Saturday, September 1, 2012

Week 3: Powdered Toast Man In A Sloth Stampede

I wish I had a more exciting week to report on. Someday Katie's platelets are going to sky rocket, and she'll get out of the hospital and life will return to normal. Until then, my days are filled with boring stuff like getting the kids to school and cleaning the house and my evenings are generally spent at the hospital.

So, keep up the good thoughts for platelets. We're hoping Katie will get to go home early next week, before she hits the three week mark of being in the hospital. Because, that's kind of lame. Theres only so many times I can beat her in words with friends before she gets bored.

Anyway, last Saturday was a bad day for Katie, so I spent all day at the hospital. Sunday she had been doing a little better, but with hurricane Isaac on it's way, the weather wasn't really awesome. So we all went out to the hospital for a family visit. Funny note about this picture: Kevin walked in and said 'Taking pictures for your blog'. It's hard to have fun pictures to post when you're at the hospital 90 percent of the time, Kevin. Geez.

We were there a couple of hours, came home to eat dinner and straighten up the house, before Peyton and I went back up to the hospital to pick up Angela for a sleepover to help keep her mind off Katie and Kevin being at the hospital all week. When we walked out of the hospital, due to the rain, there were snails everywhere. Peyton and Angela sat and watched them for quite awhile.

About dinner time on Sunday they cancelled school for the boys on Monday (due to the hurricane). Asa checked his work email, and found out he was encouraged to work from home also due to the hurricane. Just after that another track came out, keeping the hurricane to our west. Every track that came out after that kept it shifting. I contend that I am hurricane repellent, since I've yet to have to deal with one. And the best part of all of this- theres no taksies-backsies on school cancellations and work from home time!

Monday I worked on finishing up Peyton's lesson plans for the week, while the kids played. I felt bad I didn't have any activities for them, but I am behind on lots of things. Since Asa got to work from home, once he was done I headed out to the hospital, and he took the kids puddle hopping. When Asa, Angela and the boys came to the hospital that night, we did stay a little longer thanks to a tornado warning. Other than that, we didn't really have any bad weather. A tiny bit of wind, and rain- not bad considering the boys got a hurricane day for it!

Tuesday was our first day of home school. It went really well, we constructed lots of things- a reading tree to write all the books he reads on, a reading summary post-it note board, and a daily board for him to have his spelling words, presidents, states, ect.

   


The rest of the week was more of the same:

Step 1. Get Calib Up
Step 2: Go Back to Sleep
Step 3: Get Hayden Ready for School
Step 4: Take Hayden to the Bus Stop
Step 5: Teach Peyton home school/Eat Lunch/Teach Peyton home school
Step 6: Do Minimal house cleaning
Step 7: Make Dinner
Step 8: Go to the hospital
Step 9: Go to sleep
Step 10: Repeat

So, sorry for the boring blog. Again. Blame Katie Weber's platelets. It's all their fault.

Home school is awesome, I've decided. I get we're only one week in, but Peyton is really loving it. He spent his week making a lap board with plans for his terrarium which we will be building next week for science. (Thursday night he even gave a presentation to everyone on it)We're able to go back and get him caught up with the math stuff he was behind on, and we get to watch fun stuff like Planet Earth. Oh, and we made awesome writing prompts. Mix and Match Characters, Settings, and Problems. It is awesome. He even got to write  a letter to his newest pen pal Emily. It's like he's learning things, but it's fun! And, hello, I get all the best parts of being a teacher with none of the bad parts. I get to make all his lessons, experiments, ect. However, I don't have to deal with crazy parents (well, except Asa of course), stupid school boards, or FCAT incentives. It's AWESOME.

I did manage yesterday to finish all of our home school stuff early enough in the day that Peyton and I spent the afternoon at adventure island. It was awesome, by the way. There was nobody there. (You know, cuz people have things like work and normal school) I even jumped off the cliffs and went on a ton of slides, which is super unusual for me. He went on the lillypads at least a dozen times in a row. He was so exhausted afterwards. (Check PE for the week off our list!)

Hayden also had a great week at school. He's loving his new teacher, and he's been on the Blue boat twice since school started. Green is like his everyday, good kid behavior- but Blue is above and beyond. I keep getting notes home about what a great role model Hayden is being for all his new friends. He of course got to pick out of the treasure box, and got a dog hat he thought was super awesome.

Calib also had some good days at middle school. Though, he was hoping not to get into advanced math, and therefore did not try super hard on the assessment test, he got a 69 percent. And, his Math teacher called to let me know he was getting put in advance math. I know he's not thrilled about the extra work, but he would have been so bored in regular math, I suspect.

Last Night I ran all my errands, went grocery shopping and made my nightly stop by the hospital, in the hopes of having a little more time today. We did make it to the fresh market today and collected on my free whatever pop. The laundry is all folded, and now we've got the gators on TV. Not a bad afternoon. I'll be off to the hospital after a bit, cheering on those platelets.

Up next: Middle School Open House, Fantasy Drafts, and Platelets. Lots and lots of Platelets (I hope!)

No comments:

Post a Comment