Monday, August 11, 2014

12,053 Days = 33 Years and Some Leap Days!

I know it's been a bit since my last blog, I'm sort of two weeks behind. We've just been plugging away at school work, and barring some trips to the pool and some other events, we've been having some pretty laid back evenings. Because of our upcoming trip (I'm so excited to see you all!), Asa has been working in the office lots. This will get him out of some office days while we're gone, so the dogs don't get left and he won't have to use the not-so-reliable-probably-should-have-gotten-it-checked-out car too much while we're 1,000 miles away. So, it's kind of stunk. But, the good news is we paid for it upfront, and when we get back he'll still have over a week to be at home before he has to go back into the office! Hurray!

The big news, since I last left you a week and a half ago was my birthday!  Here's the deal: I LOVE my birthday. Maybe because I had kids so young, maybe because I do lots for other people (which is totally cool 364 days a year), but having that one day a year for me, well, I always want to take full advantage of it. Last year's birthday was AMAZING! (YOU GUYS! I totally learned how to link-- and I was right, it's so much more trouble than it's worth!) And, with vacation just a few days away, Calib and Peyton's end of the summer lock-in at the library, and Asa's weird work schedule, and a Bucs away game (I was hoping it would be home-- boo)  it just wasn't possible to have my normal birthday weekend extravaganza. And while I was bummed about this, I got over it. I mean, it's my birthday, and as previously stated, I LOVE my birthday (really, not an understatement)


So, on Sunday morning, after Asa picked Calib and Peyton up from the lock-in, Hayden, Asa and I headed out to Disney. We all know I'm the planner. It's the one thing I totally believe compliments on. I totally rock as a planner. But, I don't want to have to plan my own birthday, so that was all Asa's job, and he must have learned a thing or two from the last ten years with me, because he did an awesome job.

We parked back by the beach club, like the last time we went to Disney and took the boat over to Epcot.

We stuck to the world showcase, and since we got there at open for the back of the park, it wasn't too busy. Nice and quiet that time of day at the back of the park. 


It was super hot out, you know, because it's August and I live in Florida. What can you do? I told Asa maybe we should just move my birthday to November or something. Holy sun was it sweltering. (I cannot WAIT to pack a hoodie for our trip! I hear there's lows in the sixtys!) 


and had some chocolate in France, and went to the United Kingdom for some Fish and Chips. Because who doesn't love Fish and Chips for breakfast? 


I'll tell you who doesn't.. Hayden. He tried the fish because I told him I wanted him to, and it was my birthday (oh yea, full on guilt trip). But he ate it! And then he totally over-reacted to it, and claimed he'll never eat fish again. Silly boy. 


After some Epcot, we needed some lounging. Um, a hammock, in the sand, under some palm trees? Yes please. That's like WHY I moved to Florida. 


Hayden played in the sand and on the playground. 


Asa and I have lots of hammock self-taken pictures, here's one more to add to the pile. 


Then we crashed the pool at the Swan. What makes this the best pool to go to? It's SO big, it doesn't warm up too much. Our pool is almost hot now, it's not really even refreshing. But this one? Perfect. 


I told Hayden to rinse off, since he has issues with his skin when he's been in water with chlorine, and this is what I got. 


I was so happy the weather held out for our afternoon at the pool. There were lots of clouds, and some sprinkles, but never a storm or a downpour. 


Asa went back to the car to take our towels and swimsuits, and grab the other backpack, so I killed time by letting Hayden have the camera. 


Peyton is usually our dip kiss picture photographer, but I think Hayden did pretty good on his first try. 


We went over to the boat dock and watched the ducks and played some eye-spy before heading over to Hollywood Studios. 


The main draw of the studios this summer has been all the Frozen additions they've added to the park. We hadn't been there all summer, so we thought we should check it out. 


But first, it was time for a late lunch. Asa had packed some food for Hayden, and even though it was 2:30 the kid never complained about being hungry, or being hot. Total trooper, he was. 



Despite the lunch packing, we did get two hot dogs to split- the Mac and cheese dog, and the bbq beef hotdog. They were both super good- and filling. 


I've also heard lots about the super yummy deserts at the Starring Rolls Cafe. They had cute Olaf cupcakes, but we were there for the Butterfinger cupcake. 



It totally lived up to the hype, it was SO yummy. Messy, but delicious. What made it even better? The VERY sweet Disney employee saw it was my birthday (thanks to my handy dandy birthday button) and gave it to us for free. I've said it before, and I'll say it again- Disney employees are the best. 


After we had full tummies, we went over to check out the Frozen trading post. 


Of course we brought along Olaf. They hand him out at the entrance, and I guess they encourage you to tweet pictures of yourself with him, kind of like a Flat Peyton kind of thing. Of course, we didn't do that- no smart phones, you know- but we did take him around with us. 


We hopped in line for something I was totally excited about--- 


PLAYING IN THE SNOW! 


Yes, real, actual snow! 


Hayden used some snow toys (it was GREAT packing snow), while Asa made a mini snowman! 


I feel we were woefully unprepared in our flipper floppers. It was SOOOO cold on the feet. (Not to mention the lack of traction on those things) 


But for the first, and possibly last, I got to play in snow on my birthday! How cool is that? 


And then commence, 'Do you want to build a snowman?' begin stuck in my head. 


My super awesome husband even booked us some fast passes to Toy Story Mania. Because you know we're not going on that ride without fast passes. The wait is ALWAYS insane. 


I adored all the Frozen merchandise everywhere. Such a good movie. The Olaf hats were so cute.


When we were headed out of the park, it started raining at a pretty good clip. We took the boat back, but still had to run through the rain to get to the car. 


When we got home, Peyton and Calib we're up, but still pretty out of it. Apparently staying up all night will do that to you. But, they had made me some cards, and colored me some pictures- totally unprovoked. I thought that was uber thoughtful of them. 



Hayden had made me one the day before, but gave it to me when we got home. 


And Calib colored me a Little Mermaid picture, he knows me so well. 


We decided even though it was dinner time, we all needed to work up much more of an appetite, so we headed out to the pool. We had the whole pool to ourselves, since it had been raining most of the evening. 


We came home, showered, put on our PJ's and then Hayden played some games with me while Asa and Peyton worked on cooking dinner. 


They made me kobe beef burgers and figaro fries. 


They were even better than the first time we had them. 


The boys have been asking about summer of shakes at Sonic (half price after 8 pm) so we offered to make a trip, we took Phenom along with us- he was happy for the car trip. 


We look like we're such buddies in this picture, but trust me- looks can be deceiving. 


In case your wondering why we're still down one kid, Calib stayed behind to do the dishes. He offered so we would have time for cake, Skyping, and a board game. What a good kid. 


I had my traditional angel food cake with strawberries, and skyped my mom and grandma. 33 candles seemed like a bit much, so we just went with 3-and-3. 


Yay birthdays! Thanks to everyone who called me, and thanks to Asa especially for making it a good one despite all the obstacles. 


In case your wondering if anything else has been going on, we've had some things to keep us busy. I had a friend from grade school and high school who was in town for work for a day, and she came to visit. Thanks to Melissa for buying us all dinner! We also introduced her to cockroach poker, and I hear she already ordered it for herself. 

Justin had us over for a cookout on Thursday, but I left my camera at home. I didn't even take a purse or shoes. It's just down the street. But, thanks to him for the yummy wings and burgers. They were awesome, and the boys had fun checking out his PS4. 

Hayden also had his end of the year summer reading party. We went out there Friday night to see the presentation they had for everyone who read at least six books. 


He also got his prizes (two books and a backpack), and some cookies and juice. 


Today we had Peyton and Hayden's home school evaluations. I wasn't (that) nervous about it this year, we had the same teacher evaluate us as we had last year. She's certified through grade 12 so we can use her for Calib's too (his isn't due until October). I put together some samples of the boys work and gathered up there photo books I worked on. The boys colored the front of their binders, and we were good to go. 


She was so excited to see us again this year, she said she couldn't wait to see what we had done. She gave us a glowing review, filled out there forms making them good for another year, and as she was leaving she told us we were her favorite family. You guys, I'm good at teaching home school-- yay! 


That's it from here. You probably won't hear much out of me the next couple days. We are headed north for vacation in a few days, with Asa meeting up with us via plane (lucky duck) on Tuesday. I am totally ready for some cooler weather. 

Next Up: America's Roller Coast! 



No comments:

Post a Comment