Saturday, February 14, 2015

Happy Gross Candy Hearts Day!

I don't really care much for Valentines Day. In fact, I'm not sure Asa and I have ever celebrated it. I'm not really sure why, but it just always seemed kind of silly to me. (No judgement on those of you who celebrate with gifts, dinner, flowers.. that just isn't our thing, at all) But, I have always celebrated it for the boys. I mean, for some reason I always thought of it as more of a kid-centric holiday (to be fair I think of most of them that way, probably because I've spent my entire adult like with kids). And, I never pass up a reason to do special activities with them, especially when they aren't in public school getting normal holiday parties. 

But, anyway, we started our morning with some fun heart shaped pancakes for brunch. 


And we've sort of decided we're going to use owl mail for special occasions and holidays, so they each had a packet of age/grade appropriate Valentines Day worksheets. Yes, those little owls are still sitting on my half wall, and probably will be until we move. 


Hayden had a build n grow today, so we went out to do that. It was inside today instead of the garden center because it was just too cold outside. Come on Florida, get it together! 



We got home and did the rest of our normal school work, boards, workbooks and such. And, our monitor which we ordered yesterday got here mid-day. It didn't even take 24 hours to arrive. Thanks, Amazon! Calib can finally get his TV back, we've been using it since the last one died about two months ago. 


The library had the monthly 'tween game day', and Hayden (now that he's 9), got to go to his first one. I was a little worried Peyton would be annoyed that Hayden was tagging along. But they got along well, played with all the other kids, and I treated them to happy hour slushies at Sonic on the way home. 


When we got home they still had some work to do on their checklists, but it was all fun Valentines activities. Peyton and Calib had a fun math lesson with those gross little candy hearts. I found a great worksheet on teachers pay teachers for free. 




Then we took those same candy hearts and conducted a little science experiment. We used various liquids and the boys all predicted what would happen to the hearts when we put them in the cup. We used apple cider, milk, water, vinegar, and pop. Then, the boys suggest we drop some in rum too. 




Some had reactions almost immediately. 


But we let them sit for about an hour before we recorded our results. 



Then the boys did a little art project, making anything they wanted out of hearts. I think I've failed as a parent, as many times as I showed Calib how to fold the paper in half and cut a heart, he just couldn't get it right. This is the kid that can legally drive a car in 3 and a half months, people. Get worried. 





I actually thought they all did a good creative job, but you have to give it up for Peyton. His was awesome. 


I think Dipper had a good Valentines day. He was OUT. 


We had our annual Valentines Day fondu dinner. 



And then we played some quick minute to win it games with those same candy hearts. That one package I bought for like $2 really covered our activities for the day. 

The first game was to move as many hearts from one cup to another using two pencils as you could in one minute. 




The second game was to see how many candy hearts you could stack in a minute. Calib and Peyton got theirs pretty tall, but then they fell. 



At the end of one minute, Hayden's was standing the tallest. 


The last game we played was trying to throw as many candy hearts in a cup across the table as you could in one minute. I played this one too, it was actually pretty fun. But, at the end of it there were a ton of candy hearts all over my kitchen. 




I am really hoping that tomorrow I can just get our Presidents Day prepped (I have everything in my head, I just need to get it all together), do the daily boards and the Sunday sit-downs with the boys and just relax. It's been one thing after another lately, and I need a day where not much is required of me. 

Next Up: I'll be back to report on our Presidential Bash on Monday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment