Sunday, August 13, 2023

Happy 42nd Birthday to Me!

 While I had my birthday party the weekend before my birthday, my birthday week was still quite the extravaganza. While we did do Chess Club on Tuesday, mom came to help set up too, and then while chess club was happening, mom took me out to do craft shopping to get supplies to make some more ears (and I'm trying to get into bows too!) So, that was a fun birthday trip. I got loaded up on fabrics, foams, stuffing, buttons, ribbon and tulle! 


On Wednesday we had tickets at the MidFlorida Amphitheater to see Counting Crows. They were one of the $20 tickets when Live Nation had their sale earlier this year, so we scooped them up because we figured it'd be a fun birthday thing to do. As a bonus Dashboard Confessional was the opening act. They made it on one of my first cds from Asa, so there was a bit of nostalgia there. 


And the kids came too, which was fun. We sat in our tickets seats, but quickly realized we could move and have less people in front of us. It was far from sold out. 


Still, it was a decent show! They did all the heavy hitters: Mr. Jones, Long December, Round Here, Rain King (though I was sad there was no Accidentally in Love, that one is also nostalgic for me and Asa). And then at the end, they came out with Dashboard Confessional and did a big group version of 'Hanging Around', which was awesome. They really do hold up well. Calib and Hayden didn't really know any of the songs, but they said they wanted to go anyway, and for $20, I thought it'd be fun. Hayden gave it a solid 7 out of 10, and Calib went with a 5. But, given they didn't know who the Counting Crows were, I'd say that's not bad. 


We got home about 11:30, and I quickly showered and got in bed, waiting for the onslaught of midnight Happy Birthdays, per Waterstraut tradition. (This is Asa and Hayden trying to be the first to say happy birthday at EXACTLY midnight). 


The next morning I was treated to a lovely breakfast cooked by my amazing husband, fancy coffee, and our morning music (95% of mornings Asa sends music to the soundbar) was aptly, the Counting Crows. 


I mulled around what to do on my actual birthday, and I landed on the Florida Aquarium. It isn't too weather dependent, and it's air conditioned- plus, a pass was only something like $40 more than our tickets would be, so we ended up with a pass. It was like something to do for my birthday and a present all in one! 


Of course, we had just been to the Georgia aquarium a few weeks before hand, and this one isn't nearly as big or impressive, but it's got a lot of cool things that the Georgia aquarium doesn't have. Hello, you can pet JELLYFISH here!!! 


And there is the new exhibit Morph'd, which honestly was the biggest reason I wanted to come here for my birthday. It just opened this summer, and it'd been a few years since we'd been to the aquarium, so it was all new to me. 


The exhibit is all about various sealife with weird/cool adaptations. And there are a lot of super cool things in here: four eyed fish, no eyed fish, things like that. 


The main event, for me and Hayden at least- and the reason we wanted to go in the first place, is beacuse for morph'd, they brought in axolotls! I'd never seen one in person, and Hayden and I both love them. Funfact: we learned about them by playing Overcooked in which we were both axolotl chefs. Anyway, they were as cool in person as I thought they'd be! 


And then of course, there were all the usual aquarium suspects. I particularly enjoyed the big open area for the birds (if you've seen the Florida aquarium, this is the part under the big glass dome). 



The madagascar section added lemurs back when we had passes, and they were working with some trainers, which was funny to watch. 


And while the ray touch tank was closed when we went by, we were able to pet the starfish in the pacific cold water touch tank. 


And now instead of just seeing penguins in the little wagon that comes around, they have their own home outside. 


The splash pad has all been redone too- I made everyone play with me out there just to cool off a bit, not to get soaked or anything. 


By now, we were all pretty hungry- it was about 2:00pm and nobody had had lunch. Mom said she would take me anywhere I wanted to go, and since we were already downtown, I picked one of my favorite places: Ulele. 


And boy was I treated. I got a lovely strawberry mint lemonade cocktail, 


A delicious lobster roll and a side of carrot ribbons. 


And dessert. While I apparently didn't take a picture of my upside down pineapple bread pudding, I did snap one of moms coconut ice cream (served in a coconut), and the guys who split bacon maple crunch ice cream. All of it was delicious. 


And then our waiter even brought me out a little box of truffles, complete with a candle. It was too cute. 


A delicious, yet expensive (thanks mom!) lunch. Perfect for my birthday! 


Right next to Ulele is Waterworks park, complete with a sprayground. I convinced everyone to stand under the bucket to get wet with me. It was SO HOT, so we dried fairly quick. Calib even got in on it for the first bucket dump... 


...and then Hayden, Asa and I went for round two. 


How lucky am I to have this family that indulges all my birthday wishes? Including getting drenched in their clothes. 


We came home and played some of my favorite games. (No Lifeboats, but plenty of other good ones). 


And then I decided instead of a normal cake, I wanted a dessert party. 


I still had my cucpake from my birthday party complete with candles, so we lit that. 


We had Dom, Nando and the Harvison's over for desserts too, since there was plenty to share. And then they hung out and played some games. All in all, a wonderful birthday. 


Friday, Asa was back at work (he took Thursday off for my birthday), so my mom and I finished up some projects. We made a quilt for my sister in law out of her moms clothes, and made some lavender honey. 


And then once Asa was done with work, we went out to start collecting some of my free birthday food. I was determined to not let any of my free birthday stuff to go to waste this year. So, I cashed in on my Red Robin Burger, Nothing Bundt cake, and WaWa coffee and fountain drink right away (sadly some of it would go to waste, because spoiler alert: after this week I got sick, and then we had a hurricane). 


Asa also took me out to buy some new residents for my pond as a birthday gift. I could have gotten some fancy ones, but the feeders served me so well last time. So, I picked out five new ones to bring home at a whopping 30 cents a piece. 


That afternoon some of us hit the pool, though the water was ridiculously hot. Some say it was measuring at 102 degrees- and that would not surprise me in the least bit. 


And then it was Bucs football time! Ok, just pre-season, but still. I got to enjoy it with leftover desserts, and Calib made me another Banana Cabana. 


Saturday morning we said goodbye to my mom at the airport, and she headed back home in time for the family reunion. Thanks for everything, mom! We'll see you in December. 


We decided to make a day of it and continue my birthday fun after we dropped her off, so we headed through St Pete and across the Bay to Sarasota area to do some shopping at Detwiler's. I'd never been, but I've heard how this is such a great market, and I can totally see why. Everything is so fresh, made in house, and priced well. We didn't really need many groceries though, since my mom was just here, so we only picked up a few items and made a note to go here for groceries one week. 


Then we headed over to Wow Wow Lemonade in Lakewood Ranch. We went here in Hawaii, and they finally built one on the mainland near us, so I knew I wanted to go. I still use my aloha cup from there all the time! 


We got the flight of lemonades with a watermelon, blackberry and passion fruit. They were all good, but I think the watermelon might have been my favorite. Next time I go, I think I'm just going to get that one in a reusable mason jar glass to replace my hawaii one. 


We continued on our way to the Dakin Dairy. This had been on my list of places to visit for awhile now. They took it last year during the hurricane, and it was awhile before their farm tours were back open, but now that they were, I wanted to make a point to come support them. 


The tour is something like $9 a person, and totally worth it. They take you out to the barn and talk about the cows, what they feed them, the cycle they go through, how they keep them cool- all that kind of stuff. And if you find a cow so inclined, you're welcome to give them pets. 





About every 8 hours, the cows go to be milked- they aren't tied up or anything and when the guy comes through for the milking, they all seem to now it's time and head on over. 


And then we got to see them being milked. They know what to do- they head into their pens, a guy down there in the mild sanitizes everything and hooks them up- and then when the milking is done, the contraption falls off, and the pens open for them to be on their way. It was interesting to watch. 


And then you get to go through the factory to see how it's all pasturized and packaged and everything (and how some of it is turned into chocolate milk, and how some of it is turned into cheese). 

At the end of the tour you are treated to some fresh chocolate milk (which was delicious!)


And you're given some cheese samples, and a little jar of heavy cream you can shake until it becomes butter. The whole tour is 45 minutes to an hour, and totally worth the $9. 


But we weren't there just for the tour, we were also there for 'calf cuddling'! Yes, it's a thing! Whenever they have calfs you can sign up for a 15 minute calf cuddling session where you get to love on all the baby calfs. We spent some time with Tate, Sparkles, and 9 day old Sailor who was super soft. That was also about $9 (maybe 8? I can't remember) Either way, totally worth it. The dairy is way off the beaten path, but it is something I'd do again, especially in nicer weather where you aren't sweating to death! 


After all of that, we headed back into the market/food area. 


We nabbed some sandwiches for lunch, along with a milkshake and a coffee (that were delicious!) And we grabbed some chocolate milk to bring home for the kids. Hayden liked it more than Toft's chocolate milk, Calib didn't like it as much. 


On the way home, we got to call Olivia and talk to her for awhile, which was lovely- text is great and all, but it's nice to chat now and again (She's doing well out there). And then I got my free birthday french fries which were about to expire. 


And I got my free coffee from Aroma Joes, and then we had Mike and Marcus over to play some DnD, so all around a great birthday weekend. 


By Sunday I was a bit pooped- Asa made us some breakfast tacos and we watched Brentford win! 


And then they played Stardew Valley with Jake while I napped on the couch. I thought this was old age, but as it turned out, I was actually getting sick. 


And, being sick describes my last three weeks. I leave you with the usual Waterstraut pet pictures. 






Next up: Germs come for me, and Asa totally steps up to the plate. (I sure married a good one). 

No comments:

Post a Comment