Sunday, August 6, 2023

Slippin and Slidin into 42

I'm going to do something a little different with this blog, and just write it and then attach all the pictures at the bottom, because, well, I'm behind- and because I feel like the pictures speak for themselves and all the fun we had. 

I haven't had a birthday party in quite some time. Lets face it, I'm not naturally a social person, and I prefer to keep to myself. But, I've been working on expanding out, and this year, we've gotten gotten this core group of people that feel less like friends and more like family. I kind of love my street. While we have some 'bad apples' here and there- for the most part, I know we all have each other's backs. And, more than that, a lot of us are pretty close friends. 

I say all this because for years, I've wanted one of those giant blow up inflatable slides for my birthday. I don't remember if they are popular up north- but it's pretty big down here, for kids parties anyway. You're hard pressed to go a weekend without spotting one in someones back yard, towering over fences. I mentioned my want for this to Dom and Nando, and then Teresea, and they all agreed I should do it! The problem: no way that was going to fit in our backyard. We *might* have the square footage, but we also have the tree in the middle of the yard (which wouldn't have been my choice, but it's there now), and a built in fire pit. Teresa, however, was very quick to offer up her yard. It made me a little nervous at first. Mike babies his yard so it looks so pretty, and I didn't want to kill off grass or anything. Plus, then they'd have to host (though Teresa is like the best hostess on the street, everyone knows that). But after asking a million times if they were sure, I finally decided to book one. 

But in looking at the slides, I found a giant slip n slide, and I thought that might be better- you know, we're old, that's a lot of climbing, and I thought people might get tired. So instead, I went with this huge two lane slip n slide with a giant pool at the end. It was like $300 to rent for the day, but I had some of my money from selling my ears, and we had a big side hustle check coming for us, so we booked it. And I was excited! 

Teresa, Mike, Kyle and Marcus were such gracious hosts. They did all this yard work in preparation, cleaned the house, and then ordered me cupcakes and a cookie cake. It was so sweet of them. I felt very loved. And then Mike even took care of the delivery and messaged us when they started filling the pool, so we could race down there and check it out. We added rubber ducks, beach balls, and pool squirters to the pool for added fun. 

The slip n slide was so cool, even better than I had imagined. The bacyard was super nice, with beach chairs and umbrellas, the back porch was all set up for hanging out and drinks and such. My mom even bought me a snow cone maker, which I brought over complete with little umbrellas to put in them, and we brought over the popcorn maker for some added snacks. 

We had invited some friends from the library- and our closest knit group on the street, even though I insisted nobody bring anything, I was showered with gifts and cards which was just so sweet of everybody. My mom of course was also here. She helped set up and clean up, provided the snow cone maker and a flamingo pinata full of adult beverages and candy for the kids. 

And everyone had so much fun! Candace and her kids from the library showed up first, so we hung out with them for awhile slipping and sliding. I had a hard time getting all the way down the slip n slide to the pool, so Isabella decided we should just start running ON the slip n slide and then go sliding half way through, and that worked much better. The guys, meanwhile, had no problem getting to the end (I think my swim shirt inhibited me), and throughout the day they invented games like who could grab the 'flag' (aka Asa's shirt) first, and things like spinning while they went down. 

We got almost everyone on the slip n slide too. Marina, a 'librarian' at the library who came and brought me a book (so fitting!), said she would come and not slide, and I was totally cool with that. And Alicia, who has neck issues was strictly told by her adult kids not to do it. But Mike, Teresa, my mom, Vince- all the older crowd, they went down the slip n slide and had a blast! 

After Candice's family headed out, Erin, Dylan and two of their kids came to hang out. They are more Teresa's friends, but Teresa had been trying to get us to hang out for months. We tried a few game nights, but our schedules just never aligned. Anyway, I FINALLY got to meet them breifly when they came to the craft fair, and they were all just lovely- totally our kind of people, so I was so excited they could come and hang out, and we really got to know them. They are so our people (and they've even been able to make it to chess club a few times now too). 

Anyway, we spent the whole day slippin and slidin, and eating and drinking. We had to take a break twice for lightning in the area, but it's August, I'm actually shocked that was it. You know you're rolling the dice with an outside party in August. When the couple of storms did come through though, we just had some food in the covered porch, and then when back out as soon as the threat of lightning passed. 

Overall, we had  my mom and the four of us, the library crew of: Marina, Candace, Drew, Luke, Nathan, and  Isabella, plus Hayden's BFF from the library, Genesis. Blue Springers: Vince, Alicia, Dom, Nando, Mike, Teresa, Kyle, Marcus, Fire Teresa (who even brought Oakley down) and Jen who was able to make an appearance despite having plans that day. And Wilderness Lakers: Erin, Dylan, Spender, and Autumn. 

And it was all so much fun! When we got tired of slipin and slidin, and needed a break, we designated one side the sitting/drinking side and one side the sliding side. We played in the water, we broke the pinata, we made all kinds of random snow cones (including grown up ones), we played music, visited the kittens, opened presents, ate so much food, and it was just the best day ever. 

We were only supposed to have the slip n slide from noon to 6, but they called and said we could keep it overnight, so it was sunset before we decided to inflate it, and then we all cleaned up and sat around hanging out on the patio. I so hope to do this again next year. Luckily, even though it got real muddy at the start of the slip n slide, Mike said his lawn was fine- looked like nothing ever happened. And the 'Bounce Party of Tampa' that we rented the slide from came and grabbed it in the morning without disturbing anyone. Mike and Teresa said they were great to work with, and if we do it again, we should totally use them again. 

Overall, it was just a blast and I felt so loved. It was just so much fun, and I want to thank everyone for coming and making my birthday party so awesome. I had leftover cupcakes for days, and my pretty flowers lasted nearly three weeks. 

So, there you have it: enjoy the pictures! 




















Next up: My actual birthday! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment