Saturday, August 16, 2014

Clicking-and-Clacking of Roller Coasters


There's really nothing like a summer night, with a nice breeze, the sound of the lake, and the click-clacking of roller coasters. Maybe it's because my college experience was so different (you know since I had a newborn and all), but Cedar Point is the one place that I really only have fond memories.. because it was like my 'college' experience. Every summer, I got to go have fun with my friends, and it was the best. Ohio gives me quite mixed bag of feelings, but Cedar Point is just a place that feels like home. So, when the boys asked if we could go out there tonight ahead of our big trip there later this week, I couldn't say no. Oh, the nostalgia. 


But, let's rewind a bit- we left Florida on Thursday morning and made the LONG drive. Florida gave us torrential downpours, and Georgia provided plenty of traffic jams. But, we only stopped twice (thanks to a small gas tank, not small kids bladders for once), so we made it to Clint's house in Knoxville in 10 and a half hours. 


We didn't get there until 8:30 though, so we just had time for a couple of games before we went to sleep, knowing we'd be up early the next morning. 


We left Clint's bright and early (though it was still dark) at 6 AM. We had A LOT of thick fog in the mountains, but we did make it to Ohio and we went straight to my grandma's house in Toledo. We visited, and the boys got out the infamous block bucket. (I played with those blocks as a kid!) 


My Great Uncle Joe, and his wife were also visiting from San Deigo, so I got to see them- and of course nobody could pass up an opportunity to celebrate my birthday a couple of days late. 


We eventually made it to Fremont- and Calib went with Jeff for the weekend. Mom took Peyton, Hayden and me out for some Dairy  Queen. 


This morning we headed out to the fair to drop off all the entries that were due today. The boys even helped my mom put out some of the things for my niece's collections. 


My dropped off her antiques, and I snapped a picture of the boys at the bicentennial barn. 


We had lunch and I went to get my hair cut- and then we headed out to Huron, where I also lived once upon a time. 


The boys climbed on the rocks, and enjoyed the awesome weather (it was 80, sunny, and breezy-- with next to no humidity!) 




Then they played on the playground for awhile. 


And we got to lay in the grass, and you know how I feel about Ohio grass. It's so nice and soft. 


We went and got the pizza box for dinner (I used to live in the apartment above it!) 


After dinner we took the back way over to Cedar Point- Peyton loved all the trees, and wanted to take a picture. 



I told the boys we could go over there as a preview for later in the week-- we're staying in the cottages, and I'm pretty excited about it. Plus we're going to the park and the water park. Coupled with the fair, and we've got a jammed packed week next week! 


We walked down the boardwalk, to the clicking and clacking of roller coasters in the distance.  


 And Peyton tried to convince Hayden he could go on lots of the big rides. I don't think it's going to happen though.


Then we sat on the beach for awhile, and the boys played in the sand. 


It's no Florida sand, but it's nice and cool on your feet. Something Florida sand is currently not. 


I did spring for putt putt (everything is SO inexpensive here compare to home! I cannot wait to see fair food prices! ) 





It would have been more fun with Calib and Asa, but we had a good time just the three of us. 


On the way home I treated the boys to some Toft's (It's only the best ice cream, ever!) 


That's it for our first day and a half in Ohio! We've got lots more coming up, so stay tuned! 

Next Up: More Ohio! 


No comments:

Post a Comment