Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Arizona Bound!

I think most of you know, and have been informed, but we're down a person in the Waterstraut household. As of this writing, it's been three weeks since Olivia took off on a plane to Arizona. She's intending to stay there- as in, she's moved out. And, it seems to be going well, though I've made it clear if she needs to come home in 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years, or whatever, she's welcome home with zero questions asked. Maybe that's to soften the blow for me for my first kid leaving the proverbial 'nest', but it's also so she knows she always has that security. 

So, I'm not going to go to deep into Olivia's life here, because honestly, it's not really mine to share anymore, obviously as a 21 year old adult, it's Olivia's to share if she so chooses. (it's why you see less kids and more me and Asa in the blog these days). But in simple terms, she's living with a girl out there who had some space for her and invited her out. (We've met her and she seems lovely). 

I know Olivia has always planned on leaving Florida. The crowds, the heat, the politics (especially now), have never really been her style. For years she's told me how she wouldn't live here, and for years I've told her I don't want her to if she doesn't want to. (I strongly feel the most important thing you can do for yourself is live where you're happy). But, I know a big push to get out of here now was her situation as a transgender female and the policies here. Obviously the debacle with her hormones/blockers was a factor. However, I can say her moving has nothing to do with anyone around us (as in people we know) not being anything but supportive. 

I actually want to take a second here to thank everyone for being so kind, and always checking in on her and us. All of our neighbors up and down the street, some older generational people who get a bad wrap for being unaccepting, but everyone has been very good about using the correct pronouns and name, and empathizing with what we've all had to deal with because of Florida law. Honestly, I think for some of those people Olivia has given them pause to rethink some things happening around here. 

And then there's our family across the county (and friends that are basically family- here's looking at you Allison and Nate)that have offered everything from their house and airline miles to get her what she needs, to helping us hook up with doctors who could help, to sending makeup care packages and offering up tutorials (because that's so not my thing.) Even friends of friends have offered up their homes if necessary. 

What I'm saying is from the moment everyone in our lives were introduced to Olivia, they have been welcoming and kind. Friends from all over the country have checked in on all of us- to see how Olivia is doing, and how we're doing. Everyone is invested in her happiness, and I've always passed your good thoughts onto Olivia. She knows she has an army of supporters. I've always known we keep good company, but you guys have all really been amazing. And honestly, except for Florida law, the transition for all of us hasn't been as big of an adjustment as you might think. I have always wanted my kids to live their authentic lives, and be themselves. I've always just wanted my kids to be upfront, be themselves and be happy. I preached it their whole lives, and Olivia has delivered on that hope. 

So, she's out there living her best life. And if she needs to, she knows she's absolutely welcome here with open arms by all of us, my whole family, and really, the entire street of neighbors, our little library family, just everyone we surround ourselves with. Because, why would you surround yourself with anyone less than people who love you for who you are. But honestly, I hope she doesn't need to. Because, I know despite all of Florida law stuff, she just felt like it was time to go out there and live on her own. Be a 20-something and explore life. She really loved living in a flat with friends in the UK and I know she missed that when she got back, so why not go out there and live how you want to live! Adventure is out there! And I know she's adventuring, which could not make Asa and I more proud. (Ok, plus she texts me like every other day, which I appreciate). 

Anyway, ok, enough with all that. Before she left we were trying to fit in all the Waterstraut traditions. We did our annual Waterstraut Olympics, played True American, and I was still owed my Mother's Day gift (Olivia was in the UK for Mother's Day, so she owed me). 

And as you know, my Mother's Day gift is always a game of Lifeboats, the most manipulative, backstabbing game that we have. Our friends have heard about it a lot, and Dom was around when we went to play it, so he was our 6th. A full game, with all the boats! 


Of course, then everyone had to appeal to Dom and nobody could read him. 


Which meant he ended up winning. He only ever lost one guy out of one boat, and that was at the very end (when he even still had a Captains hat left and could have stopped that from happening!) 


That same night we had one of our game nights with a bunch of neighbors. Apparently, the only picture I took was everyone playing Jackbox games. But trust me, it was good time. 


And when everyone left, late at night, the fam got together for one last 'Dad and the Noise' performance on Rock Band. I'm sure there will be a reunion tour someday. 


Saturday the 8th, Olivia headed back to the airport (nobody has flown more than her lately!) Even though Calib was just getting up mid-day, I was able to snap one last (for now) picture of all five Waterstrauts in one place. 


Per the usual trip vibe, we did take Olivia to PDQ before she left. Florida does have something on Arizona- we have PDQ's. However, Arizona has In-N-Outs, which Olivia reminded us of with a text message a few days later. 


And just like that, she was off. I was kind of surprised at me and Asa. There were no tears, just well wishes (and we were lucky enough for some hugs, which Olivia generally does not care for), and smiles. At this point, we're pretty used to Olivia coming and going. But, it might take awhile to feel like she is really gone since she was spending months at a time in the UK before this. Anyway, she had a safe flight, landed safely, was picked up and made it to her new apartment all before we fell asleep that night. 


I will say, there are sometimes were really missing Olivia. Like, she was our resident lizard catcher. Now, after Hayden failed to capture one (with a spatula and a bowl), we resorted to naming him and letting him run around, hoping Dipper doesn't catch him. 


The weekend Olivia left was pretty quiet around here (it always feels really quiet here when we're down a person), plus we hadn't really made any weekend plans. So, we grabbed some books and made ourselves comfy on the couch. Even Ellie was a snugglebuddy, which is unusual for her. 


And we went over to visit Yoda at the neighbors. In case you missed it, he's one of the little kittens I rapid rescued back in June, and he's now been officially adopted down the street. Mike calls me 'Aunt Corinne' whenever I come over to visit, and I kind of love it. 


There were also drinks and snacks in the blanket fort, 


...and a brunch date. As the kids start moving on, it is not lost on me how good it is that I love spending so much time with just Asa. This guy, you guys. Through it all, he's my person, and I love him more everyday. So, yea. Good thing he's my best friend, or we'd be screwed with people to hang out with. (No offense, I said you guys were all awesome, I just don't spend 24/7 with y'all the way I do with Asa). 


I enjoyed my fancy iced coffee so much, Asa made me one a few days later at home, because he's been pampering me a little extra lately. 


Of course, we also had 'Oh Thank Heaven' day, and Calib, Asa and I went to get our free slurpees. 


At one point when we were out running errands, I noticed the 'craft fair' sign at the gates to the subdivision, and I threw out the idea of seeing how much a table was. Turns out, it was $10. I had 8 in cash, so I asked Calib for the other two as an 'investment' Shark Tank style. I'd given away most of my ears, though, so I had to build up my inventory, so I worked on doing that. 

And then, on Saturday I sold them for $20 a pair. I was hoping to get sell a pair. I brought 21 with me, and sold 10. So, all in all, it was a total success. I just might have something here. Can you imagine if I can actually sell these? I mean, obviously I can, people loved them AND I made $200 so win-win. I might get to need more official if I want to sell them at Markets around Tampa though. 


So my money went a couple different places. It took me to the Georgia Aquarium (I'll get to that blog someday, I'm so behind), and did the downpayment for an inflatable slip n slide for my birthday party (yup, I'm going to be 42, not 10), but I also took Asa to bee coffee to treat him, because honestly, it's been decades since technically I bought him anything. (He doesn't at all see it like that, because the guy is the most generous person I know, but I still thought it was cool). 


While running errands, we did swing by for one more hoagie fest. 


And very sadly, our very last free Chicken Salad Chick we had gotten every month for the last year for free because I talked Asa into going to the grand opening with me. 


Oh, and we all went to get our free fries from McDonalds on free fry day. Then we came home and Asa made patty melts while I made milkshakes, and then we put it all together for a fun dinner. 


In weather news, we're at that point in the year where it's either raining or ass hot. I did find one night where it wasn't too bad, and Ellie and I got to go on a walk with Oakley and Fire Theresa. Ellie did really well with Oakley's encouragement, and made it nearly all the way to the park! When we headed back and Oakley continued on, we dropped some sniffing toys for her, hoping the fire dog could sniff them out. I even dropped one in front of the Oakley flag- and then sent Fire Theresa pictures so she'd know where they were on the way back. Oakley found all but one, so she did pretty well! 


There is also the swimming mode, so it's nice to have neighbors who invite you over for that. Yes, we have a community pool, but it's still summer vacation so it's crowded AND the pool temp is WARM. So, not ideal. Anyway, Hayden was over at those neighbors one day to play piano (they love him playing their in tune grand piano), and they had their grand-daughters for the week too, so they were listening in. Vince sent us this picture and I just thought it was ADORABLE.  

Oh, so Hayden. You know how Hayden moved rooms to share the office with Asa so Olivia could have her own room? Well, her old room was now free to move back into. But Hayden was not sold, because he loves his new space so much. Plus, the loft is custom built in, you can't really move it. And so, Asa proposed he move out of the Haydens room/office and into Olivia's room. The pros here is the air conditioning: Hayden's new room is the warmest in the house, Olivia's room is the coldest. Anyway, so once that was settled, I started moving all the stuff out of the office side of Haydens' room. Our toilet room became the proud owner of all the weird/no business being framed/fun stuff we have. 


Meanwhile, a teacher on our buy nothing group was asking about Harry Potter stuff because she wanted to do her room in that design. I talked to Olivia and she said she was fine getting rid of her stuff, so I gathered it up and passed it on. It was a little sad, but I don't want to bug my kids to keep things they don't really want. 


While I've been working on that stuff, Hayden, Calib and Asa have been busy playing Stardew Valley online with Jake. 


But if you notice, the tv is now mounted- and the puzzles finally got moved around to fit the new format. Hayden helped me with the placement, and we weren't a fan with our first go around (the left picture), so after a few days, we eventually settled on the second design (the right picture). I think it was a good decision, it looks so much better now. I still have to arrange the pictures above the couch though, they're still smooshed to the side like they were when the TV was there. 


After we got Asa's office all set, I decided to take advantage of the empty closet. I envisioned all my crafting stuff fitting in there, complete with a workspace. As much as I love seeing butterflies (and my lid mural) outside the kitchen window when I'm working, I really hate having to drag out all my stuff, and then take up the kitchen table for days at a time. I had some leftover wood in the garage, and a piece of granite I had scored on the buy nothing group, and I knew I could make it into a great space. Asa wasn't sold, but he did help me get the granite in without too much arguing. 


After a couple days of work, I had myself the workspace of my dreams. 

Complete with custom shelves to fit everything I wanted to get in there. 


Though now half of Home School Central is empty, so I think we might be moving to either books or games in here. 


In other news, we had a big Ellie scare when she refused breakfast one morning. I thought it was it for her, but our awesome vet (if you're looking for one, see Dr. Daniels!) talked me down, and got us some of the canned food she remembered Ellie liked (it's all they can get her to eat when she's there, she refuses everything else). Anyway, the stuff is $16 a can, though they gave us a sweet deal, but after Ellie at that and had her meds, and I was calmed down- I was like 'ok, but $16 a can is not sustainable', so we started making her some food in the instant pot. Rice, Chicken and Squash is the secret recipe and she loves it. Gobbles it right down every morning. You can even just throw her pills in there, no need to give it to her in a different spoonful. 


All the dogs love it actually, and it's probably cheaper than their other stuff- certainly the canned stuff. 


And that, is it. As always you get the puppy pictures. 




Next up: Barbenheimer weekend!! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment