Friday, August 1, 2014

Nobody Wants Your Fricken Sheep

It didn't really cross my mind that it was August until I just put my pictures on the laptop, and I had to make a new picture folder (I do every month). Holy moly, this year is flying by. We are all just counting down the days until Pasco County goes back to school two weeks from Monday. We'll probably do a theme week, and take a week to enjoy the low crowds and hopefully a little cooler weather, taking a little break from school work that we've been doing all summer. Peyton told me today that even after two years of home schooling, it's still weird to be so excited for summer "vacation" to end.

It's been a very busy couple of days around here, with only a couple days between now and vacation without a 'must do' scheduled event. Thursday was more boring- clean the house- run some errands kind of busy, while today featured a much more fun kind of busy. 

I told the story on facebook of Hayden and Disney Princesses, so you might already know about this- but we've all been watching the show 'Once Upon A Time', it's basically about fairy tale characters (A lot of them Disney, since it's on ABC) living in Maine. The boys love it, and while Asa and I have seen it before, we thought they'd love it, so we've all been catching up. Hayden is OBSESSED with the show. He's written stories about it, and he's converted all of his action figures into characters from Storybrook (the town the fairy tale characters live in). Rumpelstiltskin is one of his favorite characters, and he uses a cane. Hayden then took some left over PVC pipe and connectors and made his own cane. He's been using it for weeks around the house. But, he's complained that he doesn't have any girl action figures to use as the girl characters. He's been asking for Disney princesses for Christmas, but I still was unsure of how he would react with a toy in pink packaging clearly marketed towards girls. 

Yesterday morning Asa and I went to Target because the big summer toy clearance was finally happening (70% off toys! Good ones too: Marvel, Lego, Disney) We knew it was the perfect opportunity to get a head start on Christmas for Hayden (he's the only one who really does toys anymore), so we got quite a few things at a huge discount for him. I found a Belle 'action figure' in the girls aisle, and it was only $3. I told Asa we should get it and see how he does with it, so we did. I brought it home, and Asa thought we should take it out of the package before we gave it to him, but I thought that's how stuff would come at Christmas- so I wanted to see if he cared. To my surprise, he was thrilled. He didn't mind the packaging at all. I had told him he could keep the crown, dress, hair clips, brush and comb if he wanted to, but if he just wanted Belle, that was fine too. 

He really wasn't phased by any of it. He said he wanted to keep it all, and he actually really likes brushing Belle's hair. I told them they also had a Rapunzel, and he asked if we could go back today to check it out, so I told him we could- but it would likely be gone. But, we actually found one still there, and so I let him get her too. He was thrilled! Good for Hayden not worrying about what gender a toy is marketed to! 


Yesterday in our cleaning, we rented a carpet cleaner. I found it amusing when I came back from the story and found Asa cleaning the carpets in Calibs room with a VERY loud cleaner, while Calib was still snoozing away. That kid can sleep through anything. 


I needed to do a Publix run too. The gas gift cards are $10 off a $50 one when you spend (pre-coupon) $50 in groceries. My total with the $50 gas card came to $63. But the best deal of the whole trip? I got paid $4.18 to buy the Jif and the ziplocks. Score! I also got free Magnum Ice Cream Bars! Yum! 


Today was also Peyton's pre-teen Summer Reading Club party. Anyone in his age group who read and recorded six books was invited to the party. They had a drum circle for the kids, and it was really awesome. 


The guy who was conducting it was awesome, and he really got the kids involved. They were copying whatever he'd do, he'd give them simple commands- and they ended up with some really great rhythms. 


Peyton got way more into it than I thought he would too, it was great! 


Afterwards, there were drinks and cookies for everyone. 


Then he was presented with his certificate, got to pick a book (he piked Julie of the Wolves), and was given a drawstring backpack. Thank you, Land O Lakes Library for being so awesome. We love their programs. 


It was a quick stop for us at home to pick up everyone else- and then we headed out to the stadium for the Bucs Night Practice. We waited in line for autographs hoping we could get one of Vincent Jackson so Asa could get his jersey signed. Unfortunately, you just got a voucher with no idea who would be there. We hopped into a couple of lines at the end trying to boost our chances. 


We had lots of vouchers for Club B, so we headed up there and got an all-star defensive line-up, but no V Jax. (Mark Barron, Alterraun Verner, Micheal Johnson, Dashon Goldson, Lavonte David, and Gerald McCoy were all there though) 


Peyton, Asa, and Hayden all had them sign their free t-shirt from practice a couple days ago. 


And Calib asked Lavonte to sign his hat. 


We let Gerald McCoy know we still talk about that time he took us to see the Avengers. Did I have a blog then? Either way, he did and it was awesome. He said he's doing it for the sequel too! 


Then, Asa took off to see if he could trade an extra B voucher for another Club to see if he could find V Jax, still no luck though. Meanwhile, Peyton and Calib took their t-shirts from practice a few days ago and went in the line to have all the lesser-known players sign some autographs. There was like thirty of them at two really long tables, but I only had two vouchers for that, so I took Hayden over to get his picture with the cheerleaders, and met Calib and Peyton at the exit. 


We all met back up and the boys got to show Asa all the signatures they got. 


Calib was still pretty excited about his hat. 


Then it was time for free stadium food dinner. Lots of burgers, hot dogs, nachos and fries. 


After dinner, it was time for the players to get out on the field for practice, where there was finally a Vincent Jackson sighting (he's number 83). 


Oh, and there's the guy from Eastern again. Two days later he's still on the team. So, here's a funny story about that for you. Mycal Swain played college football at Eastern Michigan, and Calib and Asa know that because when they played NCAA, Asa played as EMU (because, you know, it's where I went to college). In the line with the lesser known players, Calib gets his autograph. And does he tell him 'Hey, my mom went to school at EMU'? Does he tell him 'I spent my first few years living in Ypsi?' No. He tells him 'My dad played as you in NCAA. You guys won a championship'. Which apparently, Mycal just thought was awesome, and told his teammates around him. Calib didn't even follow up with 'my dad played as EMU because my mom went there'. Nope, no mention of me. So lame, Calib. So lame. 
/Sigh


After the heat of the afternoon though, we had a lovely evening breeze while we sat and watched practice. 



Asa was particularly pleased with his free wine. 


While Hayden had a couple of cokes, and about a million nachos. 


Night practice is cool too, they have things like kicking competitions to see which kicker can make a field goal from farther, and from crazy points on the field (like the sideline) 


Then they try and get the QB's to hit the moving golf cart targets. 


New this year: The QB's tried to throw a football in a trash can in the corner of the end zone from 30 yards out. They were all pretty close, some of them even hit the trash can- but nobody got it in. 



We opted not to stay for the fireworks, as we were still about an hour away from them when we started talking about going home. But, it was a nice day out- and totally free, so you know I like that! 


We came home, and the boys all showered- Peyton was walking around in his shirt, with his Mickey slippers and Washington on his shoulder. That's just so Peyton. 


Hayden happily spent his evening brushing Belle's hair. 


Then the boys all piled in our bed to watch Gravity Falls which premiered tonight. The first two episodes were on demand, so they are finishing that up while I type my blog. 


Oh, and as for my blog title: I got this shirt yesterday. I ordered it awhile ago (it was $4!) and it finally showed up. It's a Catan thing, in case you didn't know. I love it. 


Next Up: It's FINALLY time for the Amazing Race Party! Who's going to win the coveted garden Gnome? Tune in tomorrow (or maybe Sunday) to find out! 


No comments:

Post a Comment