favorite things right there. 


Back at home that night, I was able to get the shelves up and get the slats in on the loft. Shout out to our neighbor, Vince who loaned me his big level. I was working with a tiny one and it was hard to make sure I was getting all the slats at the same height. But, at this point, I was pretty convinced it would be super sturdy. 

So then everyone brought in the boards for me. We debated what to do here. We settled on 1x6s instead of a giant board. Because of the way the math worked out, it was more economical and it would be easier for me to get home and make sure it was cut to size (One of the few things I can't do is cut my own plywood). 


The next morning, I climbed up there and screwed it all in. And tada! A loft that could support a lot of weight, and was the perfect amount of space for headroom down below and up above! 



That evening, I put on the carpet that I had scored from our Buy Nothing group. Since the loft was bigger than Hayden's bed, I wanted the rest of it to be cozy. Hayden was very impressed when he got up and saw he had a floor and carpet! 


We also had a big birthday in the house. Phenom turned 16! Of course, we always have little doggie birthday parties where I make pupcakes. But, I thought it'd be fun if we invited some of the neighborhood pups over for a little birthday party! 


Not that the birthday pup cared all that much about having "friends" over. But, still. 


So the whole party was our dogs, and then neighbor dogs Oakley and Pilot, who came on over to play and hang out and get some pupcakes. (Sadly, I think more of our friends are cat people than dog people, so there aren't as many dogs on the street). 



Still, most everyone seemed to enjoy their pupcakes. 


Etta of course has her struggles with dogs outside her pack. But, we did have a decently good interaction between the screens with Pilot and Oakley and Etta, so that's something. Also, shout of to Dom and Fire Theresa for being game for using their pups to help get Etta over her fears. 



Monday I was also able to get Hayden's shelves screwed in, and his carpet all attached- meaning it was time to start moving some stuff into his loft. You'll also note there's a little "pocket" below the bottom shelf. I didn't want his bed to scoot under there and have him lose some space, so he's got a little flat surface up by the window, and then this little "pocket for stuffed animals/pillows/extra blankets- really whatever. 


Now, we're far from done- but he could get some of his stuff up onto the shelves in the loft, and the little "pocket" I made against the wall. 



I went to bed while Hayden was still organizing his stuff, so I checked it out in the morning when I got up. 

Now, at this point, I knew we weren't done. I wanted to make a built in desk and a bench down below. But, I knew I was about to leave for the weekend, and Olivia would be coming back essentially right when we got back- so I wanted to make some temporary spaces, but still have it look cozy. Plus, a ladder still need to be made. So, I gathered up some things and made it the best I could, before emptying out the rest of the closet, and hanging the curtains. 


So, it wasn't perfect, but it was a good place to stop for now. (Sidenote: Ellie LOVES the rug I scored on the buy nothing group for this space). 


Tuesday was Phenoms actual 16th birthday. This guy has been with us through it all, and we just love him. He might have a little trouble getting around these days, but he's still the feisty, cuddly, crazy pup he's always been. We've been so lucky to have him as part of our family for so long. 


I think the progression of these pictures is pretty great. 


Of course, everyone had their pupcakes. I'm convinced Etta knows when I'm making them. I can bake anything else and she never comes running- but I bae these muffins and she KNOWS they're for her. (I suspect it might be the pumpkin smell, since that's really the only time I use it). 


Tuesday was also the first night Hayden spent in his new room. It's kind fo fun to be able to see and chat with him from the chair out in the family room. He likes to leave the door open to be a part of things, but also not. 


Wednesday morning I headed into Tampa to help our neighbor with taking her car in. Since I was down that way anyway, I swung by Ikea to get a few new things for Hayden's room and to feminize Olivia's new room just a tad. Turns out Ikea at 10 am on a Wednesday is a ghost town. It was almost eerie how much I went through the store nosing around, without seeing another human. 


We also were tasked with grabing a grocery delivery for our neighbor as well. We hung out on the porch stalking the Kroger delivery truck so we could grab it all once it arrived. Porkchop was not happy with the impending storm, so he hung out with us. 


Wednesday afternoon my main goal was to get Olivia's room in shape and organized. I picked up some things on the buy nothing group, got a few more items at Ikea, and even ordered a few things on Amazon. I was also excited to score a 'dumpster dive' (aka garbage day) find. That cool giant jewlery box was sitting outside on the curb when we were driving home and I asked Asa to stop. It was sprinkling and I knew in a few minutes it'd be ruined in a downpour. Calib jumped out with me and helped carry it home. 


Plus a few weeks ago, I picked up some new bedding on good sale at Kohls. The whole thing was really coming together. 


I also did some finishing touches (for now) on Hayden's space. We hung up lights under the loft. It makes the whole place glow! And, I got him this great peg board organizer for all his pens and pencils and erases and just general art stuff. 


I also got him the perfect size shelf for next to his bed to put his lamp on. Best $6.99 I've spent on the room! 


And that's it for this blog. I will leave you with the Waterstraut pup pictures from that week. 



Next up: We DROVE to Ohio for the weekend. It was bananas. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment