Sunday, July 2, 2023

Happy 21st Birthday, Olivia!

On July 1st, we knew Olivia would not be home in time for her birthday (page back and check out last blog if you're interested). It would be the first birthday of any of my kids, I didn't spend with them. That was sad, but also kind of part of life. I often think I was very lucky to get all their childhood birthdays with them anyway, and then to add a couple years on top of that, well, what more could I possibly ask for? 

We coped ok with the news with a cookout and some pool time, since we were still pool sitting. 


And then a midnight, we did Google Chat with Olivia to wish her Happy Birthday, per our usual family tradition of screaming Happy Birthday to each other at midnight. (Calib was there too, he took the picture!) And, Olivia was with Joanne, Ray, Max and Henry having a good time there. 


It was weird to have to fill our time on Olivia's birthday though. We did some more time in the pool and then some time in the blanket fort. That's pretty much a typical summer day around here. 


Meanwhile, Olivia headed out to dinner- and Joanne even sent me a picture of her getting carded for the very first time! Olivia has spent her birthday in a lot of different places. Now we can go ahead and add Pittsburgh to the list that includes Ohio, Alaska, and Hawaii. 


And, we did do some virtual shots with her on her birthday in the blanket fort. Fun note: I basically only take shots when my kids turn 21 (or when T'Ola moves away). And now, I've got two kids of legal drinking age. Just one to go (and that one took the picture of the rest of us, nice job, Hayden!) 


The day after Olivia's birthday, it was Monday and she was able to get her full dose from the pharmacy, so she was headed back to Florida. Asa went to get her from the airport and picked up Chicken Tenders for the 4th of July, since PDQ had them BOGO, and Olivia had wanted them for her birthday. 


When she got back, she showed us all her alcohol she got for her birthday- neatly and well packed by Ray himself. It all made it home without so much as a scratch on it. 


And she had some gifts from us waiting for her! 


The next day we celebrated with her "Cake", which is usually just fruit pizza with a yellow cake base. 


21, man. Asa and I have contributed two full grown adults to the world. I will say, I loved the kid phase- but I'm loving this one too. All ages are good ones if you do it right! 

Next up: The 12th Annual Waterstraut Olympics! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment