Friday, May 11, 2012

Week 39: We'll Be Friends Till We're Old and Senile..Then We'll Be New Friends!


16 days. Sixteen meesley days of this school year left. Some day I'll look back fondly on the days when all my kids went to the same school. And, by someday, I mean August. Things are about to get really, really hectic. Until then the summer bucket list keeps growing. This week's fun editions include building a card house as tall as Hayden, and building the longest slip n slide ever.

Oh so hey, my weekend- It was SO super cool! Friday Night we dropped the boys over to Justins and headed out to the movie theater to see the Avengers with Gerald McCoy. I'm not sure if you heard: but I totally won tickets! When we got there it was about half an hour before we were supposed to, but it was already packed. They checked us in, and we went to the back of the line. It stretched all the way through the hallways past numerous theaters. At the front of the line was Gerald McCoy signing autographs, and taking pictures. I thought there was no way we would ever get to the front of the line before it was time for the movie, and I was right. The Bucs mascot and cheerleaders were walking up and down the line taking pictures, and entertaining everyone.

After we'd been standing there for about half an hour, Gerald McCoy rounded the corner, and ran all the way to the back of the line giving out high fives. When he got to the back of the line (where we were it had rounded the back and come back around to make kind of a U shape) he stopped and said "Man, they're all telling me not to come back here and see the fans- but they can kiss my butt". Then he started taking pictures with anyone who wanted them, and signing autographs. The poor people going into the theaters we were standing outside of were so confused by the crowd. One guy, clearly being dragged into the theater for 'The Lucky One' by his girlfriend, looked in total awe. He clearly didn't know what to do so he just offered Gerald McCoy some popcorn.

Then, rounding the corner, was a bunch of other Buccaneers: Adam Hayward, Moses Madu, and Adrian Clayborn. They were all joking around- it was so hot in the theater that Adam Hayward declared: 'Hey guys, blame McCoy. He paid for the movie but forgot to pay for the air conditioning'. When Gerald McCoy got up to our spot in line, we asked him to sign our ticket. He congratulated me for winning (Asa yelled at me for correcting him when he pronounced my name wrong), and gladly signed it and took a picture with us.


After he made his way to the end of the line, they let us all in the theater. The theater was all decorated with Buccaneers flags, including one on each seat for all of us to have. We all got popcorn and a pop, and after we all got settled Gerald McCoy gave a very little heartfelt speech about how he loved Tampa, and the fans and how he was so excited he got to do this. They Bucs all sat in the middle of the theater, like two rows behind me and Asa. The movie was pretty awesome. It's not necessarily my favorite kind of movie, but for an action movie I was pretty entertained. Afterwards, when we were leaving, all the players were down by the exits shaking hands thanking everyone for coming, taking more pictures, and signing more autographs. They were so friendly and personable. Even after we got home, Gerald McCoy was tweeting out pictures from the event. Adrain Clayborn and Moses Madu even tweeted Asa back and thanked him for coming. It was a super cool event. I still can't believe I won the tickets. It. Was. Awesome.

He also sent out a tweet a couple of days later linking to the article about it. Here it is if you want to check it out: http://www.buccaneers.com/multimedia/videos/Movie-Night-with-Gerald-McCoy-The-Avengers/55dfdebb-9367-460f-8e65-6243d12b1495 Seriously, so awesome.

Saturday we went out to the fresh market, as our usual every other Saturday activity. Justin ditched us because he didn't want them to run out of the $1 broccoli. We did run into Ann and Fico though. We had planned on picking blueberries too, but we didn't get up and around early enough for that. Hopefully we can squeeze it in while U-pick is still going on. I was starting to come down with something too, so we went home to rest for the afternoon.

Saturday night we had gotten tickets from Chris, a guy Asa works with, to the Florida Orchestra Symphony Under the Stars at Raymond James Stadium. The tickets were free, which was awesome because I was all about going: but the boys weren't so sure. (translation: not something you want to spend money on) It was a really casual event: You got to bring lawn chairs and blankets and sit out on the field while the Orchestra played. When we arrived there were already a lot of people there, a couple of Calib's friends from school were there, so we sat near them. Calib spent half the night running around off with his friend Thomas, and we hardly saw him at all. But it was nice for all kinds of kids to just be running around the field in bare feet, having a good time. When Chris and his family arrived, they sat next to us, and Kevin and Katie had also gotten tickets.

They had the concessions open at a really reasonable price. (It was $2.50 for a bucket of popcorn) The boys climbed around on the pirate ship, and they were even giving out free pictures of whoever wanted one with the cheerleaders. Hayden was the only one of my kids who happily got his picture.


They played some great stuff too: Phantom of the Opera, Superman, and as a finale: the 1812 Overture. If you've ever been to the Bucs stadium: you know it contains a pirate ship, and they fire the cannons whenever the Bucs score. So, when it was time for the cannons in the 1812 Overture, they fired the cannons of the pirate ship. My kids (playing nicely with Chris's son) were so unsuspecting, and Chris was taking video at the time. It's pretty amusing. Here's the link if you want to check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LvB_Nz9GIE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

After we got in the car I really started to feel my cold coming on.  By Sunday morning, I had REALLY come down with a cold. This is about to get graphic people: The amount of snot coming out of my nose is amazing. Seriously, I must have lost like 8 pounds in snot. It's terrible. Those pesky kids bringing pesky germs home to me. I spent most of my week sick and in bed.

On the upside: Porkchop was thrilled. He spent 99 percent of the time I was in bed in bed with me, under my covers, laying over my feet. It's kind of like when the kids are sick. Of course I don't want them to be sick. But it's awfully nice just to lay on the couch with them and hang out when they are. I also enjoyed daily naps, while Asa held down the fort. I also finished three books, and played a bunch of game of words with friends.

On the downside: My plants were neglected, and I'm sorry to say, after four days of fighting the relentless sun and heat without a drop of water- they died.  Guess I'm going to have to replant- and probably something a little heartier. Asa had also worked overnight on Sunday to get half days Monday and Tuesday: but I was too sick to go do anything. We're hoping this wasn't the last chance we get for a date afternoon before school is out!

By Wednesday I was able to replace my nap time with some housework, which was good because Justin had taken a half day to go see the Avengers with Calib, Peyton, and Asa (since they didn't get to go previously). Hayden and I stayed home, and played the longest game of chutes and ladders ever. The last row every third space is a fricken chute. Ridiculous.

Today was the much anticipated Mothers Day Tea with Hayden at school. I was under strict instructions to behave myself. There were to be no kisses, and only one hug when I left. Even the hug wasn't allowed to be for very long. Calib and Peyton's lunch fell just prior to tea time, so I brought lunch to them. After all, pretty soon I'm not going to be able to bring them both lunch and eat with them at school. We sat outside at the picnic tables and enjoyed the nice weather before it gets unbearably hot. I know that's coming.

Then I headed over to Hayden's Mother's Day Tea. We had cookies, and tea- and all the kids sang songs and had a flower and some drawings to give to their mom's. Hayden had even drawn a picture of me, that Ms. Bazin said he worked very hard on. I feel as though my ears my be a bit off scale, but otherwise, it looks just like me.


After tea was over, we were told we could sign the kids out if we wanted to. I think Ms. Bazin wanted us to since she said 'We're really not doing much the rest of the day so feel free to take them home'. Hayden begged, so I caved. He's currently pretty bored as I sit here and blog. He did play for awhile in his fort him and Peyton built last night, but now He's playing a game on my kindle waiting patiently for me to finish up. A few picture uploads and we can rematch chutes and ladders.

Congratulations for the week:
My brother, Clint who became an illustrated author. http://www.amazon.com/Reflections-and-Tails-ebook/dp/B00826BCX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336735615&sr=8-1 (And I even shelled out the $2.99 to put it on my kindle!)
And my sister in law, Jessica, who is going to be an Elementary Principal!

So close yet so far away:
The Rays had a contest to see who had the worst sunglasses, and therefore needed tickets to the games and free Joe Madden sunglasses. We got a retweet- but no tickets. Boo!

We also went to Cinco De Moes and we're one order past getting a free tshirt. Boo!

Best Weather Ever:
Saturday Night at Raymond James Stadium- on the field with the breeze it was super duper comfortable!

Happy Birthday:

My sister in law, Carly- who's still in Paraguay for another year. We sent a picture to her, and when the boys say me writing the sign they complained with "Ohhhh.. whose birthday is it this time?" When I told them Aunt Carly they were happy to take the picture for once.

Finally:

My hair is now officially long enough to donate it. Too bad I won't be having it cut for another two months until I can see Vikki!

Next Up: A Bush Garden's and Adventure Island Party! And, the day that's even better than my birthday because I don't feel any older: Mother's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment